AV Receiver for A38 + MA RX AV12

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jshailes, Jan 31, 2014.

1. jshailes

jshailes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I've currently got the Monitor Audio Silver AV package and am looking for a second hand AV Receiver but not sure what to get. I've heard it's beneficial to use a stereo amp for the fronts (Arcam A38) but receiver wise I have no idea what to get (there seem to be so many) or how much to spend. Budget-wise I don't mind going up to about £1000 if it's going to be worth it, but would prefer to buy something a bit cheaper now that'll hold its value and upgrade later if I feel the need.

Receivers I've been looking at:
    Denon AVR-1910 - £200
    Denon AVR-2310 - £300
    Yamaha A2010 - £500
    Yamaha A1020 - £500
    Pioneer LX82 - £500

Am I looking at the right ones? Are there any others that might be a bargain second hand? I thought since the Arcam would be driving the fronts it might make it easier to save on the receiver?

2. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    If the 2010 is in good condition I'd take that for 500. Only problem is no airplay on that model which would be an issue for me but may not be for you. The 1020 has airplay but is a step down. Whatever the case you'll want a model with preouts.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Anthem MRX500 (5 Yr Warranty + Keyspan USB) - Quantum AV

Due to the release of the new Anthem range their are bargains on the older MRX500. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the others you mentioned but definitely has it where it counts in sound quality!

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Unfortunately all AVRs lose large amounts of money each year due to new features etc. buying secondhand can mean a lot of the losses have been taken by someone else. Does the 1910 have preouts? You will need to ensure whatever receiver get has preouts if you want to use a stereo amp for the fronts. However, if you get something like the 2010 you may well feel there is no need to go for the stereo amp options which can be a bit of a pain to set up.
    From your list I would say you probably want to go slightly higher up the range than the 1910 to get the best from your speakers so I would not get that one and the Pioneer may not be the best tonal match to your speakers although a lot will depend on your personal sound preference.

5. jshailes

jshailes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks all for your input.

I've been reading about some of the features of av receivers and one feature I've come across is spotify support. It certainly is a nice to have, so I've been looking for some bargains on the Yamaha A1030 and found it for £711 which I thought was pretty good/not quite as much to lose!

Do you think the A1030 would be suitable? mtenga said the A1020 was a step down but looking at the specs the A2020/A2030 look pretty similar (mostly just the power output), and since it'd have the amp driving the fronts wouldn't this help/offset it?

I've looked at the outputs on the A1030 and it has sub preout, would it be possible to put my sub on the amp rather than the av reciever (either Arcam A38 or CA 740A)?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. jshailes

jshailes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry, just realised I was being a bit thick with the sub - the preout on the receiver actually goes into the sub. There is a 'Multi Channel In' for a subwoofer though so I suppose I'd just put the preout on the amp into that input.

7. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Yamaha tend to put quite a bit more into their two top aventage models each year: 20xx and 30xx. It's not just power, there are various features that differentiate the higher models including, nine channel options, better EQ, different DACs, more DSP, in earlier years they had a different video solution than lower models etc... You can tell for a start that the two top aventage models have their own manual separate from the lower models.

But at 700 for a new 1030 is cheap and I'd grab it. It's got different DACs than last year and an independent 2nd HDMI which is nice. Yamaha and monitor audio are often mentioned together as good partnering kit and it would easily drive that package.

If it helps I had a choice between a 2020 and 1030 at roughly the same price and I chose the older 2020.

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Not sure what you are trying to achieve here. The stereo amp and sub would connect to the avr preouts. You would not connect stereo amp to multi channel inputs on avr. All sources would go to avr and stereo amp used to drive fronts while avr does bass management to sub.

9. jshailes

jshailes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was looking to be able to use the sub (2.1) with sources that go to the amp..

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    If the stereo amp has a sub preout then connect this to the sub as well as the preout from the AVR. Most subs will have 2 RCA inputs (usually marked L/R). If only have one then use a Y cable to connect the 2 into 1.

11. jshailes

jshailes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks PSM1, that sounds like a perfect solution :)