1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Cabinet

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Matt F, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just found the perfect AV cabinet (as far as my needs go):

http://www.quadraspire.co.uk/new.htm (page down a bit to QKAV Cabinet)

I could get all my gear in there (2 shelves) but it's not too high, it has sides and locking front doors i.e. it's kiddie proof. The icing on the cake is the way the doors slide away into the unit when open.

So what's the problem? The price - it lists at £900 :eek:. I might be able to find it a bit cheaper but it's still going to be £700 plus.

The question is, has anyone seen anything similar at a more reasonable price? My requirements are pretty much as I've detailed above although I could live without the disappearing doors.

Maybe I should take a picture of it along to a pine furniture workshop and say "How much to knock one of these up?"

Any advice would be appreciated.

Matt.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that has to be the most ridiculously priced piece of kit I have ever seen!:eek: It looks like something you could pick up at an office outfitters for £100 or so!
    I hope no-one would encourage these sort of prices by actually buying it.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you're being a tad harsh on the design - it is nicely made audiophile unit with various real wood veneers etc. although I do agree that it's got a bit of a '70s look about it. It's not the style I'd choose given the choice but, as I said, I haven't seen any other cabinets like this (sides, doors, 2 shelves etc).

Where I do agree with you 100% is on the price. What makes it worse is that the upright HiFi cabinet version - http://www.quadraspire.co.uk/qk.htm - lists at £400 but I've seen it at £320 which, although not cheap, is comparable with some of the better open hifi racks. I can't understand why the AV cabinet costs over twice as much!

Matt.

4. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, nicey but pricey. Those funny-shaped legs at the top of the Q4 reference shelf unit appear to be made of a human's finger bones...

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, I finally bought an AV unit - no, not the £900 Quadraspire - I came to my senses and realised how ridulously expensive that is and went for something similar, nicer looking in fact and (now that I've added some good internal bracing) pretty solid. I can get all my gear in it and it has lockable doors - everything I wanted in fact. A picture of this unit is attached - how much - a ridiculously cheap £75 would you believe - aren't IKEA wonderful!

Attached Files:

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very nice... bet that fits in better at home too. I clicked the Arca link that appears on the forum and although they have some gorgeous TV cabinets their biggest is £625!!:eek: :eek:

I am thinking about a DIY cabinet at the mo, solid heavy wood jobbie and put those power tools to good use... although I might also take a look in Ikea I like their designs

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It does fit in better at home and it has WAF (she suggested it in fact which is great because now she can't complain about it, even though she thinks it's a bit big now it's assembled).

I did check out the Arca stuff which is very nice (but expensive) but the 200 series didn't have enough internal height for my gear and the 400 series is just too big.

DIY is always an option but I don't think you could build the unit I bought from IKEA yourself for anywhere near £75 when you take time and materials into account. You could end up building something better but, equally, it could all go wrong and for the sake of £75 I just don't think it's worth the hassle.

The IKEA unit definitely needs some internal bracing as before I did this there was some left-to-right movement (simply because the metal studs/cams and the dowel joints can't provide a totally rigid joint). All I used to brace it was four of those cheap big (ugly) grey shelf brackets (£1 each at B&Q) at the back of the unit where they won't be seen (once the back is on) and two little black shelf brackets for just inside the front of the unit at the top corners - you can't see them with the doors closed and they are barely noticeable with the doors open.

So, for less than £10 it is now pretty solid. The only thing I am also going to do is make up a plywood back for it as this will be a lot stiffer than flimsy hardboard back supplied with it.

Matt.