AV receiver, 4K output to two TVs

Nemysys

Novice Member
Hi All

currently have a setup of

SkyQ -> AV receiver -> 2 TVs (2xHDMI outputs) currently outputs at 1080p both TV show the same picture In sync.
There are other inputs but the SkyQ is most used.

The AV receiver is a Sony STR-DN1040, a few years old but does the job. It has 4K pass through.

Looking to buy a 4K TV (1), hopefully run the SkyQ in 4K, however the second TV would still be running in 1080P (not a 4K TV)

is this possible? i.e. 4K input, 1 HDMI outputs 4K, the other downscales to 1080P?
or would I have to reduce SkyQ to 1080P, and not get the benefit of the 4K TV?

any other options?

thanks

Dolus

With two TV's connected and switched on the the output resolution for both TV's will always gravitate to the TV with the lowest resolution. (This is so both TV's will be able to show a picture.)

You will still be able to get the higher resolutions on the 4K TV if that is the only one switched on.

See post 2 in this thread where @Joe Fernand gives a more in depth explanation and a link to HDFury that will allow you to display 4K & 1080p simultaneously.
4k and 1080p sources HDMI splitter

dante01

Distinguished Member
Note that you will in fact still get the lower resolution on the 4K TV even if the lower resolution TV is in standby and not in use. You'd need to turn the output going to the lower resolution TV off or disconnect the lowr resolution TV from the mains electricity supply in order to prevent it sending its EDID to the source.

Nemysys

Novice Member
Thank you for your replies. I had feared that would be the case. Hard to justify a new 4k tv and watch it at 1080p

Need to try and convince buying t2 new tvs. ;-)

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your replies. I had feared that would be the case. Hard to justify a new 4k tv and watch it at 1080p

Need to try and convince buying t2 new tvs. ;-)

You'd only be forced to watch it an 1080p if you neglected to turn the second HDMI output going to your 1080p TV off or if not turning that TV off at the mains while not in use.

If wanting to use both TVs at the same time then yes, you'd have to settle for the resolution associated with the lower spec'd TV on both sets.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom