AV "glitch" after Graphics card and PSU Install

DavidG1

I am not sure going for an identical PC is such a good idea. This would still limit you to the same CPU and processing power as well as the failure rate of a PC more than 7-8 years old. I suspect ther eis nothing wrong with your current motherboard/CPU, it is just that it cannot cope with the demands windows 10 and your other programs are requiring. I noticed that your CPU was running at 50-80% during you watching a video. This is quite high. I think you need a better setup altogether

pixel8

I am not sure going for an identical PC is such a good idea. This would still limit you to the same CPU and processing power as well as the failure rate of a PC more than 7-8 years old. I suspect ther eis nothing wrong with your current motherboard/CPU, it is just that it cannot cope with the demands windows 10 and your other programs are requiring. I noticed that your CPU was running at 50-80% during you watching a video. This is quite high. I think you need a better setup altogether
Haven’t got the money to upgrade unfortunately. Its funny though because the issue only started immediately after the psu/new card install and the fact its still there with pc back to original components seems nuts - is it possible that a component or somethings been knocked or bent by my lad when doing the install? Im thinking he could maybe check the circuits as he (ironically) is good with electrics?

DavidG1

If you can’t upgrade, then free up as much space on your C drive so that you have at least 30% free space and see what other programs are using resources, consider removing Norton AV and using windows defender which is lighter on resources.

is it possible that a component or somethings been knocked or bent by my lad when doing the install?
Unlikely, the PC probably wouldn’t work at all in that situation.

pixel8

If you can’t upgrade, then free up as much space on your C drive so that you have at least 30% free space and see what other programs are using resources, consider removing Norton AV and using windows defender which is lighter on resources.

Unlikely, the PC probably wouldn’t work at all in that situation.
Okydoke... Right well to you and all above, many thanks again for your help. I’ll keep you posted on how I get on from here.
Oh one more question - when I started my back up, I ticked all the drives - not just C... was that necessary? Backups taking forever!!!

DavidG1

Yes it will take a long time, you have several terabytes of storage in total. You could have just backed up the C drive.

pixel8

Lol ok - I was frightened id lose stuff because all the druves were connected to the pc!!! I think i might start again then just with Cdrive and do the other stuff!

pixel8

Well this is strange! :O
Got up in the a.m. pc back up complete and ready to set things up for a restore and repair.
I thought i'd stick some Hans Zimmer on while sorting things out and voila - Sound and visual issue appeared to have gone???
The only change I noticed with the pc from before, was that I only had 4 tabs open in Chrome whereas previously when testing, I had about 30 pages open for various sites.
For continuity, the videos and music files played today were the same used before for any testing.
So with 4 tabs open in Chrome, I played Youtube videos in various resolutions separately then played three at 1080p, running simultaneously for over an hour without issue.
Next I added another 26 tabs to Chrome and continued viewing and listening and then listened to music audio through the media players - Nothing - Still all good but doesn't make sense!
Could it be that I had a website page open that was causing some issue with power draw - Is that even possible?

I'm now champing at the bit to stick the new psu and graphics card back in...!!!

DavidG1

It is explainable, if you look at chrome in task manager, the more tabs you have open the more memory it uses. Some webpages will use more memory than others so it is probably a combination of multiple tabs and opening various sites that is using up available resources and potentially causing the problem. It is possible that the problem may happen again given various circumstances.

Last edited:

pixel8

It is explainable, if you look at chrome in task manager, the more tabs you have open the more memory it uses. Some webpages will use more memory than others so it is probably a combination of multiple tabs and opening various sites that is using up available resources and potentially causing the problem.
So could have simply been a "perfect storm" of webpages then...?
I'm going back to square one now with the new kit and i'll get some data off the C drive as well. Norton i like (and pay for) so i'm maybe gonna keep that as I've got family cover and dark web protection etc
Is there any advice before I install the Nvidia drivers - Am i good to leave the existing ones etc as disabling the Intel graphics in the Bios when using the Nvidia card was mentioned earlier?

pixel8

pixel8

Fantastic - many thanks indeed 🙏

jimscreechy

This doesn't seem like a driver issue to me (easy for me to say when the guys here have been doing all the diagnosing)... Still, that said the stuttering sounds like a buffering problem, and almost definitely nothing to with the new hardware you have.

You've had all the good advice but I'd just stick your new stuff back in.

If it happens again, or actually just do this anyway.

Go to advanced system settings -(advanced tab)
on the performance section click settings
click the change button
your page file is probably on the C: drive (default)
click no paging file,
click set, click ok. and exit. You will get a warning message, click yes. you will need to reboot.

Reboot.

once restarted, run "sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt

once finished it will tell you if it found any errors. If none, great, if found, they will be fixed

Go back into the Advanced system settings as described above and recreate the page file. - you can just click the system managed button which will let windows do it for you. Or you can pick a size you deem appropriate (this tends to be a bone of contention with technical individuals, and there have been long standing arguments on the correct size which go back for more than a decade) I personally use 1024 or 2048 if at all.

let us know.

Last edited:

pixel8

UPDATE:
After all of the above advice taken and implemented (thanks all) I reinstalled the new graphics card and PSU. I've tested several 1080p videos without any av issues ;) .
Sadly though, I sent You tube 4k test videos from the pc to the UHD PJ and the pic was stuttering.
I tried 30Hz videos via the 30 and 60 Hz HDMI ports but no change. My lad has basically determined the rest of my system is struggling to cope with the output?

jimscreechy

Morning,

Scratching my head on this one. not sure if it has been mentioned before, but have you checked the graphics card settings to ensure hardware acceleration is enabled.

pixel8

Hi ;)
I think it's been mentioned but i can't find it, but I haven't changed settings for the new card so..?
Having checked the display settings in windows the acceleration was OFF so I've turned ON the
hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows display settings. Is that what you're referring to?

Last edited:

jimscreechy

The whole hardware acceleration thing is a bit weird. I have a 2080 and I don't have the options for it. There used to be a troubleshooting tab on the advanced display properties window that had a slider the it just disappeared. I think it started being called hardware acceleration GPU scheduling at some point which was again, an option in the default graphics settings. This is going back a year I think and there didn't really seem to be much clarity in settings and supposed control over devices (Nvidia, can't speak to the other brand).

I sort of left it for a while hoping a little more clarity would eventually come, and a couple of months ago I noticed my 2060 on my media PC had these settings but my 2080 didn't. I updated the drivers on the 2080 (my workstation) and I got the most over-bright settings I've ever seen! I could barely navigate the menus... but still no acceleration. The PC was unusable with the new Nvidia drivers I rolled back them back haven't looked at this since. Not that I had any problems, but... you know.

To be honest I've not really delved into this enough to give advice but what it should do (if you have a compatible GPU) is offload the processing of some graphic elements from your CPU, which is better able to do this.

I can only 'assume' that if you don't have the options, it is enabled by default, but this is by no means certain.

Hopefully one of the crew can give a bit more insight here.

pixel8

The whole hardware acceleration thing is a bit weird. I have a 2080 and I don't have the options for it. There used to be a troubleshooting tab on the advanced display properties window that had a slider the it just disappeared. I think it started being called hardware acceleration GPU scheduling at some point which was again, an option in the default graphics settings. This is going back a year I think and there didn't really seem to be much clarity in settings and supposed control over devices (Nvidia, can't speak to the other brand).

I sort of left it for a while hoping a little more clarity would eventually come, and a couple of months ago I noticed my 2060 on my media PC had these settings but my 2080 didn't. I updated the drivers on the 2080 (my workstation) and I got the most over-bright settings I've ever seen! I could barely navigate the menus... but still no acceleration. The PC was unusable with the new Nvidia drivers I rolled back them back haven't looked at this since. Not that I had any problems, but... you know.

To be honest I've not really delved into this enough to give advice but what it should do (if you have a compatible GPU) is offload the processing of some graphic elements from your CPU, which is better able to do this.

I can only 'assume' that if you don't have the options, it is enabled by default, but this is by no means certain.

Hopefully one of the crew can give a bit more insight here.
As always, any discussion and support is appreciated.
When you say "offload the processing of some graphics elements from my CPU"...How could I do that - I also have the VVIDIA Control Panel is that something that can be tweaked at all?

pixel8

UPDATE
First of all thanks to all above for their support ;) (great link jimscreechy - very helpful).

New graphics card and new PSU reinstalled and ?crucially, GPU Scheduling ENABLED in Windows.
Tested same as before and all "generally" is working well.
Multiple (3)1080p videos running simultaneously (1080p monitor) with other open Chrome tabs (20) no issues.
Running via (4k HDMI 4k switch) from PC to UHD PJ to 30Hz HDMI port, I had two 2160p/60Hz You-tube vids running simultaneously with no obvious issues except some minor frame loss and even with that, it wasn't noticeable with no apparent audio issues (Twenty Chrome tabs remained open).

To test I played Interstellar 2160p UHD BR HDR on PC, from PC to PJ and also from PC (as server) to my Panasonic 4k BR Player.
The BR player played the movie perfectly and the PC to UHD PJ link played well, but I had issues with the PC itself (my monitor is only 1080p). When I attempted to play the file, a Microsoft pop-up advised I required a Codec. So with said codec downloaded, the movie played fine via the Windows Films & TV but NOT Windows Media Player as it just stuttered and stuck constantly. Surprisingly, the file initially failed to play on VLC which was a surprise but on a second run, played fine. As an aside I'd say on comparison, Windows Movie & TV was slightly brighter with warmer colour but VLC had slightly more detail as it was slightly less bright. Sp eventually - Success and thanks again. ;)

jimscreechy

Glad it has all come together.

I gave up on windows Media player a while ago since it was having problems playing 4k media (though it always played HD fine. I've really always used VLC by default but it did originally have issues with 4k showing washed out colours. If you find that problem let me know and I will send you a site with the configuration settings on how to fix it.

:thumbsup:

pixel8

Hi
Yeah well chuffed.
Could you send a linky for the site because that's exactly whats happening with VLC - I've used it for years and have always loved the "can do anything" approach it has. ;)

jimscreechy

Sorry I found the link but it didn't work (as so often happens after some time) but knowing this could be the case I made notes, see below. These are the config changes to make in VLC
I originally had a GTX 1050i on this machine (my media PC) but updated it to a RTX 2060, but once the changes were made I've never had to do anything else. VLC works just fine now.

ffmpeg:

Preferences > show all settings > in the search box type ffmpeg
Look for the box on the right hand side which is titled "Threads"
and is probably set to a default value of 0.... change this to
something else.... (I changed mine to 4)

cache:

In Show settings select the All
In Advanced settings, click on the parent option that says Input / Codecs.
In Input / Codecs scroll down to the options under the heading Advanced.
Change the values for File caching (ms) from 300 to a higher value like
1000 or 2000. ( I used 10000).

Enable GPU acceleration

This is set by default to auto
Go to Tools > Preferences > Input & Codecs
In the Input & Codecs Settings window, check Use GPU acceleration decoding,
set to auto
Click Save
Restart VLC to enable the changes

Change video output settings
Click on Tools > Preferences > Video
Under Video Settings in Output, change Automatic to DirectX (DirectDraw) video
output. You can also try OpenGL. ( I set to Opengl windows but Direct3D11 works as well)

Click Save

Hope this helps.

Screech

pixel8

That's fantastic mate - very much appreciated and thanks again :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton