AV-box with DVI output that works on a PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Peabo, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having learned that the DVI board for the PWD6 allows for 2x the amount of gradiation in dark scenes, I was wondering if anyone knew of an AV-box that had component, VGA, DVI and SCART inputs that could output everything down a DVI cable. I've heard that not everything will work perfectly with the PWD6's DVI board so I wan't to be cautious.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the LumagenDVi and iscan HD+ both do this mate

3. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have thought your best bet would be a scaler like a lumagen or a Iscan HD+

Edit: HD beat me to it!

4. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was afraid you'd say that! Ah well, who cares about poverty when you got an HD-ready PWD! ;) Time to save those pennies

5. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure it's subjective, but is there a clear winner out of those 2?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    depends who you ask and what you need mate the clear winner is a panny with scaler pro calibrated!

7. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be connecting a Pioneer DV-575a, Xbox & PS2 via component, PC & Dreamcast via VGA, Sky+, Gamecube via RGB scart.

Since neither of the scalers have scart inputs, I guess I'd have to connect my current scart switcher box to a JS SCART-VGA adapter and plug that into the scaler. It's gonna confuse the hell out of anyone who tries to use my TV!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    they dont have scart sockets but they will accept RGB+Sync (RGBscart) and S-video and composite so all the video signals scart accepts as well as RGBHV, Componnent , DVi and SDi (with option module)

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    Peabo

The Lumagen and DVDO products have differing strengths and weaknesses - both work well though for out and out Video Processing I'd go with Lumagen.

Both units are quite tricky to configure if your not used to working with lots of differing video standards and we usually advise/include an Install/ISF Calibration in the mix when supplying either unit.

As Horny says with a suitable cable (SCART to 4RCA) you can Input the RGB video from your SCART equipped sources - we use custom cables from the likes of VanDamme.

Once the Source/Video Processor/Plasma Display signal 'chain' is configured its relatively straightforward to operate - the Video Processor becomes the Video hub for your system; the only 'confusing' bit is ensuring your listening to the same source as your viewing; a programmable remote with 'macro' capabilities can help.

Best regards

Joe

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the audio delay option on the HD+ along with its simpler menu structure makes it a better distance buy but if you are having ISF/Pro set-up and AV amp can handle delay the the luamgen may give more bang per buck (has more inputs/options) but the delay function on HD+ is the killer for anyone who experienced lip sync issues.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    Hello Horny

The menu on a DVDO iScan HD or HD+ is just as alien to a novice as the menu on a Lumagen - most folk struggle to get an image of any sort never mind worry about the menu structure.

We usually pre configure the Processors to at least give the customer basic Plug and Play connectivity before we ship them.

As you say Audio Delay is important once you start to separate Audio and Video signals via differing signal paths - though using a low cost delay such as the Felston DD340 (SRP £165.00 - http://www.felston.com/) with the Lumagen is just as viable as using the inbuilt delay in the iScan if you dont have a Delay function in your AV Reciever.

Best regards

Joe

12. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Yeah that iScan menu is in no way as simple to use as it's layout might suggest. I guess it appears simple when you've only just bought it and everything seems alien wherever in the menu it is. But when it comes to building up custom resolutions it's all just in the wrong place and difficult to navigate through.

The Lumagens logical tree-structure is actually not too different from the iScan (starting from input, output, config and then breaking down into sub-menus) albeit being text-only on the Lumagen. The temptation is to look at the lumagen, see the rather 80s style machine text and assume (incorrectly) the thing is going to be complicated. The fact is all scalers are complicated, and the iScans blue faded bars which take over the whole damn screen is not going to help! It's not night and day between the two product's menu systems, and I'm trying not to knock the iScans performance which is very good for the money. But the Lumagen is quicker, makes more sense, doesn't get in the way and offers quicker access to more powerful functions (although the iScan doesn't necessarily have all these functions). When you get into the flow of things the next option down is usually the one you were going to go onto next, and when you are repeating the same process over the menu is fast enough for quick-fire presses without looking at the screen. I can't really think of any factor that makes the iScan simpler to use, unless you are extremely fortunate and one of the presets has done enough of a job that you don't bother customising!

Prob best for the Video Processing forum to find which scaler is the better for you, I just don't like to see "iScan simple to use statements" being thrown around when it isn't :lesson:

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    Hello Liam

As you say the colour graphics 'look' sexier on the DVDO - though I much prefer the unobtrusive 'DOS' green text of the Lumagen.

Lumagen also have a 'recovery' feature - if your Processor has been set up by someone in the know and you fancy a fiddle then your safe knowing you can recall the 'saved' settings if it all goes pear shaped.

Best regards

Joe

14. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I did actually have a really long post written about how straight-forward it is to setup several different configs for each source, running several output resolutions usually to a projector and plasma, both requiring 50 and 60hz variants. I went on to say how good the Luma was with copy commands, and how quickly you can just flick between the various memories (once you've got your head around it) allocating this to that and tweaking on the way. Each source requiring a different set of grayscales and colour settings for each of it's output resolutions. But I don't think the iScan has this kind of functionality in the first place, so it doesn't really equate to an even comparison of ease-of-use. Perhaps it was just too much config for the "simple" menu system so DVDO left it out!!!