1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** AV Forums League. Sign up**

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by DanTheMan_77, Apr 15, 2005.

1. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered what peoples opinions were on the Pro Evo tournament. Would you all be up for running a similar event regularly? What do you think of the current format? One night wonder, then quarters etc. Would you prefer to go straight to semis. League format or knockout? Please post some suggestions of how we can improve things. Don't seem to have had any issues with lag reported. Is it that my 1Mb minimum requirement was a good idea?

Answer on a postcard...!

There's a good group of us of a similar standard. I've had some great matches recently ad would like to set up some sort of league/cup competition regularly.

Stick your name below if you wanna join in. You have to be serious and dedicated though, the minute people start missing matches, people loose interest and the whole thing goes tits up like the original league did. The reason the last 2 competitions have worked so well is that we all turned up and played our matches. Having set times and fixtures is definately needed. I don't mind sorting that out, or if anyone wants to lend a hand that would be cool. I reckon they'll be about 16 of us up for it, but lets see how many names we get it can be more. Will probably run a one night wonder knockout with all the names we get as a little trial to check everyone is serious. It's easy to stick your name down on here. Please don't time waste.

Cheers lads

:thumbsup:

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Count me in :smashin: Name/tag - Captain Benefit

However, due to a long term commitment to my band Thursday is a no no for me and occasionally Wednesday, but most other nights are fine :lesson:

Pete.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Your generous whipping boy here is always about and up for a go. I'd love to see a league format work myself (I would get to play more games instead of getting knocked out!), but whatever suits me...

4. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    I'm most definitely interested too.

5. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm game for a league too Munkey. Maybe you could give us a hand in organising it.
    Would need proper fixtures and times. My suggestion would be to have a league of 16 and play three nights every week. Play home and away matches on the one night. So the league would run for 5 weeks. Fixtures and tables would have to be posted each week. There's a bit of admin involved in keeping it all up to date.

'Whipping boy'... I'm sure you've been putting the practice in behind closed doors...! You gonna come back with a bang? Send me a text when your on and you can test your whipping by status aginst moi!

L8rs

Dan

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    oooh go on then you've twisted my arm :smashin: . My work means that I have to go out on appointments during some evenings but I generally know what these are a week or so in advance :thumbsup: .

7. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    definately interested :thumbsup:

8. harrist0

harrist0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me and DJBaldy are definately in. A League sounds good.
    Harbinator done well to organise the last tournament so everything should run smoothly again. The 1mb limit worked well as there were no real problems with lag.
    The only problem which occurred was the problem with me and Homer Thompson being unable to connect. but other than that everything ran smoothly.

9. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    count me in for a league im on 2mb now :) so should be fine tag is t0ffeeman spelt with a zero. im online tonight if anyone fancies a game

10. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys.

Glad to see plenty of you are up for it. I will sort something out once the other comp has finished. Keep the suggestions coming in. I am open to any ideas. Want to make this a really good league or cup that we all look forward to playing in. Not like the last league. No one can be arsed chasing people on here to try and get matches played.

The 'no reply received error' is a compatibility issue between routers. One or both of you connect your xboxes directly to router and you'll be laughing

Cheers

11. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I'd be up for a league also.

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Never a problem mate. Always about to lend a hand. I'm always willing to send out PMs to those slipping, post up league tables, post fixture lists, whatever is necessary. Hard fixture dates needed, for sure, but they do have to be semi-flexible. Good luck, the poisoned chalice is yours now... ;)

13. kirk grubb

kirk grubb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Big thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

14. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers! It's certainly poisoned...! Seems there's a good few people up for a league. Like to try and get t0 16 teams. Once we've got enough interest will run another champions league to guage people's commitment before the real league gets started.

Keep the suggestions coming in.

Dan

15. Top Gunner

Top Gunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Count me into chaps.

Cheers.

:thumbsup:

16. DanTheMan_77

DanTheMan_77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I make that 11 so far guys. Anyone else up for it? Stick your tag below. Keep those suggestions coming in as well. Do 10 min matches suit everyone? Do you want to play home and away ties (if lag wasn't an issue)? Club teams, or National teams? etc etc... Let me know your thoughts. The more the better, then we can get a really good league going that suits everyone.

Cheers

Dan :)

17. Top Gunner

Top Gunner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest playing twice a week, personally, putting aside 3 nights a week may prove to be tricky at times, being the social butterfly I am :cool: this way you could play 1 home game & 1 away game per week.

I would also be happy to keep the rules similar to those which we are currently using for the Champs League event, e.g. 10 minute matches, normal condition etc.

Cheers all.

18. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Personally, I reckon play once a week as we have been but play home and away on the same night.

As an example, say eleven players playing each other over 10 weeks should be a great league. I reckon we should try and keep it as 'football' like as possible, which is why once a week would be good. Could probably stretch to twice however.

Would work out as twenty games, which could total upto 60 points!

Pete.

19. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    I don't think we need to hold out for more players. Once of the problems with the old league was that lots of people joined and then didn't bother to participate. If we have 11 now then stick with that. If necessary we can also run a cup competition alongside, just straight knockout (one or two legs, I don't mind which) which would allow those who didn't sign up for the league for whatever reason(s) to participate in something too.

As for teams, I'd say club sides. To make it extra interesting you could pick teams from just one country and try to seed them to players according to the current ability/results stats (either from the last AVForums Champs League) or from the online stats on Xbox live. You could try to create a natural playing field by giving the weaker players a stronger team and vice versa. Then repeat the process at the end of the league for the following season, either using the final standings or the XBL stats at that time.
    Whadayareckon? :D

20. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Nice idea. However, there could be a real imbalance here as some of the teams really are shocking :) Also, are there really any weaker players here? The standard between us all seems similar with the odd game going either way. LFC is way out in front however, but I am yet to see his interest in the league. :confused:

Pete.

21. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Oh, thanks for the game over the weekend Captain Benefit, btw! :)

I agree that some of the teams are pretty crap but if there's only 11 or 12 of us then no-one has to play as Norwich or Portsmouth or Palace (if we were to use the Premiership). Plus the better players would then have to rely more on tactics and their skill to try and beat those who aren't so good but have the better teams. And anyway, after a season if you ended up with with bunch of losers then you can at least have a better team for the second season :D

22. webster

webster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in joining up on your league I'm running a 2meg bt line.

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I wouldn't say that LFC is way better, he's a good player but our games have always been tight with results going either way. That said i've not played him for a while. My problem is that I lose games that I should win and tend to perform better against the "better regarded" players. I find that PES is basically a state of mind (just like real sport) and that a player who is really up for a game can beat a "better" player who isn't really firing on all cylinders.

As the Champ league has shown, there a number of us that are of a similar level and giving some of us worse teams would mean that the eventual league positions would be more based on what team you got as opposed to player ability.

I do agree that we should not be out trying to attract players to the league just for the sake of numbers as all of the people who are actually bothered about playing will have already noted their interest.

I'd MUCH rather be in a league with 10 committed people than 16 where 6 of them never show up for games (as happened before).

EDIT: I also think that 1 night a week is fine (1 home & 1 away game) - 3 nights is too much. I don't mind the competition going over a few weeks as long as the people playing are committed.

24. webster

webster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any one know of any good pro evo league websites running.

25. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Thats a fair comment though he murdered me when I played him.

However, he does have a tendancy to score the same goals using the same old pull the keeper out routine and slip the ball to an unmarked striker. :eek: :D

A goal is a goal though I suppose :lesson:

Pete.

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    He was slagging off people who score this goal all the time in a separate post :D . To be honest I can only score that goal against people who can't defend well or if someone has a lapse of concentration. LFC Fan is a good player and it's a shame that he hasn't participated in any comps since the first one as we always used to have some pretty decent games. If i'm honest i'd say that he had the edge over me when we played before, although I did get the odd win against him. My game has improved quite a bit since live but then i'm sure his has too and he's played quite a few games by the look of it.

My problem with PES is that I still end up playign on the PS2 version the most as all my mates have it on PS2 and won't play the XB version. The two versions are different and I find that if I go and play a live game after an afternoon playing on the PS2 then it takes me a game or so to get used to it again. The X-Box version's run is slower than the PS2 which makes wing play (my Arsenal strategy) much less effective.

27. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    So are you saying that the PS2 version is faster???

Pete.

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Not the actual game itself Pete, but when you double tap sprint for the really quick sprint it's faster on the PS2. They toned it down a bit on the X-Box version. A skillful player who has mastered all of the sprint functions can tear apart defenses down the wings on the PS2 but it's much easier for the defender to block a cross, or tackle the winger on the X-Box version.

29. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    LFC Fan absolutely hates these goals :eek: , as do I . . . . . .

So i'm surprised he would repeat the method if he was already winning :confused: We are talking about the same guy aren't we?, Is there another LFC something or other around here??

Like you say, and it's been said in threads before, a goal is a goal and you have to learn to defend against it, but still a bit of a cheap thing to keep doing again and again. But if the only chance that appears in a game is one of these chances then take it, but if your 3 up or whatever, I myself like to add some variety and try other stuff.

When LFC Fan was at the top of his game, he was one of the best players that I had come up against. Like alot of players you have to learn and suss out their style, and then your games become tighter and more even over time. I actually played LFC Fan over the weekend, and we both don't play as much as we use to, and it showed, we were still pretty even overall.

I'll have to add some of the newer lads around here to my friends list, like I said I don't get on quite as much as I use too, and BT have not been bothered about upgrading my connection yet, so i'm unable to participate in these competitions of late.

Giz.

30. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Indeed variety is the spice of life they say and there's nothing quite so dull as scoring the same goal over & over.

We'll have to have a game sometime Giz, it's been a while and I must confess that I only really go on for these tourney's these days. PooonTang often tries to emulate your 50 yard shots but he hasn't quite got the knack yet :D .

Are you not up for this tourney Giz? It would be cracking if you and LFC Fan could participate. :thumbsup: