1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Av In and LANC Help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by greencroft, May 12, 2003.

1. greencroft

greencroft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to purchase a camcorder that has both AV in and LANC capabilities.

This is for an in car camera for use in car rallying where I will be using a separate "lipstick" camera to provide the feed to the AV in port.

As I want to mount the camcorder in a steel foam filled box in the boot of the car, the infra red controller will be no good. Hence I want to use a LANC controller mounted on the dash to turn recording on and off when we start and finish stages of the rallies.

As I understand it so far from searching various web sites, LANC may be q an old technology and many of the more modern camcorders seem not to have a LANC port. I have seen however that some camera's microphone terminal doubles up as a LANC. Is this right?

I was looking at buying a Canon MV600i but can't be sure from my searches whether the LANC will work on this.

Can anyone help?

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  3. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Greencroft,

Get yourself to a Sony dealer and pick up a leaflet on their range. Make sure it has the technical information section too, which is normal a seperate section in off white paper. This will then list which models still come with LANC on them. Then figure out ones with AV in also and your choice is narrowed some what! The Mic socket is not LANC ( LANC is sometimes know as Control - L also On Canon camcorders this is know just as Remote Socket). Their are a few places around making remote controls for this purpose also check out http://www.skytools.m.se/products_all.htm and look at the Cameye products.

Hope this helps !!