1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV cabinet, not a rack

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by steev, Nov 15, 2002.

1. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're doing a little DIY job of building a house. It's getting there and I need to think about where the AV kit is going. The living area is open plan, but there will be a shelving partition between the living and dining areas.

My plan is that part of the partition should contain the AV kit. I reckon I need at least 6 shelves with some having more height for the receiver and other large items. To protect it from the kids and keep it discrete I'm thinking of a tinited glass door. The back will have a door as well to give easy access to the cables. One thought is to use a metal mesh on the back to improve the ventilation. I know the cable box (NTL Pace) gets pretty warm and there may be a PC in there as well.

Has anyone built anything like this? I'm not after audiophile stand quality, but I want something pretty rigid to keep the vibrations down and keep it all safe.

I'm guessing that something like thick MDF would be a cheap option. Not sure how to fix the shelves, especially if I want to allow some adjustment. I'm not sure yet what the outer finish will have to be to match the room.

Any suggestions?

--
    Steve

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    With DIY projects I always find its best to imitate and slightly innovate. Copy somethign that you know works and mod/customise it to your own taste.

I would recommend looking at the racks made by Mid-Atlantic, they are the best racking systems that you can get, and cost a lot too.

try
    http://www.middleatlantic.com/

Good luck and post some pics when you can.