AV receiver for MA RX6 fronts

avboothroyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
A bit of advice required. Currently have q-acoustics 1000i series 5.1 surround speakers, with 1030i front connected to an Onkyo 577 receiver. I am unhappy with the sound for music, so am picking up a pair of MA RX6 next Tuesday to replace the 1030i's. I will ultimately upgrade the surrounds over time, but I also know that my Onkyo is not going to do the MA's justice.

I am preempting the inevitable amp upgrade, and looking at marantz 5005 if i can find one available, denon 1912 or an Onkyo 609. I know I need to audition the setup, but does anyone have any thoughts to the 3 options? I am getting more drawn to the demon as cost is a factor, but how good is it for 2 channel music?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Al

Last edited:
I suspect the Denon will be better than the Onkyo for 2 channel music but the Marantz is where my money would go if this is your priority........

Really you need to be looking at the level above to drive the RX range properly. Hence I would look at the Yamaha 1067 or 2067.
The 1912 and 609 are only a little bit above your current amp so feel they are not going to give you the significant improvement in sound quality you are looking for.

Thanks for the feedback, I suspected that would be the case, I'll save my pennies for a marantz and see if I can't get a 6005 in the sales . Or perhaps the denon 2312?

The RX-V1067 is now a discontinued model, you might consider the new Yamaha Aventage RX-A810 instead, very good sound quality with music, all the features you could want for movies. Above your budget yes, but you hopefully buy these things infrequently.

hifigear said:
The RX-V1067 is now a discontinued model, you might consider the new Yamaha Aventage RX-A810 instead, very good sound quality with music, all the features you could want for movies. Above your budget yes, but you hopefully buy these things infrequently.

Thanks hifigear. I will see if my budget can stretch :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom