Question AV Installation Bits - Faceplates, Cables, etc

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dickz, Mar 21, 2018.

1. dickz

dickz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding online AV supplies suppliers? I'm currently have a one time opportunity in my lounge to lift floorboards to run cabling before a solid wood floor is fitted.

My plan is to run a couple of lengths of cat 6 cable so network points are in the right place, cabling for subwoofer, hdmi, surround speakers, satellite coax x2, usb, all fed through some plumbing waste pipe secured to floor joists.

Although this are is part of a larger lounge/diner the area effected in 14ft x 12ft, with the cabling run being 14ft.

Plan to run these cables embedded in wall conduit, but have yet to find any quality wall plates and cable. Also is it possible to buy lengths of HDMI cable and USB cable and terminate myself or are the install tools to cost prohibitive for a single install. Not looking to spend a massive sum as the room isn't ideal for an AV setup, but trying keep it neat and future proof as much as possible.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for cat 6 wall plates as previously bought cheep ones that don't seem to be UV stable as they've gone from brilliant white to magnolia in colour...

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    Conduit - with a pull cord is always a great idea.

HDMI/USB - are not designed for onsite termination.

Wall plates - we prefer to avoid adding unnecessary breaks in cable runs and use 'Brush' style plates and simply pull the pre terminated cables through an aperture in your wall.

Suppliers - always happy to provide a quotation!

Joe

3. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    +1 for no interruptions in HDMI cabling. Even a simple coupler can stop a cable working properly.

4. dickz

dickz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    Ideally test the USB and HDMI cable before you install them - failing that ensure the In-wall conduit allows for easy cable replacement.

Joe

6. dickz

dickz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    OK, so i've finally done it after months of procrastinating, installed some underfloor ducting that was being thrown out at work, hoorah keep the costs down, so i now have 60mm underfloor flexible round ducting which weighs a ton but easy to pull cables through...

So next stage is to get some sensibly priced speaker cable and a Sub cable, any recommendations? I'm not looking for all bells and whistles and wont be using this with mega bucks sources and my intention would be to use rel quake or BK gemini sub and basic surround speakers have 3 spare BMW V1's that i may hook up. Cable run going to be about 7M, so thats a 7M sub cable and 3 x 7M speaker pairs?

I have USB and HDMI covered and managed to obtain these when Maplins closed. Pair of Cat 6 cable and pair Sat cables are already plumbed in via separate conduit.

Also does anyone no if these gizmos from kenable kenable 3D HDMI Cable 4k2k Repeater Coupler Adapter/Extender Signal... are any good as i have a quality 10M HDMI cable which states it will transmit 4K signal but seems limited to HD.

So in a nutshell looking for sensibly priced quality cables that wont break the bank, and can be left in situ for keeps as Mrs will give me the old "are you tired of living" shakedown if i ever mention ripping the floor up after install is complete!!!

Cheers

Dickz.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    'BMW V1's' - German automotive at its best :)

'quality 10M HDMI cable which states it will transmit 4K signal but seems limited to HD' - we come across those on a daily basis and replace them with our RuiPro Hybrid Fibre HDMI where folk want to deliver 4K UHD, HDR, DV.... we would always run at least one solid core, non-CCA CAT6 as a backup (plus a second one to allow you to put your Display device on your wired network).

'ripping the floor up after install is complete!!!' - should not be required where you have the conduit in place, though you would not be the first person who managed to 'rip' the head off of a long HDMI cable accidentally and have to replace it!

'gizmos' - I would prefer to replace the 10m HDMI cable and if that is not an option you will want a 'Gizmo' with more than a 10Gbps chip set if you want to deliver 4K UHD.

Loudspeaker & Sub cables - we use and supply VanDamme cables for pretty much all of our installs.

Happy to provide a quote for cables if you want to drop the office an email.

Joe

8. dickz

dickz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Its been a busy week!!! Yep as you know meant to say B&W VM1's... Thanks for the quick response, it looks like i may have to convince the mrs that yet another £100 will needed to be added to the budget for another HDMI cable, trying to second guess and future proof comes at a price i guess!!!. Although 60mm ducting is great would imagine it would be total pain to pull a single cable through after the bulk of cables have all been pulled through, but will leave a draw string in place anyway.