Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AV Processor under £1500?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by nathan_silly, Dec 29, 2002.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm looking for a AV processor that has..

Dolby Pro-Logic I & II (selectable)
    Dolby Digital
    DTS
    5.1 input (volume controlled)
    Simple remote

It will be only be used for DVD-Videos and possibly later on DVD-Audio discs. It won't be a as stereo pre-amp for music (I have a seperate transport, dac, pre amp and power/ speakers for 2 channel stereo)

My AV poweramps are Audiolab 8000PX's. Some comments about the Tag AV32 is it could be too clinical- matching with the PX's could be a bad move (way too bright?)

I do like the Tag upgrade options- a bit expensive but at least they're available.

What do you guys also think of the Lexicon DC-2 V4? I can just get this for £1800, a bit over my budget.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    You might find a second hand Lexicon MC-1 for that price.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you do it would be a stunning bargain. The MC-1 doesn't have PL-II, not that it matters at all as Logic 7 mode does an incredible job with ProLogic material.

The DC-2's with v4 do turn up at around £1400-£1500 from time to time though and are great processors but £1800 is a little steep for a DC-1 these days.

Be aware that neither the MC-1 or the DC-2 have the analogue inputs necessary for DVD-A should you decide to follow that route later.

Mark.

4. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Try the Rotel 1066.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No thanx, had the Rotel 966 before. Rubbish. Lots of noise. Replaced with Denon AVD-2000, dead silent.

Lilke the Lexicon/Tag settings (sub protect, individual input settings etc)

6. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would strongly suggest you audition a Cyrus AV8 - I've just shelled out a grand on this processor after an audition - it's very easy to listen to, and totally outclasses the Rotel 1066 sonically, although it has a very basic feature count (5-channel processing, no video switching).

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always disliked Cyrus build quality, a bit too flimsy. Probably just me being picky!

Dunno what to get- one does this, other does that....

8. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    There is a silver Tag AV32R engineering sample available from Tag UK. Its had very little use and has the 24bit 192Khz dacs but not the 5.1 bypass. £1690 with 18 Months warranty.

5.1 Bypass would cost 415 more.

I almost bought it and spoke to Barry at Tag and decided to spend the extra and get a new AV32R BP192 EX7.1

Bry

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi....I've seen and tried the Cyrus prior to buying a Tag AV32R and have to say for the price,the Cyrus is nice,and quite well made,depsite your comments re:build quality,but in no way in the Tag's league.
    There is also the Tag AV30R which is worth looking at,although a bit over your budget,and not as flexible as the AV32R.
    As for the Lexicons,again I looked at,but decided against any of the outdated secondhand models,as being just that...outdated.

As JSW suggests,a good option is to scan the used section of the Tag website.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just still wondering about matching Tag/Audiolabs amps- look nice together but AV sound might be too bright?

I don't need the HDCD option
    7.1 input will be done later
    192khz dac not needed yet.

Think a bog-standard 5.1 version would do.

Is there any place that can loan a Tag for a week?

thanks
    nathan

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Ok...the current spec AV32R's come with 192khZ DAC's and bypass for the analogue inputs,but used models are becoming available for around £1700-1800(see the Tag website etc).....and don't forget the AV30.

Together you should get a reasonably smooth sound from your amps with the Tag,as the Tag has a fairly "laid-back" sound....not soft,but certainly not overbright.

Audio T will lend you most equipment for at least 3 days,if in stock,as should most good dealers.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a Tag 5.1 96khz DAC version for £1250, sec/hand. I might get this (although might get that Toshiba 42" Widescreen RPTV first)

thanks for your help guys.

13. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Well just because they dont have all the latest sound modes that no one ever uses does not mean they should be discounted.
    Lexicons do have the one thing I would thought that was the most important and that is excellent sound quality. They also have LOGIC 7 which IMO negates the need for any other sound mode out there.
    An MC1 secondhand went for £1571 recently on Ebay in superb condition.
    The MC1 sounds better than the AV32 but then again it used to retail at £5600 so it should sound better.

Darren

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the end of the day, I just want the best sounding Dolby Digital processor I can afford.

That's why I'm more inclined to go down the Lexicon DC-2/MC-1 route on sound performance in AV. They have a longer history in AV?

15. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Lexicon MC1 and think that for AV it is hard to be beaten. Infact the only thing that I would change it for is the Theta processor, or maybe the Krell Showcase. However, the point being is that it is an excellent processor.

A by the way though, I was not very pleased with cd replay. The analgue processors in the MC1 are quite poor considering the cost of the unit. I recently bought a Theta transport and now only use the digital DAC's. This has now solved the problem and for cd replay, the Lexicon is performing as it should do for a unit that retails for £5600 - superbly.

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I absolutely agree with rigman and marck that the Lexicons are excellent processors,and certainly wasn't swayed by the latest sound processing modes when making the decision to buy....my Tag spends most of it's time either in DTS/DD mode or processing upsampled CD input.....I rarely use the others except with Sky,and we all know what bandwidth limited digital audio is like!

As I said,I wanted a relatively future proof processor,with an upgrade path as well(in this case the AV192),and after some discussion with the UK importers for Lexicon,decided against their older processors(and no,I don't have the cash for an MC-12 right now!).

As for whether an MC-1/DC-2 sounds better than a Tag being fed 24/96 inputs....I think a lot depends on your system...some like the Lexicon sound,some like Tag....having heard both,and with my system,the balance was better with the Tag.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i agree that the Lexicon MC-1 was pretty damn good in multichannel duties, & i agree that it was less impressive in 2 channel mode.

Haven't really listened enough of the MC-12 to make an opinion yet.

I've still.. (and it may change one day) yet to hear a processor that can perform so consistently across the board (2 channel, multichannel, Hi-Rez <DVD-A>) like my Meridian 568.2

I suppose that's why i got it.

Have a good celebration tonight chaps.

Adzman.

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I am not sure I buy into this at all, many of us bought another processor after demo against the MC1 and prefered the competition, in particular the Tag and Meridian with their dedicated DVD players. Having said that the MC1 is a pretty decent processor at if you can get one for £1500 it is decent money. For £1500 would look to Cyrus (new) or Tag 32 secondhand (or what about a 561 Meridian, typically £1100 secondhand).

19. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Well one mans meat etc etc.

All I can say is the MC1 sounded better than the Tag. I have nothing against Tag as I have the DVD32R and would love to have had a matching system but my main priority was sound quality and I preferred the Lexicon MC1. I only use this for movies though and not music as I have a separate system for that.
    The Meridian I have never heard so cannot comment but again they are very well regarded in the industry.

Nathan

please go and audition these processors if you can and let us know what you prefer.

Darren

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started another thread about the Onkyo RDC-7 Integra Processor (new £3500) I know this is out of my price range- but I've never seen it in shops.

What do you guys think of this unit?

I think I'll demo the Lexicon MC-1.

This is a bit OT- but getting a Tosh RPTV. Now my DVD has component output (but it's not Progressive Scan) Now if I put something like the Iscan between the two, will the picture be better- line doubling and progressive scan?

Just one problem- will I need to delay the processor sound?- my current one doesn't have this feature..

thanks guys
    nathan

21. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd drop in that if you're considering the Cyrus, Sevenoaks were doing the AV8 for about £1200 in their sale. May have been a one off (Southampton) or it may be nationwide. Have to admit I was seriously tempted...
    Unfortunately there are several other things I'd like and need the money for.

22. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Just a couple of points re:the TV,nathan.....if the Tosh is an LCD rear projection type,take a really close look first...I've been down that road myself,and decided to look around for a decent DLP projector soon....all the LCD RPTV's I've seen have a serious lack of contrast problem.
    The worst I've seen was a Thomson,then the Samsung,and best was the Sony...but at a price.

Also,if you subject the image to a lot of extra processing,you may require some time delay to re-synch the image and sound....but if you're seriously considering just about any of the processors you've been talking about...you should have no problem.

23. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's a CRT Projection- I've never liked LCD projection.. I'll be getting the 42PW23.

For now I'll just use component- later on I'll get the off-board doubler/progressive unit and a new AV processor at the same time. I was going to get the 100hz model, but been reading about 100hz nasties no will get the 50hz instead.

What do you think will be best- replacing the DVD with one with NTSC Progressing Scanning, or just buying a external unit? I like my player, no problems with any discs.

Is the Tosh 9 point convergence "good enough" - I mean if the initial conergence is a bit out- will it sort it?- but if it's really bad then I'll probably need to do the full convergence?

I have set up a front projector (R/G/B lens focus, R/G/B pincushion, geometry) so I have experience..

cheers
    nathan

24. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Evil Mudge - do yourself a favour and buy an AV8 from Sevenoaks when their sale has ended - you'll save yourself £100 as it normally retails for £1100. Maybe you saw it going for £1000....?

25. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm just checking on 42PW23- can't find whether it is CRT. I thought it would be.. anyone know the type of this RPTV?

thanks