Question AV Receiver buying advice for 4k HTPC setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alitech, Jun 15, 2015.

1. alitech

alitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Hey guys

Just invested in a new Samsung 4K tv (UE75JU7000). This is coming in a couple of days and I am well excited. I have an ageing Marantz Nr1601 receiver that I want to now upgrade so I can take advantage of 4K passthrough etc.

I will be running an HTPC. I am planning to upgrade the graphics card to a GeForce GTX 960 so that I have HDMI 2.0 support. I want to be playing all the videos I have recorded in 4K with my mobile phones and cameras. I want to pass through video to the TV but want to process all sound with the receiver.

Moving forward, I will probably look at adding the new spec of UHD blu ray player which will need HDCP 2.2 as well. Other than that, I am not sure what else is in the pipline for things like playstation and chromecast (which I currently have).

On a quick google search, I found that the new Onkyo TX-NR646 (2015) and TX-NR636 (2014) fits the bill well (in my current price range) however, as I am not an expert, I'd like to know if this is the best choice for me. Currently I am only looking at compatibility and adaptability without giving a lot of thought on sound, asthetics or ultimate future proofing.

What are your thoughts and suggestions on this? Is this the right receiver or is it too much focused on the now. Is there a better receiver in the works? What should I look out for when buying? Any first hand experience with the NR636?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    I'd personally stay clear of Onkyo. They use a very peculiar room EQ correction system and Onkyo no longer use Audyssey. THey've also experienced poor reliability in recent years.

What is your budget? I'd maybe suggest the Denon AVRX2200W when it arrives in the stores.

3. alitech

alitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Thanks dante01

My budget is a max of £500. I was really leaning on the Onkyo at this point because of the price. What else apart from Audessey is an advantage of the Denon?

I think its just been announced. Should take about 4 to 5 months to hit the shelves.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    The AVRX2200W costs £500 and if its predecessor is anything to go by, it will be a better receiver than the Onkyo. The AVRX2200W is due in stores next month (July).Also note that the TXNR636 although sporting HDMI version 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant, cannot handle the full potential bandwidth associated with UHD content. Onkyo chose to adopt a very early HDMI version 2.0 chipset for the 636 that compromises the throughput and its capabilities compared to more recent HDMI chipset versions used onboard the next wave of receivers. Also note that this would also prevent the TXNR636 from being able to upgrade its HDMI chipset to version 2.0a. HDMI version 2.0a is the most recent version and will be required for High Dynamic Range (HDR) UHD video.

Here comes HDMI 2.0a, a specification update for HDR support in 4K UHD content -

5. alitech

alitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Ok thats interesting. It is similar price range and I guess I could wait a few more weeks for this. Will need to think about how best to use the current amp to do everything I want to do.

There is a new Onkyo 646 landing this month. This might have the 2.0a compliance, will look into that.

6. alitech

alitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Hey Dante

Where have you read that this will land in July? Just trying to find this information. They have not even listed this AVR on the denon site yet and no retailer has a listing. Only some news websites have had articles around it.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    Some retailers attended the do D&M held in Monte Carlo to announce new products for this year. The same retailers were given suggested pricing and availability dates:

Denon Conference - New AVR's for 2015 | AVForums

You can also get limited info relating to the final specifications from the same retailer:
    Denon Denon AVR X2200W AV Receiver | Quantum AV

D&M only sell their goods via authorised retailers so you can be assured the the info is legitimate and correct at this point in time.

AVForums were also present at the conference:
    https://www.avforums.com/article/denon-launch-new-range-of-av-receivers-with-dolby-atmos-dtsx.11624

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  8. alitech

alitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Awesome thanks for the info dante01. You have convinced me. I just hope I can get a 2.0a firmware update for the new TV that I just bought. So not its not just adaptability and compatibility I have taken into account, its also better sound and audessey thanks to you.

I am hoping we get a decent number of HDMI 2.0 inputs with this receiver. At least 4 I am hoping.