AV Player HD what iPad video should have been!

Unfortunately you can selectively back up certain elements, it's all or nothing.

In my opinion, this app will be absolutely brilliant when it can stream 720p MKV, rather than just play on-board the ipad. But the wifi transfer (ftp,http) does sound very appealing for it's convenience factor.

There is a lot of praise about this app playing 720p MKV. I have a couple of questions:

1) Does it support MKVs which have 5.1 channel sound?

And another:

2) XVID-HD / DIVX-HD files (taken from bluray discs) come out smaller in filesize than MKV h/x264 files. (making them more portable), let's face it, storage can be an issue.

So, can this app play XVID/DIVX HD video files?

thanks.

Just connected the hdmi adapter, booted up a film and there it was - sound but no video. App doesn't support mirroring.

And another:

2) XVID-HD / DIVX-HD files (taken from bluray discs) come out smaller in filesize than MKV h/x264 files. (making them more portable), let's face it, storage can be an issue.

So, can this app play XVID/DIVX HD video files?

thanks.

anyone?

TrampleDown said:

If you mean does it play these on the iPad then the answer is yes. Obviously doesn't output through the speaker in 5.1 though!

Perhaps they meant, does it output 5.1 via the HDMI adapter out to their AV Receiver?

bpsmith said:
Perhaps they meant, does it output 5.1 via the HDMI adapter out to their AV Receiver?

If they do then they are likely to be disappointed if they are using for movies - they might get 5.1 sound but they'll get zero picture. I discovered this myself last night.

branny said:
If they do then they are likely to be disappointed if they are using for movies - they might get 5.1 sound but they'll get zero picture. I discovered this myself last night.

That's odd, I tried this a month or so ago and both picture and sound were output.

sneeks said:
That's odd, I tried this a month or so ago and both picture and sound were output.

With the apple HDMI adapter thing? I searched on web last night and advice was that doesn't support mirroring.

branny said:
With the apple HDMI adapter thing? I searched on web last night and advice was that doesn't support mirroring.

Yes using the Apple HDMI adapter. I'll try it again tonight, maybe they disabled it in a more recent update.

Did you press the TV Out icon on the player?

You will hear sound but not see picture until you press the TV Out button. It's on the right hand side of the screen and only appears when you plug in the HDMI adaptor.

I use AV Player HD to view Cinavia DRM protected MP4 files via my AV amp.

**Edit** App doesn't supporting iPad 2 mirroring as it has it's own TV Out function.

Last edited:
That's correct, it's not mirrored output as it's only displayed on one display at a time. Definitely works.

So it looks like tv output is possible - great news! Will test when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks all.

So Video AND 5.1 is a no go then?
:confused:
Obviously it depends upon the source file, I'm getting 720p/5.1 no problem via my amp.

I have been waiting for a price drop on this but I might as well get it. Ill need this for my holiday to put all the little ones films on it as well as some stuff for me.

So If I wanted to rip a Blu-Ray or DVD to copy onto the pad which are the best formats for this software or does it not matter?

Got it working tonight - just had to press the tv out button (which I had no idea about prior to this thread!). Great picture and full 5.1 sound.

Thanks for your advice all.

Cheers
B

I cant get the ftp client working in the latest version, could somebody please test and see if it is working for them? I would love to be able to ftp movies from the ipad rather than ftp'ing to ipad from pc.

I used the FTP client 'FileZilla' to send video over my wireless network without a problem. It's much better than http as you can send folders containing multiple files.

Sorry, have I got the wrong end of the stick?
I FTP'd from my PC to iPad.

Gary, that bit works for me aswell, however the latest version has a built in ftp client so you can ftp from the app, so no need for going to the pc as long as you've got a ftp server running on the network.

Thanks for all the help guys regarding 5.1 sound. In my original question, no, I wasn't asking if it could reproduce the full 5.1 mix, but learning now that it DOES just gives me that much more respect for it as an app. It sounds really impressive.

When I asked in my question 2) about 'can it play divX HD files', I'm talking about AVI files that were ripped from bluray (1080p, 720p, just encoded with xvid rather than h/x264). I would assume the app CAN play these, as, in my experience, getting MKV h264 videos to work is much more the holy grail (over divx/xvid), but it would be nice to know before buying the app.

thanks to anyone who can help.

Thanks for all the help guys regarding 5.1 sound. In my original question, no, I wasn't asking if it could reproduce the full 5.1 mix, but learning now that it DOES just gives me that much more respect for it as an app. It sounds really impressive.

When I asked in my question 2) about 'can it play divX HD files', I'm talking about AVI files that were ripped from bluray (1080p, 720p, just encoded with xvid rather than h/x264). I would assume the app CAN play these, as, in my experience, getting MKV h264 videos to work is much more the holy grail (over divx/xvid), but it would be nice to know before buying the app.

thanks to anyone who can help.
The app can play any file format pretty much... BUT... it likes files it can hardware decode the best.

So for example, some SD AVI files I have lose voice sync. The 720p/5.1 MP4 files I have play perfectly.

I dunno whether iPad 2 will rectify the sync problem with non-hardware decoded films. But for less than the price of a pint - what have you got to lose?

I've been using AV Player HD for the past few months - it's terrific. Crashes on larger 720p mkvs, but never goes wrong with HD MP4s... avis are solid too.

So is the consensus that MP4 is the way to go for DVD rips rather than AVI's?
I'm about to start ripping some of my DVD collection and would rather get the best format for this software first time rather than have lip sync issues with AVI's.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom