1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV connection problems...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mrmark01, Mar 4, 2005.

1. mrmark01

mrmark01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Complete AV novice here...

I am trying to setup a freeview set top box, a video recorder and a tv.

I have used the adviser on this website, (which is very good by the way) and connected as advised.

To confirm, that's;

1, Main co-ax arial to digi box

2, Co-ax link to video

3, Co-ax link from video to TV

4, Scart lead from digi box to video

5, Scart lead from video to TV

Channel 0 has been tuned in on the TV to the video.

This is the problem;

When everything is powered up, the digi box remote will not work, after selecting the correct AV channel.

I can see the picture, and have sound, but no remote.

If I swap the SCART leads around on the back of the video, the remote starts to work, and I can see the picture, but I loose sound on that AV channel.

Heeeeeelp.....

I have a feeling I am doing something really stupid. But can't see what...

The idea is that I should be able to watch digi TV whilst recording analogue and visa versa.

Has anyone got any ideas

Cheers...

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    How about starting from first principles. Connect one thing at a time and check it works. Then add the second device etc.

3. mrmark01

mrmark01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep...

Connecting digi box directly to the TV via SCART lead and it works fine.

As I mentioned earlier, I can access the video channel either by pressing the AV button on the TV's remote or by pressing channel 0 on the TV's remote.

Is there any difference in the way I access it?

After chatting with someone about the problem, somethignhas come to mind ;)

Once I have tuned the TV to the video, do I need to tune a channel from the video to the digi box?

4. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    What box have you got as some Stb's allow the vcr to replay back through the digibox Therfore no scart needed from vcr to tv.Also some only pass the rf signal through .

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    If the video is a good one with two scart sockets at the back, you could connect the digibox to the video using a scart lead, then using the remaining scart socket on the video, connect this to the tv. You then need to sellect AV1/AV2 on your video to watch digital on your tv or to record digi tv.
    Your sound - is the scart lead loose,??
    Nigel

6. mrmark01

mrmark01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Apologies for the late reply... DIYing all weekend...

Right, I think I might be being a bit thick here. :confused:

Once the TV is tuned into the video, must I then tune the video to the digi box???

If this is correct, I assume that when I want to want TV via the digi box, I would first select the video channel on the Tv remote and then access the correct AV channel from the video... :confused:

I have never liked videos... :(

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Depending on your TV's capabilities the best picture will be obtained from connecting the digi-box directly to the TV using Scart and enabling RGB on the STB (and ensuring the scart goes into an RGB enabled socket on your TV)

VCR's only use composite and so a scart or arial co-ax connection between the STB and the VCR and the VCR and the TV will give more or less the same quality of picture/sound

If you do the above the better picture would be from the 'av' channel (as this will be RGB format) for the STB and no difference for the VCR between 'av' and '0'

I am not aware if VCRs can pass through RGB signals if you send the STB signal via scart via the VCR to the TV