1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV control box, which one to get?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by niall18, Apr 13, 2005.

1. niall18

niall18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi..

So i finally bought my Panasonic PW7 a few weeks ago and it totally rocks.....thanks to lisag who answered a lot of my posts when I was initially flapping around :) Anyway the pany only came with a PC input and single scart board so at the moment I've got my Sky+ box hooked up to it but now I also want my Playstation2 hooked up.

At the moment all I have on the PSX2 is the standard 3 connector input cable, I have the scart adaptor for it so am thinking all I really need is some AV Control Box which I can plug both my PSX and Sky+ box into. Is this the best course of action and if so are there some control boxes better than others. I want the best picture for everything so if theres a better but more expensive way of doing it I'm willing to listen to all :)

Cheers.

2. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Joytech Av controller about £45 (4 into 1)

Quintro+ AV controller about £90 (4 into 1)

Yer pays yer money . . . etc

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You should at least take advantage of RGB instead of just the composite you get from the cable you have. A PS2 RGB scart cable shouldn't cost too much and even the cheap ones (about £5) give a decent picture. Either way you do it, you're probably going to need a switch as John mentioned. I have a Vivanco 16802 SBX 95 SE (here), which gives me 4 scart (and one other AV) inputs to my one scart terminal on my plasma. Picture quality is fine...having said that I've now sampled component, so am slowly heading that way. I just need to find a decent component input switch myself now!

4. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Forgot to mention, if all you are going to connect is Sky+ and PS2, then you could also use the VGA input that's built in on the PW7, but you'll need to get a converter for that, or you could just buy another scart terminal board....got a headache yet? ;).

I have from trying to work out my options!

Edit:

Actually, just thought a bit more about and you could just connect your PS2 to the video scart socket on your Sky+ and then the TV scart socket on the Sky+ box to the scart board on the plasma. If you get the PS2 RGB cable, I believe the Sky+ box should pass it through straight to the plasma (check your Sky+ box manual though). This would be by far the cheapest option.

5. niall18

niall18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot guys, i'll check out that sky thing 2night....i prob should have tried that out anyway. Will let you know how it goes.

6. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Toby, you're right, but there are issues doing it this way regarding the state of sky+ and the passing-though. Whilst this IS cheap, it's problematic in terms of options.

Also, Toby, a ('half'-decent) component switcher, 4-into-1, is going to cost about £100. A decent one, more than triple that. (according to my research - feel free to prove me wrong )

7. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If it doesn't work it might be because you've still got the original composite leads. You should still get an RGB scart lead for it and try it again. You'll need something a little like this.

8. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Possibly true, but if all that he's going to hook up to the plasma is the Sky+ box and a PS2 and the box passes the signal without any problems or degradation, then it's the best solution. When Niall gets more equipment he wants to add to the equation, then it'll be time for a different solution. Personally though, I would go for a switch, I was just telling Niall the cheapest solution along with the other recommendations.

I was originally referring to an RGB switch for Niall there. It's me that's on the lookout for a component switch. While we here, can you recommend any (all price ranges)?

9. niall18

niall18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot guys, i've been real busy at work so haven't had a chance to reply. I ended up buying a the scar adaptor which i plugged the composite leads into. I then put the scart into the second Sky+ box socket and it redirected the signal fine once I turned the box of. Only ended up cosing me a few quid for the scart adaptor, I lost my old one :)

I do have a PSX2 S-Video cable....I tried plugging this into the back of the Sky+ Box but that didn't work which was a shame, still I'm not sure how much better S-Video is compared composite. It looks pretty good anyway and GT4 rocks on it :thumbsup:

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    ixos do a ps2 scart cable for about £20 - 25...and it is TDB!