• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV Receiver - DVI?

O

osbornej76

Hi,

Am confused about how an AVR would work in my planned setup.

My 32PF9986 LCD is connected to my DVD via DVI, and via SCART to my SKY STB. I understand that few (if any) reasonably priced AVR (£300) have DVI/HDMI or SCART switching.

Therefore why would I invest in a an AVR? Would a simple 5.1 decoder amplifier do the same thing??

Or would the alternative be to convert all non component inputs from native, to Component and then fback again just to comply with the AVR?

Getting confused!!!
:confused:

Thanks

BobBob21

Prominent Member
A 5.1 DD/DTS intergrated decoder/amplifier is an AVR (as long as it has a radio other wise it is an AV amp) - imo the likes of video switching is a nice to have feature but not the main duties of an AVR.

There are very few AVRs that do scart switching and I havent come across any yet that will do DVI/HDMI switching (nor up conversion from scart to dvi/hdmi)

Kazman

Prominent Member
There are a few that do DVI and HDMI switching.

Panasonic have an AV amp out at the moment, but it isn't brilliant unfortunately. The others are all in the £1000 price bracket and upwards: Marantz SR8500 (DVI switching), Marantz SR9600 (Coming soon, HDMI switching), and Denons new flagship monster at £4000 which does both HDMI and DVI switching.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom