Question AV Receiver advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tim_Field, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tim_Field

Tim_Field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

I'm going 5.1 for now with some decent speakers (about £5K retail, Spendor and Martin Logan). I'm after an AV receiver that sounds good in the main, rather than having loads of features. I am interested in Atmos at some point but don't need to run it right now. Under £1k ideally, what would you get? I don't mind older units and I will buy second hand.

Thanks, Tim

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,335
    With the quality of speakers you are talking about then for a one box solution you will really need a top performing receiver such as an Arcam 390 at the very least, preferably a 550. There are other good receivers from Yamaha, Denon and Marantz but all will easily breach your budget for new.

A new Denon X4400 will more than fulfill your current needs and be within budget. It will then be possible in future to improve audio quality, especially if stereo music is important, is to add an integrated stereo amp with HT bypass into the 5.1 layout. That will certainly give a better stereo performance than that afforded by the majority of receivers.

Denon AVR-X4400H

3. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,152
    If you are looking to use the system for 2 channel music then the Marantz SR7012 would be a good option. A little more 'musical' than the Denon.

You could also consider the Cambridge CXR200, a bit low on features, but very high on sound quality, which seems to be what you are looking for. Some unboxed / refurbished become available from time to time at around £1200.

4. Tim_Field

Tim_Field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the recommendations. Arcam 390 looks like a good choice. I already have a 7 channel power amp from them so I could always bypass the amps. Would you get this or an older higher end model?

X4400 seems like a safe choice too but I'm liking the idea of going with the Arcam due to the quality of the pre-amp section (or am I missing something)?

Not seeing good things about the CA other than sound quality, concerned about the lack of support for latest formats. Wouldn't it be better to get a mega amp from a few years ago if I don't get the latest formats? That should be cheap(ish).

5. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,152
    If you already have a 7 channel power amp then that changes things a little. As in, you will only need to use the AVR as a pre-amp. Although you can get just a processor, but they tend to be more expensive.

An Arcam would be a good choice but unlikely you will find one for under £1000. You could go used, but the older models don't have a great reputation for reliability. A Marantz would still be a good option. You could get one new in budget. The Cambridge would be a bit wasted if you are using external amplification, as the quality of its internal power amps are it's main strengths.

6. Tim_Field

Tim_Field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guys your advice is much appreciated. So what I think I'd like is to use the AV amp as a pre for my power amp.

I'd also like the future flexibility of adding an integrated amp at some point too for high performance 2 channel. I wouldn't want the AV amp to turn the incoming signal into digital then convert it back to analogue for the pass through, are there any that do this?. So for this set up what would you recommend?

I understand the advice on the Marantz, I was reading that they'd spent a fair bit of time on the power supply and power amp sections versus the Denon (other than that they are almost the same). Do you think this is a much better as a pre?

I have a JVC dla-x5500 projector btw and would like to feed it a 4k signal.

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,335
    Personally I wouldn't put any two channel music through an AVR to an integrated stereo amp for serious llistening. I'm not into streaming so just have an SACD player running directly to my Rega stereo amp. For streaming there are now plenty of quality units with goods DACs that can run analogue to the stereo amp. More boxes but that's the cost of quality. If SACD isn't wanted then the new Marantz ND8006 is worth a look.
    Marantz UK | ND8006

8. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    Seems almost a shame to use a common AVR with those speakers.

If it were me, I would think about a relatively cheap AVR with front pre-outs and maybe save some money for a good integrated hifi amp if music playback matters.

If after the best AV sound, then save money for an AVR that can make good use of the speakers which I would expect to be 2K+ even for a current tech older model.

9. Tim_Field

Tim_Field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah it's not ideal, I have a vinyl only Focal Utopia / ARC based system, so I plan to use the AV system to do the digital stuff like music streaming and movies. However the main reason is to run AV is for films / TV with my projector. So to be clear I'm looking for good 2 channel digital music as a bonus. I was therefore hoping to get an OK sound out of it, but I know it won't approach dedicated two channel.

10. Tim_Field

Tim_Field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Picked up the 8802a in the classifieds. Seems sensible as one of the only pre-s that sounds ok in 2 channel and also has decent pass through. :clap: