Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AV Jargon for Dummies?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by gliderpilot925, Apr 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to replace my CRT TV for a 32" LCD and, in my naivety, thought it would be easy. All I had to do was scan the Forum threads and unpick a few of them. How wrong can you be!
    I am left trailing in the wake of terms like HDMI HDCP (High definition something, I guess?) and I don't know whether HDTV is a "must-have" if you're not a Sky subscriber.
    Can anyone tell me where I can find some Lexicon of Jargon, that is, an AV BOOK FOR DUMMIES, which covers compatibility (e.g. I've got a Panasonic DMRE100 which doesn't seem to want to record Freeview programmes) and connectivity so I can connect my laptop as well as a VHS recorder and Pace set top box as well as the DVDrecorder.
    It would need to be an easy reader because when it comes to technology I try hard but I'm not very good at digital joined-up thinking. ;-)

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimg, I have so much more to be confused about now. I suppose I'll just have to try to take it one step at a time and hope the technology hasn't changed by the time I've finished reading.
    Being cynical, I tend not to trust the "information" tendered by salesmen when they're trying to sell me something; are there any other sources you can suggest?

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  5. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimg you are an Ace. However did you come across these sites? (That's rhetorical - no reply expected). I should now be able to determine what I need fairly readily, even if it will take a while. Thanks very much, however, I can't guarantee that I wont come back with questions raised by the articles. Thanks again.