1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receiver for existing stereo system...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NaimBoy, Jan 31, 2005.

1. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do I start..... ??

I'm the proud owner of a Naim/PMC stereo setup that I'm more than happy with, however I need to integrate an AV receiver with it for movie duties.

I'm not after all the bells and whistles as the system is actually quite simple - I don't watch TV, so the only video source is the DVD player (HDMI) which means video switching on the receiver won't get used. The layout and size of the room means it'll only ever run 5.1 as there's nowhere to put the 6th or 7th speakers. And finally, as it's being integrated with the 2ch stereo, the amp will only be powering the centre and rear speakers - the front left and right will be going through the Naim kit.

So, what does it need to do. Well.....

a) Must have pre-outs so I can connect to the Naim pre/power amp
    b) Must have lip sync delay
    c) Ideally it should be configurable using it's own display as it won't be plugged into the Projector

Simple really.... as long as it's a reasonable match to the Naim amp in terms of sound quality/presentation then I'll be a happy bunny. I have no brand allegiance so feel free to recommend any brand. As for the speakers it'll be driving - there'll be a PMC TB2+ centre and probably a pair of KEF5005s or maybe a pair of M&K K4s at the rear.

Contenders at the moment appear to be the Denon 2805/3805, Yamaha 1500/2500, Pioneer 2014, Marantz 7500 or the Sony 3000ES

It goes without saying that I don't give a :censored: about its performance with music - just movies. Oh, and the budget - preferably no more than £800 - less is fine too.... :thumbsup:

Any advice will be gratefully received....

Cheers,
    Mark

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Tbh the ones you have short-listed at the moment would seem fine for the job. Normally a lot of people have problems as they need an amp that’s good for movies and music. Given that you’ve side-stepped this all of the above are good amps (although haven’t heard the Sony).

However, each amp does have their own ‘character’ so would advise a demo. The Pioneer’s are more in-your-face than the others imo whilst the Marantz is a lot more subtle, probably better if you prefer more dialogue heavy movies (Kazman should be able to add to this). I would say the Denon and Yamaha fall between the two.

I have a Yamaha 750SE and love it, although it is way below your price range.

I initially was leaning towards the £800-£1k price bracket when I was on the market for an amp, However, after extensive demo’ing I felt the more expensive amps didn’t offer enough over what I was looking for to justify the price difference. Give it a demo, you may like it :)

3. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I think that the above answer is all you need. If you like the Naim/PMC sound, you're clearly an "in yer face" kind of a guy. So the Pio is gonna get you nearest to that impact your 2-channel kit gives. I think the Marantz is gonna be a little "soft" for your taste (their av kit is nearer to the sound of their regular gear, rather than the "faster" sounding KI Sig gear).

Will your hifi dealer let you take one home to try out?

4. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys......

Looks like Pioneer followed by Denon if I'm going to get a 'Naim'-ish sound, trouble is my dealer doesn't do Pioneer...

Anyone have experience of the Pioneer 1014/2014 - specifically, do they have to use the OSD on a connected display for configuration ?

Cheers,
    Mark

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Don't know about the Pio's specifically, but I can configure my 750SE without the OSD.

6. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm..... just downloaded the Pioneer manuals - looks like it's setup is driven through the OSD - same for the Yammy 1500/2500 :(

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Are you sure that the setup for the Yamaha's have to be driven through your display? My manual for the 750SE says connect the amp to tv etc. but it is not necessary, you can just as easily run it without.

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The 1500 and 2500 have only basic setup on the front display, the rest of it has to be configured via the TV I believe.

Out of the ones you have listed, and considering the type of sound you prefer, the Pioneers seem to be the best buy. It's just that someone needs to confirm the setup method beforehand.

9. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that's the problem of trying to figure it out from the manual..... guess I really need to get my hands on one at a decent dealer !

My local dealer does Denon, Arcam & Yamaha - anyone know somewhere in the Bracknell area that I can get a dem of a Pioneer ?

Cheers,
    Mark

10. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I went straight from a Naim 2 channel setup to a Denon 3805, while the Denon sounds a good bit softer it does time fairly well (certainly better than the Arcam AVR300 that I expected to walk away with) so it may suit a Naim fan.