davebeef1

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a whole new set up.:)

Looking to trade up from MA Apex to Gold. 3.1 set up to start with then moving to 5.1.4

Speakers will be C150 Centre, Gold 50 or 100 Left & Right and Gold W15 Sub.

Question is which AVR?

Denon X4400 or X6400 or Yamaha 3070 or Pioneer 901.

Any views??
Cheers
Dave

How far will your budget stretch? Anthem would be my suggestion even though not on your list. Otherwise have a look at Marantz

I'm running the Gold 200's with the Yamaha 3070 and to me they are a very good match. I had a Denon 7200WA prior to that which had a slightly more laid back presentation (as do the Marantz) whilst the Yamaha in comparison is more up front / more neutral. The Yamaha drives harder low impedance loads with ease too - something you will need with the Gold series (not saying that the other amps can't - I have no idea!).

The Pioneer is a really nice amp too. The only reason I ended up discounting it was because it only allows a global crossover setting for the base speakers. I need to set my rear speakers (MA SoundFrame 3) with a higher x-over than for the Gold 200s.

Unless your heart is set on the Gold sub take a look at the Arendal subs. Much better performance for much less money. Even their Sub 1 will outperform it.

HB

I think the Marantz 7011 would go well if you can still find one! Last time I looked they were £899, down from the list price of £1500.

Headbanger rates the Yamaha amp and they do have a good sound, but their YPAO room EQ leaves a lot to be desired regarding set up and accuracy.

Must also say that I have a W15 Sub and it is fantastic. For someone like me who hates setting things up and having to tweak them, its built-in room EQ was an absolute godsend. Yes, other Subs probably do have more impact, but this Sub is just so easy to get right for your room and that is priceless!

I am running a pioneer 901 in a 7.1.4 set up with monitor audio GX all round and Kef R50's for the atmos

happy with the sound produced

Headbanger rates the Yamaha amp and they do have a good sound, but their YPAO room EQ leaves a lot to be desired regarding set up and accuracy.
That’s not my experience with YAPO at all. It’s done a very good job in my room. Everything snaps into focus with it engaged - much better than the Audyssey on my old Denon and Marantz AVRs. I couldn’t bear listening to music with Audyssey engaged - it just sounded wrong - thin and unnatural whereas with YAPO it just sounds ‘right’.

HB

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom