Question AV/HDR TV cabling help

Hello,

I'll get to the point. I have bought a new LG oled55cx6la, Panasonic DP-UB820EGK Blu Ray Player, and I use my RX-V581 as central hub. The TV and Player both support at least HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision. I can support HDR10+ in the future if I upgrade my TV but I'm happy with the 3 main formats being supported so far.

My question is this. The Player has 2 HDMI outputs, Audio Out and Audio/Video out, would it be better to connect the Audio Out to the Receiver and the Audio/Video out directly to the TV? Will that setup give me HDR and High Res Audio?

I ask cause of all the recent HDMI updates and so on I gather my RX-V581 HDMI ports are only 2.0 and even though they do have HDCP2.2 on them the ports need to be 2.0a for like HDR10 passthrough? The TV HDMI ports are all 2.1.

Thanks for any help as having to keep so many things in mind and in relation to each other is making my head spin a bit haha

Spec pages for the hardware:

Receiver: MusicCast RX-V581 - Specs - Yamaha - Other European Countries

LG OLED: LG OLED55CX6LA : CX 55 inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV | LG UK

Panasonic Player: Specs - DP-UB820 Blu-ray Players - Panasonic Australia

Last edited:

Last Hope

Standard Member
Hi there!

You won´t have any issue connecting the hdmi 1 to the tv and the hdmi 2 to the receiver. It will give you the HDR/ Dolby Vision and full HD audio out.

Regards!

dante01

Distinguished Member
The RXV581 does support HDR10, but not HLG or Dolby Vision. If you were handling video inclusive of Dolby Vision then you'd get HDR10 instead if passing the video through the AV receiver.

You are correct in your thinking and the 2 outputs on your player would allow you to convey the Dolby Vision encoded video directly to a TV via the player's video HDMI output while simultaneously still outputing the associated HD formatted aufio directly to the AV receiver via the player's audio HDMI output. This is basically why the player has these outputs, to allow older AV receivers to still be used.

Note that the actual differences between static HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR aren't dramatic, but using the 2 outputs on your player will allow you to convey the Dolby Vision HDR dorectly to an input on the Dolby Vision compliant TV while si,multaneously using the player's other HDMI output to convey HD formatted audio to the AV receiver.

Last edited:
@dante01 and @Last Hope thank you both so much for the help. That's a load off my mind. I really appreciate it :)

Just one more question based on your last paragraph dante01 if I may, say a movie has Dolby Vision HDR can I still watch it in HDR if my setup can only run HDR10 for example? I was worried about missing out but if DV HDR has no significant differences between itself and HDR10 can I still watch it in HDR using HDR10 then?

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you were to connect the player's video HDMI output to your AV receiver and play a title encoded with Dolby Vision HDR, the player would revert to the HDR10 element of the metadata that is ordinarilly included with most Dolby Vision encoded titles. The HDR10 HDR would pass through your AV receiver and out to the TV without issue.

If a title in inclusive of Dolby Vision then you'd still get HDR10 if using devices that are not compliant with Dolby Vision, but are compliant with HDR10.

dante01

Distinguished Member
There is a difference and Dolby Vision is marginally suprior. HDR10 is static and the same grading is used throughout the title being viewed, but Dolby Vision is dynamic and can alter throughout the content. You have to look closely to really notice the differences though and they are not night and day.

You may find this of interest:

Conclusion
Dolby Vision is arguably the most advanced HDR format from a technical standpoint, but although it has improved significantly, the lack of content is holding it back a bit. HDR10 has the distinct advantage of having more content available and being supported on the majority of TVs. HDR10+ almost matches the capabilities of Dolby Vision, but is extremely lacking in content, and in the U.S. at least, is only supported on Samsung TVs.

Ultimately, the difference between the two formats isn't that important. The quality of the TV itself has a much bigger impact on HDR (see our recommendations for the best HDR TVs). Although the technology has improved significantly in recent years, it’s still quite early days for HDR. Both formats have the ability to produce much more dynamic images than we are seeing on the best TVs today. The limitation is down to both the TV technology and the way the titles are mastered. We can’t yet reach the 10,000 cd/m2 maximum peak brightness and the expanded 12-bit color range.

It should also be noted that no TV actually has anything more than a 10bit panel.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom