AV cabinets

Yaka

Prominent Member
Reaction score
im looking for a cheap AV cabinet with lockable doors to keep the kids from messing my settings up,ive been to various furniture shops today but cant find one that the Yammy A5 will fit in ,any sugestions?

Build your own.

Measure everything that you own and this way the stand will be unique and all your equipment will go exactly were you want, it makes it look so much better and is worth the time and the effort.

Just use good quality materials and do not rush, if you are not that clever with a saw and stuff give the plans and dimensions to your local wood yard ( dont bother with B&Q ) and they will cut everything to size, sand the wood and usually give you some pointers

Aye Standsunique.com do top designs at top prices. i am looking to buy there stands when i upgrade to higer specs. my thinking is this £200 odd quid saved now ,is 200 quid going for a better amp :) .so i`m stepping into the realms of DIY . wish me luck :)

Yas,

Duncan's advice is good - I built my own cabinet and surprised myself ;)

When finishing off the cabinet take plenty of time varnishing/staining and put on plenty of coats (of varnish, even if I am an anorak!), sanding down with finer paper each time between coats. When it feels smooth you know you've done enough and it will make a lot of difference to the way the finished product will look.

Another tip is to leave plenty of ventilation so you don't have to worry about amps overheating. The sides to my cabinet are open with frames with black speaker cloth (available from maplin online) stretched over them and stapled in place. The whole frame is then held in place with velcro - sounds a bit heath robinson, but looks cool and does the job superbly - depending on your design, something like this may be possible.

When it comes to finishing off the rough edges etc, you can use lengths of picture frame mouldings or quadrant or whatever - B&Q sell a varity of that kind of thing, but done right it can compensate for a lack of brilliant carpentry - I guess you're not a chippy otherwise you wouldn't have posted here in the first place :)

Send me an email if you want any more help or pictures of what went into mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom