AV Distribution around the house - new build

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by zed4, Jun 15, 2015.

1. zed4

zed4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Hi,

My friend has just finished a complete house renovation. It's in Richmond and it's a very high end, luxury town house, so it's been built to a high spec.

He doesn't know a great deal about AV so he plans to get an expert in to finish the system off, but before he does, he's asked for some help.

He currently has:

AV Cupboard with all cables terminating inside
    Two bedrooms, each with a TV antenna, 1x satellite point and two network points.
    Living room with three TV "stations" each have 1x satellite point (in hindsight he should have fitted two for Sky+) one TV antenna point and two network points.
    Garage with 1x satellite point, 1x TV antenna point and two network points.
    TV aerial and satellite on the roof with a quad LNB

In the AV cupboard he has the 4x satellite cables from the roof and the TV antenna cable, as well as every cable from each room.

So what's the best course of action here? Presumably he will have a network switch to distribute Internet and computer data over the cat 6 cables to each socket in each room. But I'm also wondering how he will distribute TV and other media around the house. He could just have a TV antenna distribution box to hook the antenna up to each room. If he wants Sky, then he'll need to join the satellite cables to each room in the distribution cupboard. But he has 6 or 7 satellite points around the house, but only 4 satellite cables from the dish/LNB. I don't think you can use splitters with satellite feeds, correct?

So what other options are there? In wondering if he should fit an AV receiver, Sky box, blu-Ray player etc in the cupboard and then used the cat 6 to distribute it around the house. Would this work? What would he need to do this?

Any ideas for him?

Thanks,

Dan

ImageUploadedByAVForums1434401011.198389.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1434401026.461976.jpg

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    He needs a data switch for ethernet, and a multiswitch for satellite, radio and TV. That solves the basis data and IRS infrastructure. He needs to discuss data, telephone and wifi requirements so that the wall plates and the connections in the rack room are made off appropriately.

At that point you can get in a control system, a video matrix, centralise your video sources and send HDMI signals over CAT6 cables to each TV in the house and have simple wireless controllers and/or use phones/tablets to control TVs. This will have a knock on effect on how the CAT6 cabling is patched within the rack.

If there is speaker wiring to multiple zones you can introduce an audio amp and matrix (or single unit which does both) and have a multiroom audio solution. This could be limited to audio sources such as locally stored music (MP3s, iTunes etc), (internet) radio, streaming services such as Spotify, Napster, Tidal. It could also integrate all of the video sources such that when you watch for example Sky the picture is shown on the TV in the zone you are in and the audio is played from the high quality (ceiling) speakers in that zone.

If there is speaker wiring for a surround configuration in one or more zones you can put the AV receiver into the main rack area. Otherwise you will need a small secondary node in the room where the cinema kit will go and use existing CAT6 feeds (hoping there are enough) to get audio and video sources distributed into that zone. You will likely need a second control system unit there for (remote) control.

Then you get the luxury control system add ons. Is there underfloor heating with a data link available? CCTV cameras? Door or gate entry? If they are compatible and have CAT6 wires back to the hub you may be able to integrate in one way or another.

First thing the guy needs is a professional to sit with him and discuss his requirements first (i.e. how much of the above he wants). Second step is to see if the existing cabling allows it or what compromises to the brief could be made. Third step agree budgets and hardware spec then get it installed and programmed! Easy really, obviously anyone can do it ;)

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I make that 6 TV Locations so in practice you would need a 2 x 6 HdBaseT matrix, however it maybe better to get a larger matrix to allow for expansion.

However with the AVR it gets a bit trickier as though this can be mounted centrally you cant run speakers over Cat6 cable so you would need to either locate the AVR in the cinema room/surround sound room (assuming there is one) or run new speaker cables.

Another complication is that if the AVR is located in one TV zone all other zones would have to have the same audio capabililties, as HDMI can only send one audio stream at a time. ie if you had 5.1 out from Skybox in one zone and the other zones couldnt handle 5.1 they would potentially get no sound.

I would still connect up the aerial to 6 or 8 way aerial distribution amp as always best to still have option of freeview if only a backup.

More than happy to help and looks like they have most of the infrastructure in place

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    It's easy enough to use a single CAT6 feed to send two electrical digital audio feeds from a pair of sky boxes and virtual input the amp to get 5.1 in that zone while still letting the Sky box send 2.0 elsewhere via HDMI.

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I think the OP has only got 2 Cat6 per room though, one for HDMI and one for networking.

Seb

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    The living room has three sets of two so it all depends where the receiver is gonna go you may be able to double up or use one of the other location for a robust wireless access point and run the TV in that zone wifi.

Another option is send 100mbps Ethernet down HDBaseT with the HDMI and control signals to get your Ethernet that way if Gigabit speeds are not required at the location.

Another option is 1080p HDMI over a coax and free up two CAT6 cables in a single location.

Another option is a digital audio switch in the rack and use the coax in the TV location as digital audio feed into the AVR if Freeview TV can be taken out (very common when there's already two Sky boxes in the system).

Short story long, the guy has plenty of options :p

Well he has plenty of options so long as the AV cupboard isn't a top shelf in a wardrobe like it appears to be in the photo??????

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    There are always options

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Others

A 5.1 capable soundbar at each TV location
    An Audio Downscaler at each Tv location
    Tvs that downscales 5.1

but as you say not until we know the whole story and budget can we really advise

9. zed4

zed4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I will come back with a more detailed reply when I have more time!

The AV cupboard is in the top of the hallway cupboard, near the front door. It's huge, masses of space in there. The cupboard was specifically built to house the network and AV gear.

He's not bothered about surround sound, there have been no speakers installed in any of the rooms, nor has any wiring for speakers, so he would be using a soundbar.

I've been doing some research regarding HDMI to cat 6 adapters and it seems they require 2 dedicated cat 6 cables without wall plates or patch panels to work. As he has two cat 6 ports for each TV point, that's not likely to work. They were originally intended as data connections for smart TV's, Playstation etc. so they'll both be needed. He certainly won't want wires running along the skirting from the other cat 6 connections in the room!

I think perhaps we'll have to forget the multi room AV. He would be better off just installing a Sky box and blu-ray player in each room that needs them. As far as I can see, the coax to each TV point is the same, so he would just change the faceplate from 1x TV antenna and 1x Sat connection to 2x Sat connections, to enable him to use Sky+.

I have just looked into satellite multiswitches, that's just what he needs. Thanks, I'd not heard of them before.

PS. He already have an AV guy coming over to discuss the options, I'm just putting together some ideas for him beforehand.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

10. zed4

zed4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    I should add that he's not really into TV or AV that much, but he just wants to make the most of the cabling that's been installed and have the neatest solution.

11. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    Forget about the installed cabling - though how you end up with installed cabling on a high end Refurb without having installed the cabling to a pre agree design I don't know.

Define what the customer/needs in each Zone, how much he wants to spend and hand that over to a system integrator or two and see what comes back.

Joe