AV male to USB converter cable - possible?

S

stalwart

hi all

I have both a Sony DVD Camcorder and a Canon A640 Powershot camera - both have video AV out slots. On the Canon, the camera has a 3.5mm female jack, and the lead supplied by Canon is male 3.5mm jack to yellow & balck male AV plugs. Question is, neither my PC or laptop have "video in" slots - so can you buy a AV male to USB converter cable?

cheers
Stuart

bsuttie

Novice Member
It would need more than a cable, you can't just connect A/V signals to a USB port which is expecting serial data.

You can get video capture devices which plug into a USB port.

However what are you actually trying to achieve? If you want to get photos onto your computer you really don't want to degrade them to analogue video quality.

And for getting video footage onto a PC you really want a digital transfer.

Perhaps if you could give more details of what you're trying to achieve?

regards

Brian

S

stalwart

hi Brian

I intend to hook up the A640 to the underside of my radio-controlled helicopter and use the AV out, via a transmitter, to view the heli in flight from the ground. The A640 can therefore be a video camera, so I can see where the heli is, to compose & frame a shot, and simultaneously take a 10MP still shot remotely. I'm not bothered about the quality, just so long as I can see what the camera sees.

cheers
Stuart

bsuttie

Novice Member
Cool, I've done similar with an R/C car.

I just fed the receiver out to my camcorder A/V in for viewing on the camcorder LCD screen (and for recording).

If you want to use a laptop you would need a video capture device.

regards

Brian

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom