AV In wall, Ceiling speakers advice required to compliment m Arendal’s

Rob0437

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Please could you kindly give me some advice on the best in ceiling and in wall speakers for my surround sound set up that I’m shortly to install.

For my front left, right, centre and sub I have Arendal 1961’s. These are powered by a Arcam AVR550 amp.

I want to install two in ceiling speakers and two rear in wall speakers that will be pleasing to my partners eye! My budget will be £500 in total for both sets. I don’t know much about this type of speaker but would like something that will compliment my Arendal’s which have a great sound.

Thank you for any advice that you can give.

You need to bump up your budget if you want to have decent quality. Example below would beminium, sold as each. Personally i wouldn´t buy anything cheaper with Arendals.

If possible i would do the updates in stages so first surrounds and then save up for ceiling speakers. These are better models.

You need to bump up your budget if you want to have decent quality. Example below would beminium, sold as each. Personally i wouldn´t buy anything cheaper with Arendals.

If possible i would do the updates in stages so first surrounds and then save up for ceiling speakers. These are better models.

Thank you. Looking at these they wouldn’t be too much more than what I wanted to spend. Would they offer better sound quality that would work better with my Arendal’s?

Thank you. Looking at these they wouldn’t be too much more than what I wanted to spend. Would they offer better sound quality that would work better with my Arendal’s?
The QR/QL range is their top range below THX so they should be really good. If you compare the specs from the cheaper and more expensive ones there is different mid-bass drivers and 19mm tweeters for wider dispersion, frequency response: plays lower and higher, tad higher power handling etc. It really comes down to budget. As always with speakers buy the best you can afford, but someone might feel the effect channels aren`t that important and then he will spend less for them so up to you.

You could look around dealers and call/email if you can get better deal buying those together so either CR+CL or QR+QL. I think the prices are same with everyone as RRP, but buying 4 speakers you might get some little discount who knows.

Fab thanks for the advice really appreciated. Dali Phantom and also Bowers & Wilkins CWM 362 have also been suggested, how do these compare with the Kef speakers?

Thank you

Rob

Fab thanks for the advice really appreciated. Dali Phantom and also Bowers & Wilkins CWM 362 have also been suggested, how do these compare with the Kef speakers?

Thank you

Rob

Kef has been using coaxial UniQ design for very long time so the QR/QL are certainly good speakers which would do the trick for effect channels. No doubt about that.

However if you fancy Dali then i would look these models below. There must be some Phantom threads at AVF if you search, the feedback what i remember for the LCR Phantoms has been very good.

Personally i wouldn´t look the cheaper B&Ws.

Excellent thank you, it certainly seems that the Kefs are the best option overall. I’ll look for these at the best price. Appreciated

Rob

Thanks Tom I’m keen to match the Arendal’s so I’ll have a look at these now. Did you go ahead and purchase them and if so what are they sounding like?

Hi All
Please could you kindly give me some advice on the best in ceiling and in wall speakers for my surround sound set up that I’m shortly to install.

For my front left, right, centre and sub I have Arendal 1961’s. These are powered by a Arcam AVR550 amp.

I want to install two in ceiling speakers and two rear in wall speakers that will be pleasing to my partners eye! My budget will be £500 in total for both sets. I don’t know much about this type of speaker but would like something that will compliment my Arendal’s which have a great sound.

Thank you for any advice that you can give.
Hi Rob - I think your budget's going to result in a sub-standard experience for you if you compromise on the speakers to get surrounds and in-ceilings for that £500. My advice would be to first install surrounds, and then upgrade to Atmos.

And yes, Atmos is TOTALLY worth it. It's completely transformed my home entertainment system and really does add a huge amount of authority and presence to the sound. When you turn it off after you've gotten used to it, things sound very two-dimensional.

As to the Atmos speakers, once you're ready to buy them I would strongly recommend the OSD Black R83A's. They have a lovely sound, and the directionality of the mid range and highs can be independently adjusted.

I bought mine from American Audio, and also went for the acoustic and fire-retardant hoods as I have a bedroom above the ceiling and didn't want any sound to bleed through and resonate.

You can read more about them here -

Note that the price is for a single speaker, but AA are open to discounts when you buy a set.

I've used American Audio twice now, and have been really satisfied with their level of service, professionalism and knowledge, and planning to purchase another set of R83A's from them to replace my front dolby speakers in the near future.

Chris, the owner, is very approachable.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Marc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom