1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV n00b help required

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SilverNinja, Dec 9, 2004.

1. SilverNinja

SilverNinja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am taking the plunge into Plasma territory soon, have read almost everything I can so far, and as you guys on here seem helpful I thought I'd ask your advice!

I've definantly decided on a Panny W7 screen, however after all this reading it has become obvious I need to invest in other kit to get the best out of the plasma!

Current kit:-

Pace NTL digi - with 2 scart outs
    Sony DVD/AV Combo jobbie - only has composite? single phono lead video out? (I guess this needs replacing or put up with crap picture?)
    Video - with 1 scart out
    Xbox - connected with lead it came with (3 phonos) I guess this can be converted to Scart?

So....I need an AV Receiver right? (or?) Whats good for circa £500

So...NTL - (watched most often) should I connect direct to plasma scart board or through the AV?
    Xbox - ditto?
    DVD player - looks like I need a new one anyway, so where does the component bit come in? Can you get DVD with comp output or is it not worth going this route if I have mostly scart connects?

Please help! Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Andy

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Alot will depend on your budget.

If you get an AV amp like the denon AVR2805 this will 'step up' your composite & s-video up to component and will act as a switch for up to 3 component inputs.

The PS2 has the option of outputing component (though you need to buy a new cable) and so I am sure the Xbox does likewise.

So x-box and DVD through puts as component, video connects as composite. The only difficult one to deal with is the NTL box - one option would be to get a RGB -> Component converter and that way everything goes through the AV amp making source switching very easy and meaning you only need 1 set of component leads going into the plasma.

3. SilverNinja

SilverNinja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for your reply Astaroth,

One set of leads to the plasma sounds simpler than many, however will I lose in quality through conversion what I gain in tidyness?

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi SilverNinja, welcome to the forums and good luck with your new purchases!

Does your £500 pound budget include speakers as well as a new amp or do you already have a set in mind? If not, what are your priorities - do you want to listen to music or do you already have stereo hifi equipment? Can your room accommodate floorstanders/bookshelf speakers or are you looking for sub/sats?

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    SilverNinja - whilst I dont have a plasma screen I have certainly not noticed any degredation in picture quality from passing the components through the AVR and if anything an improvement on passing the composites through.

As with anything like this though it somewhat depends on your own equipment as there are at least some setups out there that do look better on RGB Scart than Progressive Scan Component (though they are few and far between)

6. SilverNinja

SilverNinja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Mango Bob,

The £500 is not a limit, more a guide to start and I already have speakers etc - the system will be purely for movies/tv as we have our hi-fi system in a different room.

room is big enough to accomodate floorstanders

i have been told the Yamaha 750 (se?) would be worth a look - however as my knowledge of these matters are currently zero (learning all the time!) I bow down to superior knowledge/recommendations

Cheers

Andy

7. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in the same situation but a bit further down the line, PW7 ordered, along with E85 and Yamaha ax750.
    Originally intended to take everything through the amp (has component up conversion for sky) along with a JS rgb to comp converter.

I then emailed JS tech direct as I wanted to see if I could get a better picture through the 15 pin D-sub.
    They said that if i got a rgb to vga converter for sky and took it direct to the D-sub on the plasma the picture would be sharper, but I would lose the switching through the Amp.
    As the PQ is more important for me I am going for the D-sub connection.

8. SilverNinja

SilverNinja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah, i've heard this before, very interesting!

does this mean that only your sky system would be connected this way and other sources would be converted through the amp?

9. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    E85 will output component direct to component board on pw7, Sky and E85 connected to the amp purely for sound, no picture input to the amp.

Only switching issue is if switch Panel to DVD need to also switch the Amp input.

Unless an expensive remote is purchased. :rolleyes: