AV Receiver for 4K Consoles, SKY HD and UHD Blu Ray

HMTB

Hi all,

I've never bought or considered an AV receiver before so know very little about them. I currently have a Sony Xe9005 with a Sony soundbar connected directly to the TV. I have my UHD Blu Ray player and Sky HD plugged into HDMI ports 1 & 4 respectively and my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X plugged into ports 2 & 3.

HDMI port 4 has been broken when the cable was yanked out by somebody moving the cabinet from underneath the wall mounted TV. The port no longer works at all. HDMI port 1 still functions well though the cable no longer fits as snugly as it did. Ports 2 & 3 were not connected at the time and so are fine.

I've bought a Fivehome 5in1 4K60HZ, HDR, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI switcher to resolve the issue of having a at least one port less than I need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Fiv...46715531&sr=8-3&keywords=fivehome+hdmi+switch

However, I have read that these types of switchers can be problematic and are generally cheaply made. I don't want to buy a new tv, so was considering a basic AV receiver like the Denon AVRX250 which can be had for £150. It seems to have what I need, but I'm really not sure. All I want is to be able to connect it to HDMI port 2 on my tv and then connect my UHD Blu Ray player, Sky HD box, PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch to it. I don't intend to connect speakers or anything else to it - I would just use my existing soundbar.

Sorry for the long post, but does the Denon AVR250 look like it would be suitable for my needs and TV? Or would I be fine with just the HDMI switcher?

AVR-X250BT

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Last edited:

Crafty

It isn't really design purely as an HDMI switch, my biggest question is whats going to happen with the sound ? I am not 100% sure that you'd be able to pass the sound via HDMI to the TV, which you presumably then want to pass to the soundbar somehow ? How does the soundbar you have connect ?

Sounds to me you'd be best off using a simple HDMI switch like you already have, is that switch causing any problems at the moment ? if not, just stick with that.

If you want to go the AVR route I think you need to consider a speaker setup of some kind, be it 2.0 all the way to 5.1 and beyond.

HMTB

It isn't really design purely as an HDMI switch, my biggest question is whats going to happen with the sound ? I am not 100% sure that you'd be able to pass the sound via HDMI to the TV, which you presumably then want to pass to the soundbar somehow ? How does the soundbar you have connect ?

Sounds to me you'd be best off using a simple HDMI switch like you already have, is that switch causing any problems at the moment ? if not, just stick with that.

If you want to go the AVR route I think you need to consider a speaker setup of some kind, be it 2.0 all the way to 5.1 and beyond.

Thanks for the response. The soundbar connects to the tv via an Optical/ Digital Audio Out cable directly to the TV.

The HDMI port was broken yesterday, so I still haven't received the HDMI Switcher. I ordered it this morning as an immediate knee jerk reaction - it arrives sometime tomorrow. I then thought it might be a messy and fairly cheap/flimsy and unsophisticated solution, so I started looking at AV receivers as an alternative either in case the Switch doesn't work well (i.e. drops signal, auto switches etc) or as something that might look and work better.

I had thought that the sound would just continue to come out via the soundbar - I hadn't thought it absolutely needed speakers. Going down the speaker route is not something I want to do given my set up at home.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom