AV/IT cabinet, under the stairs. Advice wanted please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jtonthebike, Jan 30, 2014.

1. jtonthebike

jtonthebike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi All,

We're going to be moving into a new (to us) house in the coming months and while there's a whole heap of work for me to do, I want to ensure that I plan things out in plenty of time so most of the big decisions are well thought out.

It's a traditional Victorian 3 bed terraced property with the staircase in the middle of the house, separating the lounge and dining room. There is a side-door in the dining room. Currently, it's full of the owners junk but I have plans of mounting all the networking/av/IT/etc kit in here. We will be insulating the entire floor (it's suspended) with, I think, celotex (TBC) and my initial thoughts would be to place a floor vent in front of the equipment, ideally the width of the room (the width of the staircase) to allow cool air to be in ready supply.

I envisage placing all equipment in a rack (custom height) so the front of the equipment is facing the opening to the 'room' and the rear of the equipment facing the shallowest part. In terms of accessibility this will be the most ideal solution. However, in terms of adequate cooling, I'm looking forward to some advice/guidance. I am happy to construct whatever is appropriate, perhaps some box venting the width of the room, running towards the back of the rack to 'suck' all hot air up and out to a vent either into the dining room, or perhaps even across the ceiling to outside - though this would be PITA to build.

In terms of kit list

dreambox
    amp (yet to be purchased) but something like Yamaha RX-A1030
    hp microserver x2 fully populated with 7200rpm disks
    apc ups
    passively cooled lounge pc (though this may change to one with fans as it may run too hot in an enclosed space which runs xbmcbuntu and perhaps Steam OS at a later date, currently onboard gpu but i suspect something on the lines of a gtx 780
    24port managed switch
    maybe a dvd/bd player if my good lady insists

I think that's about it.

I haven't built anything like this in a relatively confined/enclosed space before. If there's any links to articles I have missed, it'd be great, thanks!

2. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    There's not that much kit there and you may be fine with just having a vent in the top (expel hot air) and bottom (bring in cooler air) of the door. Try and keep some space between the kit you mount in the rack to allow for some air flow.

3. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I think you'd be surprised at home much heat it will generate especially in the summer. Some dreambox the 800HD from my experience runs pretty hot in the tuner area and some amps - cant speak for the Yamaha - but Onkyo for example run very hot. Plus the 2 HP servers and your separate PC. At the very least put as many metal shelves as you can in the rack to act as bit heat sinks and look at rack mount fans. Another challenge you may have is the noise the equipment will make if its near living area.
    You could do some testing putting all the kit in the area and monitor hard disk, PC, switch temperatures via SNMP, S.M.A.R.T, etc remembering that again any 'extraction' fan will also introduce additional noise

Hope that helps

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    add a fan to the top of the rack cabinet to help with airflow

5. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Would be great to see your progress I plan on doing something along the same lines.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523