1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Receiver - DVI?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by osbornej76, Feb 15, 2005.

1. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Am confused about how an AVR would work in my planned setup.

My 32PF9986 LCD is connected to my DVD via DVI, and via SCART to my SKY STB. I understand that few (if any) reasonably priced AVR (£300) have DVI/HDMI or SCART switching.

Therefore why would I invest in a an AVR? Would a simple 5.1 decoder amplifier do the same thing??

Or would the alternative be to convert all non component inputs from native, to Component and then fback again just to comply with the AVR?

Getting confused!!!
    :confused:

Thanks

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    A 5.1 DD/DTS intergrated decoder/amplifier is an AVR (as long as it has a radio other wise it is an AV amp) - imo the likes of video switching is a nice to have feature but not the main duties of an AVR.

There are very few AVRs that do scart switching and I havent come across any yet that will do DVI/HDMI switching (nor up conversion from scart to dvi/hdmi)

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    There are a few that do DVI and HDMI switching.

Panasonic have an AV amp out at the moment, but it isn't brilliant unfortunately. The others are all in the £1000 price bracket and upwards: Marantz SR8500 (DVI switching), Marantz SR9600 (Coming soon, HDMI switching), and Denons new flagship monster at £4000 which does both HDMI and DVI switching.