Av rack in a garage?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by dave uk, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dave uk

dave uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi guys.

Looking to finally make the move to a component free home, with just Tvs having on the wall with all other equipment housed in a pair of 12U racks.

Now this is the source of the question.

I want to mount a pair of 12U racks around 2M off the floor mounted to the wall at the far end of the garage.

Now my garage is currently bare brick with a new insulated and sealed Nova roll door and last winter dropped to around 13 Degrees in the winter, The ceiling is plastered and insulated due to the bedroom above it. Im planing to plasterboard the walls and lay a covering for the floor anyway.

Do you guys think the equipment will be ok? I plan to fit one of these http://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725721-P-GoldenRod-Original-Dehumidifier/dp/B00DBTCFGY inside the rack, have used them in my gun safe for years and they do the job pretty well.

The equipment in question

denon x2200
    Sky Q silver
    Sky Q mini
    Sky Q Mini
    Hdmi Matrix switch
    Sonos Connect
    Xbox One
    Qnap TVS-871
    control4 HC800 controller
    24 port POE switch

Do you think it will be ok in the garage

any tips would be great

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. wl1

wl1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +876
    Some of that kit will be on all the time - probably enough for damp not to be a problem. The unit you linked to is only for very small enclosed spaces, probably not going to do much (depending on where you put it).

Have you considered a USB Humidity/Temperature logger? Then you can look to solve a problem with known info - otherwise it will be a guess.

3. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    I have all my kit in my garage in a similar setup though run a server as well which kicks a bit of heat out.

Haven't had any problems yet and makes for a very neat solution in the rest of the house.

I got a 42U Compaq rack off eBay for £50 including sides and doors so put everything in that.

4. dave uk

dave uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Im sure control4 do a Humidity sensor that can trigger a rely and send you a email if things go south. good thinking

5. dave uk

dave uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Im thinking of going for a pair of smaller racks that I can mount of the wall. Gives me a bit of piece of mind incase of floods and in theory should be a little warmer higher up.

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    Yep that's a fair point, though I didn't fancy my walls taking the load of my rack. I probably have north of 100 kg or so not including the rack weight. The rack itself is good for 800kg but not sure my floor would be.

My server is 2/3 of the way and we are fairly safe from flooding unless it is of biblical proportions in which case my offsite backup better be ok :)

7. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Rust is your only concern. Have you considered the attic? And say mounting it on a gable or party wall?