Question AV Rec. requires long (and lengthening) "warm-up" when connected to TV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by JimiJames, Jun 23, 2015.

1. JimiJames

JimiJames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have a Marantz SR6003, and for the last few months it's had weird behaviour that's getting worse...

If I switch on the receiver without the TV, I can hear sound through the speakers (that are connected via the AV rec.). If I turn the TV on, the sound disappears and the TV says it's receiving no signal. Turn the TV off again and the sound comes back.

What's even more puzzling is that if the receiver and TV are both left on for a while (10-15 minutes, and getting longer) then the TV suddenly gets signal and all is well. It's like the video processing part of the receiver needs to warm up or something?

I've tried Source Direct and Pure Direct modes, and those don't fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    James

P.S. The TV is a Samsung P60F5500, and the sources to the rec. are a HP Microserver and a DSTV HD PVR decoder (a South African settop box product).

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    HDMI requires an authentication handshake between connected devices as part of the HDCP content protection process - that process can be easily disrupted.

Ensure the TV, AVR and Sources are all running the latest Firmware updates available.

Ensure HDMI CEC Control is disabled on all devices - Samsung call it Anynet.

It is not unusual to find that one power on sequence works without a hitch whilst another causes odd problems.

It is also worth trying a different HDMI Input on the TV - they can have different feature sets so react differently to connected devices.

If all of the above fails to resolve your problems it may be worth trying out a new set of HDMI Cables - nothing expensive, any High Speed cable will do.

Always power all devices Off at the wall when connecting or disconnecting HDMI Cables.

Joe

3. JimiJames

JimiJames
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe. I have tried most of that, but I'll run through the process again, just in case.

I'll hold thumbs while doing it this time, though! ;)

Thanks again,
    James