Quantcast

AV Receiver Buying Guide

dipayan

Well I am using a used "yamaha htr 3067" av receiver for the past 2 years. I have 2 Polk t15 speker as my front and one Polk t30 as my center channel speaker. This new year I have decided to upgrade my receiver because the old one does not have HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2) as my tv is 4k. So I have decide to select from this below listed av receivers.

PREFERRED AV RECEIVER:
  1. Marantz NR1509
  2. Yamaha RXV485
  3. Denon AVRx550BT
  4. Denon X Series AVRx-1400H
MY SPEAKER CONFIG:
  1. FRONT: POLK T15 ( 1 pair (8 ohm))
  2. CENTER: POLK T30 (1 (8 ohm))
  3. REAR: POLK T15 ( 1 pair (8 ohm))
  4. SUBWOOFER: POLK PSW10
From this listed receiver I am not able to decide which receiver should I go for. Does DAC of this models really matters?. My preference is Denon AVRx550BT as it's little less expensive as compared to others. But I am ready to spend extra if others are worth spending that extra. Can any one tell me which one should I go. As my preference is for good audio quality with Budget. All the listed models are in the almost same budget. Please help me and give some expert opinion.

Last edited:

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
The first thing I would try and do is see if you can get a demo or even better a home trial, most good dealers will supply one for home demo.

This way you can try it in your room with your kit, let us know how you get on.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Always auditioning where possible is always advised.

As sound is very subjective, its very hard for anyone to say which one will be best to you, but Marantz are usually top at this level (price point) for dual requirements when music and film is wanted, Yamaha are always seen as the safe bet as they do everything extremely well, but they may miss the final heartbeat compared to the Yamaha (remember that doesn't mean the Marantz is better than the Yamaha either to your ears as you are coming from a Yamaha you may find that that is your preferred sound). Denon do extremely well with film and they do this with a marginal sacrifice to the music and stereo reproduction when compared to the other two brands mentioned above. As to which one of the two is better, I feel you would be picking these on features only as they will be very comparable to each other

Also note, you usually get what you pay for, so spending as much as you can afford usually means you will keep the product longer as you will not be as inclined to upgrade it due to its short comings

dipayan

thanks for the quick reply. As I am a lover of movies, I think i would like to go for the Denon. Do you think am i right? Is Denons audio quality is better than Yamaha?.
Always auditioning where possible is always advised.

As sound is very subjective, its very hard for anyone to say which one will be best to you, but Marantz are usually top at this level (price point) for dual requirements when music and film is wanted, Yamaha are always seen as the safe bet as they do everything extremely well, but they may miss the final heartbeat compared to the Yamaha (remember that doesn't mean the Marantz is better than the Yamaha either to your ears as you are coming from a Yamaha you may find that that is your preferred sound). Denon do extremely well with film and they do this with a marginal sacrifice to the music and stereo reproduction when compared to the other two brands mentioned above. As to which one of the two is better, I feel you would be picking these on features only as they will be very comparable to each other

Also note, you usually get what you pay for, so spending as much as you can afford usually means you will keep the product longer as you will not be as inclined to upgrade it due to its short comings

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
thanks for the quick reply. As I am a lover of movies, I think i would like to go for the Denon. Do you think am i right? Is Denons audio quality is better than Yamaha?.
It’s quite a tough one to answer to be truthful as everyone’s perception on what’s good can mean many different things.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Denon, but as to it being better, that’s such a personal thing and I don’t think anyone other than you could answer that question correct

Top Bottom