AV "glitch" after Graphics card and PSU Install

pixel8

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I thought it wise to post here but if the mods see otherwise then I've a previous thread here: Question - 4k Graphics Card question

I installed a new PSU (Seasonic Focus GX550) and Graphics card (MSI Geforce GT 1030 2GH LP OC).
Now when playing audio or video from ANY source, ANY resolution or file type, ANY Display using ANY cable type or connection, I have video and sound stuttering every 10 seconds or so but sometimes less or more often. The noise I here definitely sounds electronic and I have provided a sample recorded with my iphone and Youtube screenshot of "stats for nerds" showing frame loss.

stutter stats.jpeg
I've installed and reinstalled drivers, tried all sorts of troubleshooting procedures and programs, ran malaware, HDD, SSD scans - everything! Over the past three days, I've tried all i know to sort this issue with no change.
The thread linked to above is just the conversation about choosing my psu and new graphics card.
My limited knowledge is exhausted so i'm hoping this is something simple I've overlooked and that someone can help me keep my sanity. Many thanks in advance ;)

You need to track down the cause of the problem, rather than throwing random solutions at it.

The first thing I'd do is remove the new graphics card and see if the problem goes away. If it does we can rule out the power supply for now.

If it persists then try the old power supply but with the new graphics card.

Hi
This is so strange. I was actually in the process of reinstalling the old psu and removing the new graphics card when you posted lol - The pc is now back to its original state...The issue however is STILL there...I even made sure the pc was connected directly to mains power as opposed to my power strip previously????

What was your original video card? And what is your soundcard?
The PC has a built in audio-visual cards. Video is: Intel (R) G45/G43 Express Chipset MS Corp - WDDM 1.1 (Driver v.8.15.10.2702) and the Audio is: Realtek High Definition Audio

I would make sure you have fully removed the Nvidia drivers, have a look here for a util to do that. Then retry. If still an issue, remove the Realtek drivers and reinstall. Have a look here for a util to do that. If still a problem, remove the Intel graphics driver and reinstall.
If all good, replace the PSU first and test.
I am assuming you have disabled the Intel graphics in the Bios when using the Nvidia card?

Last edited:
I would make sure you have fully removed the Nvidia drivers, have a look here for a util to do that. Then retry. If still an issue, remove the Realtek drivers and reinstall. Have a look here for a util to do that. If still a problem, remove the Intel graphics driver and reinstall.
If all good, replace the PSU first and test.
I am assuming you have disabled the Intel graphics in the Bios when using the Nvidia card?
Thanks and followed your advice:
Nvidia drivers removed - Issue still there!
Realtek drivers removed and reinstalled - Issue still there!
Intel graphics driver....See pic - If i uninstall how do i get it back to reinstall? Will that reinstall itself on a reboot?
Also re the intel Bios thing - I'm afraid I've no idea as my son installed the graphics card...and sorry but what's the Bios?

Attachments

• display pic.jpg
    display pic.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

You shouldn't need to do that these days and I wouldn't recommend it since it's easy to get caught out and have to fiddle around with jumpers to reset stuff.

It's a weird issue. It's affecting two different systems - Audio and Video - but not the rest of the system? You're not seeing any skips when moving the mouse, scrolling a website or anything else?

Does task manager show any usage spikes in CPU/Disk/etc that correspond to the glitches?

How are your speakers connected? 3.5mm to the sound outputs on the motherboard? HDMI? USB?

There haven't been any jumpers on motherboards for years. The only one you may have it to reset the CMOS.
If you remove the driver for the Intel graphics and reboot, the system will load default video drivers, assuming it can't find the specific ones. If it loads the default video drivers, then reinstall the correct drivers.
If none of this works then as advised start looking at the cabling etc and make sure it is all connected correctly, including the internal cabling.
Oh and the BIOS, is the base o/s on the motherboard that controls the configuration of the motherboard and any attached peripherals.

You shouldn't need to do that these days and I wouldn't recommend it since it's easy to get caught out and have to fiddle around with jumpers to reset stuff.

It's a weird issue. It's affecting two different systems - Audio and Video - but not the rest of the system? You're not seeing any skips when moving the mouse, scrolling a website or anything else?

Does task manager show any usage spikes in CPU/Disk/etc that correspond to the glitches?

How are your speakers connected? 3.5mm to the sound outputs on the motherboard? HDMI? USB?
Hi.
No other system issues however (and although all seems well now) The PC apparently rebooted maybe 3-4 times over past 3 weeks - Don't think it was anything to do with updates or anything.
I had noticed the fan was loud and constant and when changing the card etc, the pc was cleaned properly (as you advised lol) and is now super quiet. So possibly overheating previously as the fan couldn't do it's job properly due to dust clogging?
That aside I've noticed nothing else but I can hear constant but distant "pc type noises" among static through my headphones including when i use the mouse to scroll a webpage etc like a scratching noise when i roll the wheel.
Sound connections:
Speakers via 3.5mm (green audio port at back).
Headphones 3.5mm (green audio port) tested front and back.
HDMI from onboard graphics and also the installed GT1030 card
HDMI from PC to BenQ Monitor and Optoma PJ - Heard and seen through these as well.

The short buzz sound is mostly always the same (as in the sample above) regardless of input or source. It is always short duration and the video stutters seems to occur simultaneously.
The task manager I can't see anything but here's a sample for you - apology for poor quality.
I also checked a "moving graph" of the CPU and there was nothing I would see as abnormal.

Attachments

• screen pic.jpg
    screen pic.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
There haven't been any jumpers on motherboards for years. The only one you may have it to reset the CMOS.
If you remove the driver for the Intel graphics and reboot, the system will load default video drivers, assuming it can't find the specific ones. If it loads the default video drivers, then reinstall the correct drivers.
If none of this works then as advised start looking at the cabling etc and make sure it is all connected correctly, including the internal cabling.
Oh and the BIOS, is the base o/s on the motherboard that controls the configuration of the motherboard and any attached peripherals.
Okydoke - That's great. I take it can just uninstall it from the Device Manager direct then reboot?
I've checked all the cabling and all seems good but i'll check again - Anything specific to look for?
Re the Bios - thanks - thinking i 'll not want to tamper with that but I don't recall my lad getting that technical when installing the new card.
UPDATE: I clicked uninstall on device manager and my screen immediately went blank? It gave me no other options just went blank! I waited for ten minutes then powered down the pc and restarted. PC booted up with same driver - I'm assuming it uninstalled then auto-reinstalled?
The AV issue still remains.

Last edited:
It could be anything from a bad connection, bad earth, badly routed cable that is picking up noise from a power source, loose screws holding the motherboard, etc . If it was mine, I would strip it right down and check everything.

I clicked uninstall on device manager and my screen immediately went blank
Restart in safe mode to load default drivers. Check for issues in safe mode since all drivers are default and often it so useful as part of troubleshooting.

Restart in safe mode to load default drivers. Check for issues in safe mode since all drivers are default and often it so useful as part of troubleshooting.
Thanks for that and thatll get done later. I did try to check my audio in safe mode yesterday but when booted up - safe mode with networking- I had no audio?

...?so how can i check for audio issues in safe mode if drivers aren’t loaded? Forgive my ignorance :-/

Oh ok thanks. Outoftheknow advised to safe mode and check for issues... what issues - any advice?
Also.. in safe mode my graphics chipset shows twice - normally just shows once?
For reference, I also checked my audio-video in safe mode with Low resolution video and problem's still same.

Attachments

• CC84428E-DAB8-4DF4-99DF-E7F192C6DDF4.jpeg
    CC84428E-DAB8-4DF4-99DF-E7F192C6DDF4.jpeg
    727.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 2C14AAF1-9D52-413D-9654-C50592D41C5D.jpeg
    2C14AAF1-9D52-413D-9654-C50592D41C5D.jpeg
    797.1 KB · Views: 58
I was referring to checking video card/driver issues not the audio issues :)

Return to normal mode
I would like to see a screenshot of task manager to see if anything is hogging CPU/GPU resources. Right click on the start menu and start task manager
Do screen shots of processes and performance please.
Also post details of your system, type msinfo in the search box and post summary and storage details including had drive storage and free space
P.S. Rather than take screen shots with your camera use windows snip and sketch tool - some of the screen shots you posted were difficult to read due to moire effects. Type "snip" in the search box and start snip and sketch, then save the results and upload them

Last edited:
I was referring to checking video card/driver issues not the audio issues :)
Ah...ok - Any specific checks...I'm in a learning curve lol?
Return to normal mode
I would like to see a screenshot of task manager to see if anything is hogging CPU/GPU resources. Right click on the start menu and start task manager
Do screen shots of processes and performance please.
Also post details of your system, type msinfo in the search box and post summary and storage details including had drive storage and free space
P.S. Rather than take screen shots with your camera use windows snip and sketch tool - some of the screen shots you posted were difficult to read due to moire effects. Type "snip" in the search box and start snip and sketch, then save the results and upload them
Great little program ;) Here you go and thanks to all of you for your support... The most common HIGH programs are usually the Google Chrome and the MS Search Indexer - It's not always like that. ProcessesScreenshot 2021-03-19 185141.pngPerformance Screenshot 2021-03-19 184821.pngSystem SummaryScreenshot 2021-03-19 185354.pngStorage Drives Screenshot 2021-03-19 185814.png I've added two pics for comparison when actually watching video.

Attachments

• Performance Running Screenshot 2021-03-19 193619.png
    Performance Running Screenshot 2021-03-19 193619.png
    543.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Processes RunningScreenshot 2021-03-19 194100.png
    Processes RunningScreenshot 2021-03-19 194100.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I am beginning to suspect that your system is running out of resources. Your C drive is 87.5% full with little free space, your D drive is 81% full. This will dramatically affect performance. Additionally your processor is over 10years old and maybe showing its limitations. However let's give the system a health check first.
Initially test the storage drives using crystaldiskinfo
Test RAM for errors using windows memory tool, type memory in the start search box and follow the prompts
Then I would rule out a windows corruption
Follow the steps in this YouTube Video by Britec

Update your post after that

Last edited:
So... CrystalDiskInfo and memory checker found no issues.
I ran all the tests in the video EXCEPT the restore and recover stuff - Im backing up my pc as i type. All but one the cmd prompt tests found no issues. The one that showed something was after the Online /cleanup/Image/checkhealth test. When complete it said The component store is repairable and then The operation completed successfully- Everything else came back successfully with no corruption detected. Obviously after all that U tested and the issue is still occurring :(
Q. Is it now necessary to do the restore and recover stuff? Many thanks again 👍

If you have system restore enabled (it is usually disabled by default) you could try a system restore to the point before the problem started. If the problem is one of lack of disk space then a larger SSD would fix it. However I would be wary of spending too much money on a 10year old computer.
You could try going into task manager>startup and temporarily disabling all startup programs (except the audio) reboot and see if that improves things. If it did you would then have to re-enable one by one seeing which one was the cause. I would also disable Norton and see if that has an effect.
Otherwise the next step would be a clean reset as outlined in the video. This would delete your programs and data. You would then have reinstall your programs etc

Last edited:
Thanks again for your support and I’ll have go at that lot. I’ve found an identical pc (used but ticks the boxes with slightly different graphics card) for about £60... I was thinking about that for the motherboard or using it to make a new pc?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom