AV or RGB or SAV

rcoundon

Established Member
Reaction score
My Hitachi television has the choice of AV, RGB and SAV for it's input (via SCART)
Could somebody tell what the differences are between these settings?

Some additional info:
My DVD player can be set to output RGB. When I do this and switch to the RGB setting on the TV the picture shifts to the right. Any ideas?

A not too technical reply!....

AV is composite video, worst pic quality after RF and shoold only be used with VHS VCRs.
Can use a normal cheap SCART

SAV is S-Video, seperates colour & b&w signal and is better than AV and can be used with SVHS VCRS, game consoles, DVDs, Digi STBs etc
Use a mini-din or fully configured 21 pin SCART

RGB is a form of component video, seperates Red, Green and Blue and is usually gives the best pic quality.
Use this on your DVD player. Can also be used with game consoles, Digi STBs etc. Whichever, it will give the best picture quality.
The RGB picture shift is a side effect with some TVs.
Use a fully configured 21 pin SCART

HTH

Thanks for the reply. The side shift bugs me so I've set my DVD player to output S-Video and the picture is better.
Time to invest in a new TV I think :)

Originally posted by rcoundon
Thanks for the reply. The side shift bugs me so I've set my DVD player to output S-Video and the picture is better.
Time to invest in a new TV I think :)
Most Sony TVs have an RGB shift adjustment. I find it a godsend :)

I've just invested in a Thor scart lead after having problems with the RGB setting in previous "cheapo" one.
Unfortunately the RGB set up still makes the picture a lot darker and has a slight "draw" along dark edges.
Tried DVD with a mates newish TV and although the "draw" had gone, the picture is still on the dark side.
TV is RGB scart but about 8 years old.
DVD Tosh 220.
Any ideas?

John

John,

Depends on the TV. Lots of TVs give an RGB picture that is way too dark and it's not even as easy as avoiding certain manufacturers - some models from a manufacturer will be ok, others will give a picture that is too dark, so you need to explore particular models. For example, Philips PW6006 has had reports of dark RGB, but Philips PW6515 is fine. Most JVC models have dark RGB feeds. I've found Sony TVs to be the most consistent with RGB feeds - haven't seen a Sony model that gives a dark RGB feed yet. That's probably because they are one of a handful of manufacturers that enable an RGB picture to be fully adjusted (contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness, etc).

If you find RGB too dark on your own TV, you should use S-Video instead.

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes, I have tried using s-video which is good, but only having a socket at the front of the TV underneath a flap which obviously had to be opened, it does look a right mess with trailing leads.

Seems I may have wasted my cash on the scart, I cant believe having read RGB is the way to go for superior pic quality, it's so hit and miss due to TV manufacturers.

You may not have wasted your money. An S-Video signal can be carried through SCART leads too. It doesn't require an S-Video socket. However, you will most probably need to enable a specific S-Video scart on your TV using the TV's menus. Find out which SCART sockets on your TV can receive S-Video and enable one of them :)

Sadly, all TV manufacturers skimp on some aspects of set design in order to save on costs. That's why when you choose a new TV you get such a headache trying to balance up the pros and cons of each set. It seems skimping on RGB is more common than other cost-saving ideas however - which is a real shame :(

Nice one Squirrel God,
Didn't realise you could enable s-video through the scart:blush:

Still unimpressed its a hit or miss with RGB though.

Looks like if I go for a new TV I'll have to drag the DVD player with me too:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom