1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receiver for 2 channel?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nike, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Don’t know if anyone can help me or at least tell me if I’m on a ‘hiding to nothing’.

Currently my HC sound is based around my 2-channel set-up. The amplification consists of Rotel RC972/RB971 pre/power combo with all the ‘music’ components feeding this. I also have a Yamaha DSP-E800 to add surround.

Effectively the RB971 power amp (& front l/r speakers) is ‘shared’ between HiFi & AV duties.

What I want to know, is how much money would I have to spend on an AV receiver to equal (preferably improve though) the sound quality I’m getting from my current set-up in 2-channel for music?

I’ve looked at the specs for the Pioneer VSX-D2011-S & I’m sure it would be impressive with movies, but am I going to miss the Rotels when I’m playing music? Or have things moved-on in the world of AV amps in the last 4 years? I originally got the Yam DSP-E800 so I could enjoy surround sound without compromising 2 channel sound.

Current Set-up:

Hi-Fi:
    MF X-ray CD
    Rega 3
    MF X-lps phono stage
    Denon TU260L mkII
    Rotel RC972 Pre
    Rotel RB971 Power
    Tannoy 638 speakers

AV
    Limit 9900SE
    JVC S-VHS deck
    Yamaha DSP-E800
    Tannoy MXC/MXRs

As you can see, the switch to an AV Receiver would allow me to ‘lose’ about 5 boxes! (practical consideration there)

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    The AV Amps which **MAY** be suitable for you would be NAD T752, Arcam AVR200 and Rotel RSX1055 or RSX1065 (prices rising from around £600 to £1700 - listed in order)

I don't think you'll find that the Pioneer (or a Denon 3803 or similar around £1000) will give you music as good as your Rotel Pre/Power amp combination.

Your alternative is to take the next step which will get you closer to "Hi-Fi" performance combined with Music and look at the Rotel 1066 (£1000) or Cyrus AV7 (£1100) for which of course you'll need 5/6/7 channels of amplification.

Victoria

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I think that the Arcam Diva 85 amp can be used in "Processor" mode alongside a good midrage AV (H/K4500, Marantz 5300) amp. I have heard the Arcam and can say that it is a good'n, though I am not sure on how the "processor" mode works (didn't try it when I had it on home dem). This would offer, IMO, a better stereo performance than your Rotels and give you the AV possibilities that you want.

I would again offer Harman/Kardon (AVR7500 or 8500) as a good all in one option should this be a better option

Russell

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I'm not really sure the Arcam A85 is going to give much of an upgrade to Nike's system. The Rotel Pre/Power amp was very respected at the time and probably matching in quality the Arcam - though the sound would be different. The processor function of the A85 is just the ability to fix the level of an input so that each time you change source (AV Amp / other stereo sources) you don't have to keep adjusting the volume of the stereo amp - not a feature worth spending £800 on IMO. Apart from that ... the only "upgrade" that Nike would be to replace 2 boxes (the pre/power amp) with a single box (I suppose if you got the internal phono stage you wouldn't need that either).

To be honest ... unless you are willing to spend £1500 upwards on a processor and power amp combination, I don't think you'll find anything which sounds as good in stereo with AV capabilities built in - the NAD/ Arcam / Rotel are probably the closest but you'd have to take a listen - the high end Marantz are also meant to sound good with music too. I've never heard the Harman/Kardon AV amps either for AV or Music duties so can't comment really but I have seen lots of differing opinions about them.

If you wanted more AV features (PLII / DTS-ES / DD-EX) then you can always replace the Yamaha DSP-E800 with a low to mid end AV Reciever (i.e. Marantz SR4300/5300, Yamaha AX630 or similar with pre-outs).

BTW - do you have Sky (I know it's not listed) cause if so they have most national radio stations on there so would be worth investigating with a view to ditching the Tuner. The quality when I've listened has been very good on stuff I've listened to.

Victoria

5. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the replies; I think I'm going to 'hold-fire' for now.

Sounddog,
    I don't have Sky, I either listen to music or watch films (mostly on dvd) & am not really fussed about TV/Sky. I don't listen to much radio either!

You are correct that the 'Arcam' route would just mean that for surround use I'd be using the power amps (pre-in) in that rather than direct to my Rotel power amp.
    At present, I have a QED switch box so that the Rotel pre and the Yam DSP 'share' the power amp. This means there are no volume levels to adjust when going from music to movies.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I think unless you're prepared to spend the money on the Processor/Poweramp route then not doing anything is the best plan.

I hadn't realised that you were using a QED switch between the Yamaha / Rotel Pre and the Poweramp so of course there is no level needing altering.

Victoria

7. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Solomly nods head. Aye, you would have to spend a few thousend to really get the quality your after from an av amp in 2 channel stereo. Although saying that Rotel do make the RSX1055 av receiver which sells for about £1200 which may do the trick.