AV Connections

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by shawn260680, Mar 12, 2013.

1. shawn260680

shawn260680
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,I have the following 3 devices:TV: Sagem rear projection.Sky HDPanasonic home cinema system.The TV has no HD connections but does hav 3 scarts, a DVI-D and he Red, yellow, white connections.Sky box has HDMI, scart and Digital audioHome cinema has HDMI, red Yellow and white and Digital audio.At the moment I have connected the SKY box to the tv via HDMI - DVI-d connector but as DVI-D carries no sound I have used an optical cable from the sky box to the home cinema system, but then had to connect the home cinema system to the TV via a video cable (the yellow one in the red yellow and white) which doesnt give a very clear picture. Is there any way to connect the sky box and home cinema system via HDMI to the TV's DVI-D? As I only have 1 DVI-D on the TV will a hdmi splitter work with it as both the sky box and the home cinema have to be on for sound?

MOD COMMENT: POSTED IN WRONG SECTION

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    What you need for connecting multiple sources into a single playback device is a switch - not a splitter. The simplest option would probably be to connect the Sky box and home cinema system to a standard HDMI switch, then use an HDMI - DVI cable to connect the switch output to your TV.

I’ve never had to use a switch before, so there aren’t any that I can recommend from personal experience. It may be worth a look through the HDMI section of the forum for recommendations though:

HDMI Cables and Switches | AVForums.com

As it happens, it may also be worth asking a moderator to move this thread to that section of the forum seeing as how your query doesn’t have anything to do with cable TV.

For future reference, the red, white and yellow plugs are known as RCA or phono connections. The yellow phono connector transfers video in a format known as Composite, and the red & white phonos transfer analogue audio. On the home cinema system, the Composite connection will be an output, whereas the red & white audio phonos will be an input. You can use these audio inputs to connect other audio devices (iPod, PC, etc) through the home cinema system.