AV Forums Podcast #14, September 15th 2006

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
In this episode as well as the usual home cinema, DVD and gaming news, we take an early look at X Men 3 and the new Star Wars original trilogy on DVD; The Brothers Grimm HD-DVD from Japan; and for gamers, Dead Rising for the Xbox 360. Plus we also finish our look at the piracy debate by discovering why DVD reviews may never be the same again; and we get the latest news from Toshiba.

This is easily our longest podcast as the Toshiba interview is particularly in-depth. We hope that you find it as interesting as we did.

70.05Mb, 77 minutes. Direct Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Help !!!! how shortly is shortly for the mp3 I fly to the States in a few hours and need the podcast to ease the tedious flight. :lease:

3 minutes later. The m4b should work in most players, though.
As if they'll let you take an mp3 player in your hand luggage!

Thanks Stuart and by the way according to our airline all hand luggage restrictions have been removed back to the previous with only liquids and cosmetics being banned...off to download now :smashin:

Is the M4B working properly?

I can't seem to download it:rolleyes:

working now:thumbsup:

Sweet :)
Some excellent information there :) more so on the 1 gen hd-dvd players :)

Good PodCast! :)
Got a question though, the X-Men 3 review, was it of the R1 or R2 DVD, as it said the soundtrack was 5.1 Dolby Ex, but several sites have said the audio on the R1 will include a DTS ES 6.1 audio track as well as the Dolby Ex track?

Thanks, James.

Great job, this interview. Really answered some questions for me.:thumbsup:

However I'm still slightly concerned about delivery of the "X" model. It is stated that supply of the blue laser seems to be no problem, but I somehow wonder if the same goes for the HDMI 1.3 chipset. I am seriously tempted to go for the cheaper model now, in order to make sure I won't be empty handed come Christmas. If that means sticking to plain DTS than that will have to do.... :)

Good PodCast! :)
Got a question though, the X-Men 3 review, was it of the R1 or R2 DVD, as it said the soundtrack was 5.1 Dolby Ex, but several sites have said the audio on the R1 will include a DTS ES 6.1 audio track as well as the Dolby Ex track?

Thanks, James.
It was the R1 version which does have the DTS-ES track. However due to tight writing scheduling on bringing you the review, I did mention the DTS being better (although the DD is very good!), however due to timing etc. the addendum to my review didn't make it. Apologies, but

YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED :)

It was the R1 version which does have the DTS-ES track. However due to tight writing scheduling on bringing you the review, I did mention the DTS being better (although the DD is very good!), however due to timing etc. the addendum to my review didn't make it. Apologies, but

YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED :)

Thanks! :)

how do i get this onto my mp3 player ( zen v ) it just comes up as a quicktime screen so i can listen to it on the computer

how do i get this onto my mp3 player ( zen v ) it just comes up as a quicktime screen so i can listen to it on the computer

Try right click and save as, then just export the saved file to your mp3 player.

Try right click and save as, then just export the saved file to your mp3 player.

Doesn't work my friend and I would like to listen to it alot, any way to subscribe to it without using itunes i.e my own players software ( zencast )

Anyone have problems playing this #14 and #13 on a iPod (5g Video)? I download it from iTunes and haven't had problems playing it before. Redownloaded a few times but I still can't play it.

Anyone have problems playing this #14 and #13 on a iPod (5g Video)? I download it from iTunes and haven't had problems playing it before. Redownloaded a few times but I still can't play it.
Can't comment directly on those 2, but there appears to be known issues with some podcasts and the 5G iPods.

I spoke to Apple a while ago when I had this issue - the only information they gave me (without spending ÂŁ35 for technical support - yes, ÂŁ35!) was to update the firmware and re-initialise the iPod (which means losing all your music on it).

I will say that from 50% of the podcasts I had not working, it went down to only 1 not working.

I've always had problems playing the AVF podcasts on my 5G, it's not the new (1.2) firmware that caused the problem for me. I subscribe to quite a few others podcasts and these work perfectly, I put it down to the 'fancy stuff' used on the AVF podcast!!

I found that if you press the forward button imediately after it starts it sometimes then plays on my ipod, incidentally it doesn't play on either of my PC's using iTunes .

I've always had problems playing the AVF podcasts on my 5G, it's not the new (1.2) firmware that caused the problem for me. I subscribe to quite a few others podcasts and these work perfectly, I put it down to the 'fancy stuff' used on the AVF podcast!!

I found that if you press the forward button imediately after it starts it sometimes then plays on my ipod, incidentally it doesn't play on either of my PC's using iTunes .

Which file are you downloading? The mp3 or M4b?

I've subscribed using iTunes, the file name is '14 AV Forums Podcast #14.m4b'

Incidentally don't take this as a complaint, it's by far the best podcast I listen too.

I've subscribed using iTunes, the file name is '14 AV Forums Podcast #14.m4b'

Incidentally don't take this as a complaint, it's by far the best podcast I listen too.

It could be the interactive features that are stopping the file playing then, try the mp3 file and see if that plays for you.

I tried a complete reset and loaded the latest v1.2 software. It has improved slightly as the AVFourm podcast starts after a few attempts and then plays OK. I have the same problem with MacCast podcast which also uses the enhanced podcast format.

Obviously an iPod issue, that Apple don't appear to be able to fix.

Just like to say the Toshiba interview on #14 was really excellent, nice to hear a straight talking interview from a major manufacturer. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom