1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Av Layout planning, Advice??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rscott4563, Oct 10, 2003.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very much thinking about a Pioneer 504 in Nov and have been trying to decide on a way to squeeze it and my current setup in to my rented flat.

I figured on the 50" as for the extra 1000 notes it would really give that cinema feel and help fend off upgraditus a bit longer, also the improved resolution of the 50" and the fact that its closer to a true 16:9 image (1024x768=1.33:1 compared to 1280x768=1.66:1, closer to 16:9=1.77:1)

My living room is not an ideal shape or size but I think after much reading on this site that I've got it sorted, my only real questions other than if anyone has some suggested improvements, is will I have enough distance between my viewing position and the screen (will the image look ok??) and will I be able to fit the centre egg speaker on the Opli TV unit without it blocking part of the screen, I'm not wall mounting as its only a rented flat and so not worth the effort and so will be using a table top stand, what is the distance between the base of the stand and the bottom of the plasma, can the height be altered??

[​IMG]

Also the rear eggs will be firing directly across the seating position as I cant really move the sofa any further out from the wall without reducing the distance to the screen, is this the best way to have them or would it be better to put them on the ceiling and have them pointing down to the seating position??

Oh yeah and the other bits of setup I'll need to squeeze in to and on to the TV unit are:
    Denon 2800MKII (Could be getting replaced in Nov possibly for a Pio 868i)
    Denon 2802 (Dont see any point upgrading at the mo, well not till I get a new speaker setup anyway)
    XBOX
    TIVO
    NTL
    Broadband Router
    WiFi AP
    With the possibly inclusion of a HTPC

Anyway thanks in advance
    :smashin: :D :smashin:

Oh yeah and anyone recommend the best place to get the 504HDE as after my last TV purchase nightmare I definitly want to get good quality service and backup over cheapest price (and I'll be using Barclay card price promise anyway, as I've seen the 504HDE at only 4999.99) does anyone know if JohnLewis will be selling the new Pio's as even thought they wont be the most educated sellers in the world but there price match and free 5yr warranty could be too much to pass up, there are a lot of people on this forum that have used them for their Hitachi PD3000's and they seem pretty happy?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £5k plasma and Kef Eggs??? And iwould bring the rears out the corner slightly they should fire across the listening position not at the fronts I hope you arent planning to watch the screen from the 2 seater sofa.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would have said that watching DVD's from that viewing distance would be okay but for normal TV viewing I would want to be further away.

I sat about that distance from my 43" panel and found it to be too close for Sky+ - I found that all the artifacts etc too obvious and distracting.

That said it is very much a personal thing and I would suggest trying an extended viewing at roughly that distance and try not to be too blown away buy your initial thoughts of wow sooo big and think about the longer term day-to-day usage.

Cheers, Lee

4. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm i probably shouldn't mention that i'm very tempted by the 504HDE and i'd only be using it with a Sony S-880 system (at least for the time being anyway). :blush:

5. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As I said in my original post
    "the rear eggs will be firing directly across the seating position as I cant really move the sofa any further out "
    Would this not be right??

I take it your meaning I should have better speakers if I've got a 5k plasma? Not really too sure why that would be the case, just because I've got a large display doesnt really mean I should have audiophile standard speakers? :confused: And as I said in my post "My current setup: Denon 2802 (Dont see any point upgrading at the mo, well not till I get a new speaker setup anyway)"

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whys that? Surely the picture will be watchable from that angle, of about 140, dont plasmas have a viewing angle of up to around 170 degrees, I currently have a 32" panny crt tv and can watch perfectly well from both positions? Or do you mean watching movies with 5.1 in which case I see what you mean and no, I had to sacrifice the ability to use the two seater with surround sound so that I could get the better setup with my main viewing position, the speaker positioning would have been a nightmare otherwise.

Does anyone else have any feed back on viewing quality of a 43 or 50" screen from around 9ft away? If its going to be the Sky/NTL viewing which may be the problem, would a JS rgb2vga or rgb2component and possibly a iScan improve things??

Any advice about the centre speaker positioning??
    Any thanks in advance, again :smashin: :hiya:

7. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It will be fine for watching for both sofas.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I was referring to the sound (I'm not a fan of EGG's thats all) 5' is as close as you want to be to a 42" so 9' from a 50" should be fine. With the rears i wouldn't stick them against the corner but an inch or two off the back wall.

No offence meant mate

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    rscott4563

01. Viewing position - if you weren't contemplating moving at some point in the future you could easily get away with a 43" Screen in your room.

The 50" is going to dominate the room - it'll be very 'watchable' but for some it would seem too 'in your face'.

Physically the styling of the NEW Pioneer 04 HDE screens somehow doesn't have the 50" dwarfing the 42" like the old 03 HDE design did.

02. PDK-TS04 Table Top stand - the stand is supplied with two sets of uprights.

S - if your not fitting the Pioneer spks along the bottom edge

and

L- if you are.

Using the L legs with a PDP-504HDE will give you about 175mm between your table top and the bottom edge of the plasma screen (though keep in mind the foot sticks out a bit from the front edge of the screen in plan view).

So you can either have your screen set to the rear of your table and your centre Egg at the front edge; or sit your Egg on top of the plasma foot (means you cant then spin the screen using the swivel mechanism in the PDK-TS04 which may be useful in your set-up).

03. Surround Sound set up - cant work out if you have a 5:1 set up or not - there seems to be six Eggs in your drawing! (and do you have two subs?).

Have a look at Dolby's set-up guide - you'll see that in fact you want the main 'effect' speakers in line with your seating position and firing 'across' your room, not down its length. See http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html#s3.4

If you do have an additional Rear effect Channel I'd maybe try it on a stand set to one side of your three seater sofa (and I'd even fire it at the rear wall - tilt it up as far as the Egg foot will allow and allow it to 'radiate off the rear wall).

04. External Processor - Id wait and see how your Digibox looks with the Pioneer screen before you contemplate a processor; the R04 Media Box digitises your RGB inputs and then allows you to play with MPEG noise reduction so hopefully it'll do what you want without reverting to a processor; though certainly an iScan or Lumagen Vision are a 'must have' for some who hate the 'look' of MPEG broadcasts.

Arsenal - unlike the many who visit AV Forums you'll find that the 'majority' of PlasmaTV owners will be using an 'all-in-one' approach. Your Sony will work fine with the system - though given a new budget you can obviously do much better.

Best regards

Joe

10. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the diagram makes sense (the extra egg and subwoofer are just the key surely, otherwise they seem to be in a completely different room ;).

That setup looks excellent to me, although i'm not really an audiophile.. just want something that feels more like i'm watching a movie than my Toshiba 32ZP18 CRT does. Only issue being i don't think i'd want to be sat on the right hand side of that sofa on the right ;).

Interesting point about the 04 HDE series Joe, though i can see what you mean about the styling not making the 50" not look that much bigger, i'm not sure i understand how it could also be that much more dominating than the 43"?
    I was originally just looking at the 434, but as i've seen a 504 listed at £4999 inc. vat it would seem to make more sense, as rscott4563 points out, spending the extra (especially as the higher the resolution the better when its hooked up to the computer).

I won't be sorting myself out till December though as i'm going to Aus for most of November (come on you wallabies!), so i'll be interested to see how yours turns out rscott4563.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Arsenal

Ah yes the 'Key' - me looking to hard for potential problems and not spotting the obvious I believe!

43" vs. 50" - It really depends how much of a 'Cinema' room your wanting to create in your living room; not everyone wants to dominate the room with a TV.

PDP-504HDE - listing them at one price and actually supplying them are two different issues; demand is high and availability is going to be tight for the first few months; why give them away?

Enjoy the trip.

Joe

12. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can see where my diagram might be misleading a bit, but Arsenal seems to have worked it out spot on :smashin: the extra egg and sub with the description next to them were just to show what was in the room.

I'll put a modded pic below, which will hopefully clear things up
    [​IMG]
    All dimensions are stated

Not too sure what you meant, but does it look alright now that I've made the picture clearer? :)

The red X on the small sofa is just to make it clear that it will never be used for watching tv from and only the large sofa will be used when it comes to watching movies (or anything important or with 5.1 sound)

Thanks for the suggestion hornydragon, I'm also not a big fan of the "eggs" especially the centre (seems very weak and lacking presence and will probably have to be replaced, along with the front r+l, maybe for a second hand set of KEF Q7's and a Q9c :devil:) so would you say to have the rears in line with the seating position or just a couple of inches off the wall as you said?

Anyway loadsa thanks for the help and advice so far :smashin:

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    rscott4563

Revised diagram looks spot on - especially for tech drawing challenged souls like me!

Centre channel's can be a problem when you get a set of five 'matched' speakers I find - I've stuck a Gallo A-Diva in place of a Micro for centre duties and it does make dialogue so much better.

Best regards

Joe

PS Are England winning yet?

14. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Strangely in my DAV-S880 setup i think the centre speaker probably does best out of them all.

Looks good though rscott4563, keep us informed when you buy it!

Joe, I know of several people in my family who wouldn't want the tv domination the room.. silly people ;). Still in my current flat the 32" crt already dominates the room (damn london), so i don't think there would be much difference between the 43 and 50 in those terms.

Hmm i know what you're saying about the pricing of it, though i'm still not sure the 7 inches is worth the extra £1000 let alone £1500 to me.. guess i'll just have to find somewhere in London to demo them when i get back from the trip.

PS Still 0-0 but England are under a lot more pressure than in the 1st half.. only 15 minutes to go though.

15. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know what your saying, but consider the pounds per inch for the upgrade from your 32" television to just a 43" plasma, say on average around 2500 pounds for an extra 11"?! :eek: Those sorts of thoughts would stop any sensible person ever getting a plasma, just a good job we're not sensible people! :D :smashin: :D

Arsenal, I take you off to watch the ashes, I know we havent got a cat in hells chance, but really thats no reason to defect
    :nono:
    :laugh:

16. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    heheh point taken rscott4563, i think i probably will end up getting the 504.. and probably get it from Joe, even if it does cost a bit extra. He seems top class and always willing to help so i'm willing to believe its worth it!

Not actually going to the cricket (not sure when and where the next ashes is actually), going over there to watch the Rugby World Cup semi's and final.. a competition England do actually have a good chance of winning! However i'm a born Aussie (sorry!) so i'll be backing them.

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Arsenal

And of course if you do go for a 504HDE its got split picture mode so you can watch Australia and England at the same time - or will they end up playing each other!

Joe

18. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well now I really am envious, I would give anything to see England go the distance against Aus, NZ, SA etc (except maybe giving up on my home cinema plans :devil: , and as you say we may well actually have a chance ( a very good one :smashin: )
    Ok fair enough ;)

I have another question regarding my setup, I've got a lamenate floor and have neighbours below in an old church/apartments conversion, so sound travels very easily :thumbsdow and I would like to make the most of my system without out pissing off my neighbours too much, I'll be having a large rectangular deep pile rug in the middle of the room which will hopefully tame the sound a bit but with regards to the sub, its a downfiring type on rubber feet not spikes, and I wanted to know how to optimise it for use in my room ( i.e stop as much booming as poss and remove as much floor vibration as poss) what do people have to say on the ideas that I've seen else where on these forums, such as large paving slab under sub, small paving slab on top of sub, piece of carpet under sub, putting sub on spikes, etc???

Again, thanks in advance :hiya:

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Put the SUB on a marble/Granite slab to stop the sound going down and rattling lightfittings below! A matching slab on top will work well.

20. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Heh i do like the idea of split picture and picture in picture, but that would require me to upgrade my sky to sky+. Also i'd need to actually be in the country and in possession of a 504 by the weekend of the 15th/16th November, both of which are highly unlikely!
    Still i doubt Australia will beat New Zealand in the semis as much as i'd like to see them in the final.

PS, is it way too early to be talking to you about availability of the 504 in early December?

21. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With the experience I've had previously of waiting for new products they never seem to be on time, no matter what it is, it always seems to be delayed ( maybe its just me??:( ) anyway I'd say if you set yourself a begining of January date ( nice new year present to yourself! :D ) you'd probably save yourself being disapointed for xmas, unless I suppose you stick a big deposit down for one now? ( but I'd really prefer to see one in the flesh before splashing the plastic )

22. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm well i guess we'll get a good guideline as to when the 504 will be available by how soon the 434 shows itself.

23. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

The PDP-434HDE's are just about to start landing with UK dealers - in small numbers this month I'm told.

Pioneer have pulled in extra PDP-434HDE to keep up with demand and these are scheduled for Mid November along with the first of the PDP-504HDE.

Pioneer are usually pretty good at delivering when they say they will and in the past when they think they are going to be late they usually say so.

Best regards

Joe