AV pre-out through stereo AP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PoisonJam, Sep 1, 2007.

1. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I recently blew my front surround speakers and have been using my stereo speakers to do a dual-job instead. I currently run the front L/R pre-outs of my Pioneer AV amp to my NAD stereo amp's AUX in.

I went this way because CD playback is most important to me with AV secondary. However, to get even a decent volume from my NAD while I'm, watching DVDs I have to turn it up to full volume. Well, I just tried listening to a CD there and forgot the amp was turned up to max :( Ouch. Deafness by Idlewild.

I noticed my NAD and has a "main in" and I have fed the front pre-outs through this and use my AV amp to control the volume. However, I can't use any of my other inputs when I do this so no direct CD playback :( Does this mean my stereo amp is effectively be sitting passive while the AV amp did the work (not desired)? If I plug my CD player into my AV amp will the AV amp being doing the work instead of my stereo amp?

2. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Anyone?

3. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Halloooo:hiya:
    try using "TAPE IN" or "AUX IN" if you have it I do this with my rotel and get the result you require.. have you read the manual for the nad to confirm what "main in" is for??? which model nad amp is it??

4. musicman1999

musicman1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your set up is correct.Cd player plugged into NAD,for HT run l/r pre outs to open input and when you set your levels for HT the NAD should be set at a specific volumn level and then do your calibration.Every time use HT set NAD to same volumn,works well.

bill

5. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    PoisonJam,

The main thing to do is set the volume levels when you've connected everything up. Did you do this the first time you connected your Nad? Set the volume to say 12 o'clock - this makes it easy to put back to the same position each time. But you must then set your av amp levels, to avoid the problem you described....

Regards,
    MarkP

6. cn9601

cn9601

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5