AV processor £4K or less

mouldy15

Well for me..... The biggest change wasn't for movies but for music no matter what o did, i just didn't take to it for music which is as important to me as movies, overall with Dirac just more detail and clarity...... Don't get me wrong the marantz is rock solid but since having arcam for me I'm afraid i won't be going back unless they add Dirac to marantz then i could be tempted..... Everyone has got different opinions but I'm not a fan of audyssey at all and much prefer the clarity and detail what the arcam gives me.... Hope this helps! Just to add I've also had a av860 before and that was great too!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Well for me..... The biggest change wasn't for movies but for music no matter what o did, i just didn't take to it for music which is as important to me as movies, overall with Dirac just more detail and clarity...... Don't get me wrong the marantz is rock solid but since having arcam for me I'm afraid i won't be going back unless they add Dirac to marantz then i could be tempted..... Everyone has got different opinions but I'm not a fan of audyssey at all and much prefer the clarity and detail what the arcam gives me.... Hope this helps! Just to add I've also had a av860 before and that was great too!

thanks.

I am planning to do an anthem vs marrantz shootout in my room myself as I am undecided.

I value owners opinions who have MOVED brands as normally they've experinced the best and worse of both brands and normally have made their decision with their own cash !

rccarguy2

thanks.

I am planning to do an anthem vs marrantz shootout in my room myself as I am undecided.

I value owners opinions who have MOVED brands as normally they've experinced the best and worse of both brands and normally have made their decision with their own cash !

Since tri-amping all of my 32 speakers with boulder 3050 monoblocs the system is incredible, much better than the system you're planning.

So get the same system as me.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Since tri-amping all of my 32 speakers with boulder 3050 monoblocs the system is incredible, much better than the system you're planning.

So get the same system as me.

dude come on, you don't have boulders. you just google ASR science reviews and regurgitate whatever Amir posts. we all know this now :) no shame in it tho!

whilst arguing and trolling users who actually do own the gear.

you've helped and raised some good points but ultimately i think talking to people who own the gear is also very useful and actually using it s far more valuable than someone who is googling for their info!

inb4 amir posts the trinnov measures worse than denon in the next few months lol.

but thanks for ur help and assistance. its been helpful. dont mean any offense.. all good vibes but when u start posting sarcastic comments like that, hard to take you too seriously and much easier for ppl to just add u to their blocklist.

Last edited:
Definitely try the anthem it is quite amazing. Infact I am changing my rack because of it, not enough space in my other one.

rccarguy2

There's this

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
There's this

I was looking at their amps!

rccarguy2

Seems they're good, budget dedicated Poweramps. Upgrade over any flagship avr, but leading behind better (more expensive) ones

Probably need to spend 2x as much to get better.

alebonau

I’ve had my 8805 since July and not thing has gone wrong with it. Love it!

Been very happy with my Marantz ac8805 too since early this year. Few things I love with it, which seems few contenders will struggle to replace.

That I can use auro3D for my music discs abs concerts, this in itself eliminates so many units that can’t do auro3D. I like the Marantz has music and movie buttons and can setup auro3D through the music default

Dts-x pro and 7.1,6 loving the ability to utilise ch(centre height) and Ts(top centre - vog) this I have found works incredibly well to fill gaps in Soundstage directly above and inbetween the 4 front and rear heights. The ch centre height fills a huge gap for height of front stage vs no heights there before :) all up this creates a sound field I’ve never experienced before. And very few units actually support dts-x pro properly way Marantz does with ch and ts support am finding. Dts-x am finding a very useful for post processing a ton of stuff on streaming - Netflix etc that’s natively often 2.0 pcm...

Atmos I have experienced some mind blowing tracks like doctor sleep. Love the Marantz even allows post processing via neural - x for ch and ts support here too for 7.1.6

As a long time audyssey pro user, was very hesitant on how the move to the audyssey app would be ... super pleased with that. Can’t believe how simple, easy and fast ! It has made the process ! And with all flexibility of pro. It does lack a large screen pc to use but will use my larger screen iPad next time and it uses the plastic mic vs the calibrated pro audyssey mic. But I am happy with the results. Really like can select curves ... flat top end or default audyssey roll off. Mid range compensation for bbc dip on or off ... custom curve leaving X freq alone only eq bass if you want .. no problem. All with a few clicks ! These are all things could do with pro, but to make accessible to folk so simply easily and quickly via the app is wonderfull I think. I hope folk download the app. So no excuses to say oh missing top end detail ... sounds dull... or midrange vocals feel recessed ... or wish it only eq’d bass or something !

Some more things to explore ... dts-x support, actually have a few dts- x discs need to explore more abs have a few on order. Have some discs that are imax enhanced ... given Marantz supports those keen to also explore this :)

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Seems they're good, budget dedicated Poweramps. Upgrade over any flagship avr, but leading behind better (more expensive) ones

Probably need to spend 2x as much to get better.
I had the 7 channel iota PA for a while and apart from being very large with an obvious hum it was ok. Took time and effort to get my money back from the dealer. Replaced it with a JBL Synthesis 7200 for a few hundred more and couldn’t be more delighted with its class D amps.

rccarguy2

I had the 7 channel iota PA for a while and apart from being very large with an obvious hum it was ok. Took time and effort to get my money back from the dealer. Replaced it with a JBL Synthesis 7200 for a few hundred more and couldn’t be more delighted with its class D amps.

Big toroidal typically do have him, unless they're potted. My audiolab have no him but ATI does audible from about 1' away

alebonau

I had the 7 channel iota PA for a while and apart from being very large with an obvious hum it was ok.
BIG Large toroidal are definitely hard to wind so you dont have some level of hum... that said even potted i remember my first large toroid multichannel amp which has a 14kg torroid ! was potted and still when i got it had some hum I noticed down the track in use... it wasnt much ..tiny but noticeable from about a foot away . took back to the maker ... he is a local guy as turns out... and this is a laugh... all it was was the nut had slightly loosed underneath holding the torroid to the case...just a touch of tighten up with a big spanner and the hum was gone :D I run two of these amps these days ... no hum

and talking about IOTA ... seem quite popular out your way... for us here it is the Elektra multichannel power amps... locally made, just choice components with good engineering and compare well with imported amps twice the price ! below is my 'old' one at this stage 5 years old and that was 5 years ago :D

1617418015249.png

1617418101534.png

being swapped by a mk2 of it 5 years back

1617418164032.png

the older one wasnt got rid of ... it was just relegated to drive my 6 heights speakers and both are still doing an amazing job ! :)

reason i post this is ... while we talk of processors here... part of reason they do a great job and a step from AVRS is the good amps can use them with. and it is well worth investing in good amps ... they last the years ....and good quality amps will easily take you through decades without an issue ! that will see through many a processor :D one of my amps has seen 3 :D in 13 years !

tig

After much deliberation and almost buying the Marantz AV8805, I’ve decided to go with the Anthem AVM70. I’ve paid my deposit and now the waiting begins!

Mr. Mer

After much deliberation and almost buying the Marantz AV8805, I’ve decided to go with the Anthem AVM70. I’ve paid my deposit and now the waiting begins!
Congrats @tig on pulling the trigger. If you don't mind me asking. DM by all means.

Who did you place your order with and how long do you think you'll have to wait?

What swung it in the Anthem's favour?

I'm swaying towards AVM70. The RCA outputs and UK support are pushing me that way but the Monoprice HTP-1 is still making a case for itself.

I can't quite work out the whole AUDESSY vs DIRAC vs ARC arguments as I have no current experience of room correction.

Any input gratefully received...

tig

In the end I went with the Anthem AVM70 because I think it’ll give the best sound quality, especially with music. This is based on my past experience with an Anthem 510 receiver. Which I only got rid of because the HDMI wasn’t 4K.

I ordered it from Tom at www.cinehome.co.uk. who was very helpful and is highly recommended. I’m expecting it at the end of May/June.

I have previous experience with ARC and Audyssey but not Dirac. ARC and Audyssey are very easy to use with not much effort. However in my experience ARC produces better results. I was concerned about bugs and stability with the AVM70, that’s why I was initially leaning towards the Marantz AV8805, but they seem to be less now and should be ironed out quite quickly. My room layout is way less than optimal so room correction makes a big difference.Hope that helps!

In the end I went with the Anthem AVM70 because I think it’ll give the best sound quality, especially with music. This is based on my past experience with an Anthem 510 receiver. Which I only got rid of because the HDMI wasn’t 4K.

I ordered it from Tom at www.cinehome.co.uk. who was very helpful and is highly recommended. I’m expecting it at the end of May/June.

I have previous experience with ARC and Audyssey but not Dirac. ARC and Audyssey are very easy to use with not much effort. However in my experience ARC produces better results. I was concerned about bugs and stability with the AVM70, that’s why I was initially leaning towards the Marantz AV8805, but they seem to be less now and should be ironed out quite quickly. My room layout is way less than optimal so room correction makes a big difference.Hope that helps!
I think you have done the right thing. I've used all the different EQ'S and ARC is the easiest to use. I am really liking the anthem and what it is doing to my room for films. And the music is awesome 👌.

alebonau

Congrats @tig on pulling the trigger. If you don't mind me asking. DM by all means.

Who did you place your order with and how long do you think you'll have to wait?

What swung it in the Anthem's favour?

I'm swaying towards AVM70. The RCA outputs and UK support are pushing me that way but the Monoprice HTP-1 is still making a case for itself.

~
id genuinely suggest if it is possible where you are ... to seek out retailers who sell what considering and get an appreciation yourself of available options ... things like support and after sales is crucial in things electronic i believe and especially where spending 1000s and its something likely want good use for some years.... resale is also better for local bought stuff and for good reason... this is not to suggest some overseas import isnt any good or anything like that...just making the case for local bought... I say this not even being in UK but would say same to anyone being where i am :)

a good reason for the local bought is you can head out check out the options... demo for self. any decent retailer will give you a genuine comparison between and lead you through each pros cons etc... and especially if sell both are usually quite happy with a sale either way... be wary of any retailer rubbishing anything (it could be they cant move something or want to clear something or has a higher margin to push or own biases at play) ... at pice point looking at there are all good options.. each with pros and cost that are worth getting a handle on.

this is something i myself did marantz av8805 vs anthem avm60... with local retailer who has and sells both.. and both are pretty decent... some will be swayed one way or other... though thats irrelevant as only thing is important is what it is for you.

can't quite work out the whole AUDESSY vs DIRAC vs ARC arguments as I have no current experience of room correction.

Any input gratefully received...
this is particularly well worth asking retailer to take you through with... and any decent one will. audyssey has come a long ways ... no longer needs the PC/laptop to do what audyssey pro used to do...and now with the phone or iPad app will see how easy it and how powerfull

same with dirac get them to take you through how to set up and eq ... just even basics to get a feel... or anthem arc ...demo hooking upto laptop/computer and how to setup and eq etc...

when unsure what helps a lot i think is awareness and understanding and this really only comes best first hand and most retailers i have found only too helpful to show you :)

im quite confident with the sophistication of any of the EQ and setup of systems today you would be quite pleased with the end result they can achieve and to your taste...though no doubt be still your own preferences that might sway you one ways or other with something you like with one vs other or something :)

happy hunting :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom