av connections

gazzaball62

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi people can someone help an idiot try to connect a 6/7 year old hd TV (not a smart TV) to a sky q box and a bluray player Via an av receiver ? the TV has x3 HDMI inputs (no arc} just numbers 1,2,3 inputs. the Blu-ray has x 1 HDMI arc out connection the Marantz receiver im trying to connect to has x 1 arc out and x 5 HDMI inputs. the sky,blue-ray player and the marantz all have optical connection but the TV does not. i just dont know how to put them all together so i can hear them through the av with pictures on my TV ??? can someone help me?? kind regards Garry

Simply connect the AV receiver's HDMI output to one of the TV's HDMI inputs. Connect the other HDMI equipped devices directly to the AV receiver using their HDMI outputs to the AV receiver's HDMI inputs.

Upvote 0
That’ll sort everything apart from getting digital audio from the TV’s digital tuner into the AVR. OP says the TV has no ARC or optical output so I presume it must have a digital coaxial output instead that could be used for that.

Upvote 0
I'm not too sure as to why he'd need to have an audio connection from the TV to the AV receiver? It doesn't sound like the TV hosts any SMART apps and he is using a SKY Q box for access to TV content. If the SKUY box is connected directly to the AV receiver then why would the inability to output digital audio from the TV be an issue?

Upvote 0
Well yes, if that's the way he's using it then audio out from the TV it would a non-issue. I guess I'm just used to ARC where I can just click the TV on and there's automatically sound from the AVR.

Upvote 0
Well yes, if that's the way he's using it then audio out from the TV it would a non-issue. I guess I'm just used to ARC where I can just click the TV on and there's automatically sound from the AVR.

I'd ordinarilly agree with what you've said, but due to the TV's deficiencies and the actual lack of any real need to output audio from the TV in this case then I think it safe to say that it is easier to simply forget about trying to access any audio via the TV and simply rely upon the sources being connected directly to the AV receiver via HDMI.

This would allow both the video and audio to be output to the AV receiver and for the video to be passed through and out to the TV while the AV receiver deals with the audio.

Upvote 0
TBH I haven't a satellite receiver in my system for about 15 years so am not familiar with the current Sky box. I'm sure it has many extra ones that aren't on it, but does Sky have all of the channels that are on Freeview?

Upvote 0
TBH I haven't a satellite receiver in my system for about 15 years so am not familiar with the current Sky box. I'm sure it has many extra ones that aren't on it, but does Sky have all of the channels that are on Freeview?

I don't have SKY, but I do have a Virgin Media cable TV box and yes, you'd get every channel available via Freeview plus a considerable number of additional channels not available via Freeview.

Whether most of these extra channels are actually worth watching is another matter though :)

Upvote 0
Which TV make and model?

Most unusual for an older TV to have hdmi and no sound output that could be used (via scart or RCA/phono if not digital).

Freeview carries BBC local radios that aren't on satellite (no idea if Virgin carries them).

Upvote 0
Which TV make and model?

Most unusual for an older TV to have hdmi and no sound output that could be used (via scart or RCA/phono if not digital).

Freeview carries BBC local radios that aren't on satellite (no idea if Virgin carries them).

Virgin Media do carry BBC radio stations:

But the most recent 360 STB doesn't facilitate you being able to access them.

Upvote 0
Virgin Media do carry BBC radio stations:
Freeview carries up to five relevant English Local Radios on each transmitter group: BBC local radio services

Only BBC Local Radio London is on satellite and Virgin.

e.g. Sandy Heath has 5: Cambridgeshire, Three Counties, Northampton, London and Norfolk
Bilsdale (West Moor) has 4: Newcastle, York, Cumbria and Tees

Upvote 0
So why would I need to use Freeview if I can simply use the integral internet radio as provided by most AV receivers?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom