• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AV receiver as HDMI switch

Jonathanc1985

Established Member
Apologies for the newbie post in this section.

I'm currently fitting a TV and AV setup into a disused chimney breast and I've got to the issue of cabling.

My initial plan was to run 4xHDMI leads from the TV down to the units underneath. Now after looking at it, there are a number of other devices I may want to connect and with the TV mounted to the wall it won't be easy.

We won't be in this house for long and the plan for the next house is a dedicated cinema room. So to get to my question, can I buy an AV receiver to use solely as a HDMI switcher for this setup (using the TVs speakers) with the long term plans to use separate speakers in the new house?

noidea

Established Member
Yes I'd have thought so but it would be cheaper to get a switch. By the time you move current models of receivers will probably have fallen in price by more than the cost of a switch

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'We won't be in this house for long' - how long is not for long?

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A Switch makes more sense - you can always claw back a chunk of the outlay by selling it on later.

As others have said AVR's evolve at a rapid pace - two year ranges from now could bring big changes.

Power consumption is another consideration - having an AVR powered up just to act as a switch makes no sense.

Media Factory - Octava HDS5-UK, 5x1 HDMI switch

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom