AV Forums - PWD7 deal through MAW !

smind74

Established Member
Reaction score
Just an open note to all forum members to help solve a tricky'ish situation I've got with MAW (Martin).

Basically, there was a 'Power-Buy' deal open to all AVForums members to purchase a Panasonic 42PWD7, with component board, wall mount and 3 year warranty for £ 1,150 inc delivery.

Great deal I thought, especially as I couldn't choose between getting an HD ready screen now.

I was one of the first to place my order for a Silver PWD7 back in July, and did this via the thread and several e-mails.
Through holidays for Martin and confusion for Graham, the whole thread became a bit of a mess.
Eventually I was e-mailed by Martin in August to confirm if I still wanted the panel.
I gave my credit card details and was just waiting for a delivery date.

Martin personally delivered my screen (great service) at the weekend,
however he turned up with a BLACK version and not SILVER as requested.

Now the tricky bit, there don't appear to be any Silver versions left, and I may be forced to go for a PWD8 screen now, which of course would
be a hefty premium at the moment.

(I would also consider a PHD7 or PHD8 if the price was right)

Martin said he'd get back to me on Tuesday, but I'm still waiting so I thought I'd see if any of you guys would offer some advice ?

Why should the PWD8 come with a premium? Doesn't it have a lower MSRP than the PWD7 ever had? At least I thought so...

If your looking to get rid of it I'd be very interested. Please let me know.

You can get the bezel painted. I am sure MAW would know where you can get this done

Ah, so that would be the spare PWD7 in black Martin offered me :rolleyes:

I was in a similar position to you with the special offer. I was also one of the first to put in my order. I chose a delivery date of my choice 3 weeks after order as I needed to offload my rear projection TV (which I did on the For Sale forum here :) ) and I had days off work planned.

Unfortunately I did get a couple of surprises when DHL delivered my plasma direct from Martin's suppliers. 1) I got a wall mount instead of a desktop stand, and 2) the plasma had some rather large cracks all over the screen :eek: :eek: Unfortunately I signed for delivery without checking the screen, I was just so excited at getting it, I didn't take the 60 secs it takes to open it up with DHL there, plasma rookie mistake :rolleyes:

Obviously I was not happy :mad: . I contact Martin straight away and he took the issue away, with regard to claiming on insurance. He also gave me a rough offer over the phone on the PWD8 as a replacement as he had no black PWD7's left as a replacement. I had a think about it, and then asked him to get back to me with a firm offer and when the PWD8's would be available. Smind74, this is where our paths cross.

Given the hassle, and messed up delivery first time, Martin did come back to me with what I thought was a very reasonable offer ;) for the PWD8. So I went for it. And last night, my plasma was delivered by Martin personally in the evening, and the cracked PWD7/wall mount taken away. This is very good service in my eyes by Martin after being let down by his suppliers :clap:

Yesterday was going to be the last day I was willing to continue with sale of the PWD8, and luckily Martin's suppliers came through, delivered to him, and he delivered to me the same day. If they had not, I would have got my money back and tried elsewhere for a panny panel, or tried other makes. And probably posted on here my horror story about the broken plasma with no replacement. The offer Martin put in was a one-time only offer, with limited supplies, but it's still a pain in the backside to accept that when you don't get what you want, I know, I was only a day away from feeling the pain myself.

Hopefully you will also get an offer for the PWD8 from Martin which is also too good to refuse :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

Maw does know where to get this done, but other than that I am a bit stumped here. I've got him down for a black one, which I'm certain is my own stupid fault. I'm waiting for 3 more people to get back to me, that's why you don't have an answer. I don't have one either.

You can actually just buy a silver bezel from Panasonic and fit it. But you'll expect to wait weeks/months for delivery, get delivered the wrong part, with no silver buttons or remote just the bare bezel, then Panasonic will charge you a couple hundred pounds for it!!

Yes, and you can get them sprayed for £100, which, when you examine a silver bezel, is what Panasonic do. They are black if you scratch one.

No need to scratch them - just look at the slightly uneven paint job!!!! It's hardly silver as much as light grey. Problem with spraying them is the carriage back and forth to the guy (I presume we're talking about chappy in Oxford). Useful for the crazier finishes though, would love to find someone interested in (read: mad enough) wanting purple on yellow polka dots!!!

Damn, I never knew I could get my PWD8 in pruple with yellow polka dots, I would have waited longer then :rotfl:

LFCRules said:
Damn, I never knew I could get my PWD8 in pruple with yellow polka dots, I would have waited longer then :rotfl:
:rotfl: :D :rotfl: :D :rotfl: :D :rotfl:

You can still send it in....

Now you're all just being silly.

Ok Martin, I'll wait for some more news over the next week.

p.s. You must like driving ! Delivering to Portsmouth from Surrey. Blimey.

It doesn't make a profit, but it helps people to realise I try very hard to please all of the people all of the time. No matter how hard you try though, fate will intervene from time to time.

Well I suppose a 110 mile round trip isn't a massive way, but just shows that Martin was willing to put himself out for a customer.

I remember I drove 400 miles for my SILVER Kef 5005 set, just because I wasn't happy with handing over the money via E-Bay.

Good to see you 'old-timers' adding to this thread.

Thought you would have had your Horlicks by now and be in bed !

p.s. Once I get the plasma, I'm sure I'll request an ISF , maybe as a group deal as brother-in-law has a Fujitsu 50XHA40US and the father-in-law with a 42PWD6.

If you want a good silver finish on plastic, get a spray can primer and Pantone 877C (silver colour) and just take care spraying. I'm constantly making prototype plastic parts in silver and the finish I get is equivalent or better than manufacturers "silver".

It certainly wouldn't cost £100 more like 25 with good paints/primers and plenty of care.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom