Question AV receiver and surround sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marc.knuckle, Jun 10, 2017.

1. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i was recently thinking about getting a surround sound set up but then was coming across recommendations to get an AV receiver. i havent got a clue as the furthest i have gone is a soundbar and subwoofer. so...

1) how would the setup go? i have numerous devices including sky q and ps4 pro with a PSVR headset. any thoughts and recommendations definitely welcome.

2) do i need a receiver? if not, would it improve things much over just having 5.1 SS?

3) any specific recommendations on a budget? richer sounds and amazon have the yamaha rxv381 for £170. is that a good one? what 5.1 speaker set?

4) when it would be all hooked up, how would things turn on, switch over etc? i cant quite picture it as i have never been involved with these 2 pieces of tech.

cheers guys, marc

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    An AV receiver provides superior surround sound provision when compared to that provided by a soundbar. You would however also need to buy the speakers and subwoofer as well as the receiver.

I'd maybe suggest you set you sights a little higher than one of the entry level receivers and maybe look at something like the Yamaha RXV681 or DEnon AVRX2300? THese will gve you some degree of expansion should you feel the desire to.

Things work on power on and off in much the the same manner as they would if using a soundbar.

3. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers.

i cant stretch to that sort of cost which is why i was looking at the rxv381.

if the ps4 pro's hdmi is connected to the psvr processor unit then that is connected to the tv, would i simply connect the psvr unit to the av receiver then that into the tv?

what would connecting it to the hdmi with ARC achieve considering i would connect all devices to the receiver first? i.e. psvr unit to av receiver, sky q the same, android box the same and lastly the wii u as well.

thanks for the help

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    You'd ideally connect sources directly to the AV receiver. The AV receiver would then process and amplify the audio while passing the video signal through to a display. The PSVR complicates matters to some degree and you'd need to seek the advice on how best to connect this from someone better versed than me on the PSVR and its operation.

ARC enables you to convey audio associated with content accessed via the TV back to the AV receiver using the HDMI cable otherwise used to send video to the TV from the AV receiver. THis can be useful if you've a smart TV that you access Netflix or other streaming services via. It negates the need to use an additional audio connection from the TV to the AV receiver.

5. brantuk

brantuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    From the faq's on sony website it says you can use the "PU out" on the power unit, to connect to your avr. This will enable you to display in 2D whatever is seen in the PSVR headset. It will also let you play games and watch blurays (bitstreamed) on your tv through the avr as usual.
    I connect my PS4 to the "Game" HDMI input of the avr and when the amp is on I just turn on the PS4 and it auto switches to that input. Some avrs you may require you to choose the input manually (eg if it's set to default to the last used input on start up).

6. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers guys.

so, any specific recommendations for the av receiver roughly in price range of approx £169 that the rxv381? also for decent 5.1 SS speakers under £200?

so with everything connected to the receiver and the hdmi out from receiver in the tv's arc input, that would mean that whatever i was playing at the time would send its sound through the receiver and into the 5.1?

thanks again

7. brantuk

brantuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    The PSVR will still connect to the PS4 directly via "PU in" and the USB sockets. Only the "PU out" goes to the avr. Ensure you get an avr with hdmi pass through - then if the amp is in standby mode the tv speakers can be used.
    I don't know too much about this speaker package but it is Denon which are well respected and it's in your price range. DENON SYS2020Black 5.1 Speaker Package
    Might be worth looking at.

8. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers guys

those speakers look good. any ideas what the differenc would be compared to the yamaha nsp40?

9. brantuk

brantuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Yamaha's a good make too but I've never heard either set so can't really comment on sound quality. It's been a long time since I shopped in this price range and I don't know if you'd get a demo from a retailer - you can always ask I guess.

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    You're not really going to get anything that is articularly remarkable given your proposed budget. Even of the 2 budget speaker packages will suffice. The Yamaha package may however better suit the tonal signature of the receiver though?

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    The Yamaha RXV381 lacks this ability.

12. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers both.

about the pass through then. which i presume the more expensive rxv581 would have. at present i have my soundbar connected via optical and the tv's speakers completely disabled so when i turn on the tv it also powers on the soundbar and also the same when turning off. what would this look like if i were to use this feature? keep the tv's speakers turned on but the receiver disables it while it is on and enables it when off?

is it better to spend more on the receiver and less on speakers or vice versa?

thanks again

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    THe RXV481 or above would all include the ability to passthrough an HDMI signal while the receiver is in standby.

YAMAHA RXV481Black AV Receiver

You could do as you are already doing and choose to not use the TV's own inbuilt speakers, but the feature does allow you to passthrough any HDMI source if you so wish and use the TV without having to also use the AV receiver.

In an ideal setup then the 5.1 package would cost more than the receiver. You'd ideally be spending at least double the cost of the receiver on the speakers and preferably treble the cost to get a well balanced setup. The ideal cannot always be achieved though by those with a limited budget. The speakers effect the quality of what you hear more than the AV receiver does.

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    What budget do you have for both the speakers and the receiver? You can sometimes get a better deal when buying both as a bundle.

15. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the budget will be driven by what i can persuade the missus is worth spending on 'another gadget'. i'm thinking i could get away with £300 so could work a bit upwards but not far. maybe £400?

16. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    speakers wise i am leaning towards either the yamaha nsp40 or the denon sys-5.1. both on amazon uk. both approx £150. any thoughts appreciated

17. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    I'd advise you spend more on the speakers than the cost of the receiver powering them. You ideally need to spend at least twice the price and preferable triple it in order to end up with a balanced setup. The speakers are the elements that portray the audio and influence the way it sounds far more than the device processing or amplifying it.

18. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi guys.

another issue/problem is that my tv is in the corner of the room. so no surround sound solution will be ideal and i cant change the location of the tv.

so if i have the centre and 2 front speakers by the tv, should i 1) place both rear speakers behind the furthest settee from the tv where we mainly sit thus giving a less than ideal listening experience for the settee on the right or 2) the left rear behind the left settee high on the wall and right rear behind the right settee high on the wall?

19. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so i went for the yamaha rxv681 av and canton movie 75 speakers.

i cant seem to get a clear idea of what cable to get to connect the subwoofer. the av instructions simply say 'audio pin cable' and the speakers instructions say a standard cinch cable or double cinch cable. ?????

also, the av receiver has 1 connection for each of the 2 sub ports whereas the sub has left and right on the low level and left and right + and left and right- on high level. ?????

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  20. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    All you need to connect an active sub to most AV receivers is a singe 75 ohm coax cable terminated with RCA connectors. A cinch plug is the same as an RCA plug.

RCA connector - Wikipedia

21. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers. does the length of the cable effect anything like it would with hdmi?

so either this KabelDirekt 7.5m Digital Coaxial and Subwoofer Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

or would this give any benefit KabelDirekt 7.5m Y Subwoofer Audio Cable - PRO Series: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

22. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
  23. marc.knuckle

marc.knuckle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the help. it makes me wonder what the extra connections would do if mono is fine.

24. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    They are there to facilitate connecting an active sub to a stereo amp lacking a dedicated sub pre out.