AV amps with audio delay

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 3wrLcs, Mar 10, 2003.

1. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to purchase an AV amp in the £750 range. However, I hate lip sync problems and am therefore keen to have a master audio delay. At that price other than the 3803 are there other amps with that feature?. As with many people I'm keen on the VSX-D2011 particularly for the auto set up feature does that have the master delay?

Thanks Brendan

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty certain that the 2011 doesn't have lip synch adjustment facilities.:(

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Strange, I replied to this last night but it seems my post was eaten.

Anyway, AFAIK the only receiver in this price range with that feature is the Denon 3803.

4. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,ve studied the pioneer websit but no mention for any of their amp having a master audio delay. I guess it is mostly a Denon feature. Can a DVD player be used to add a delay? I'm not so worried about delays from other sources so if DVD can be sorted individually then the Pioneer may still be an option.

Does the 3803 have any speaker equilisation?

Brendan

5. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I recall correctly, the AX-10i has it, but only in 5ms steps as opposed to 1ms steps on the Denons.
    I would need to go back to look at the manual to be sure as I don't own one.
    Cheers,

6. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    3wrLcs - I'm not quite sure what you mean by speaker equalisation.

In addition to the master audio delay (which is adjustable on a per source basis), in the setup menu of the Amp you can adjust the distances of each of the 9.1 speakers and the base output level of each speaker as well.

Once this is done you can then adjust the levels of the speakers independantly for each source - if you want to. This is quite useful as you may want less effect from the sub when playing CD's than with DVD's for example.

Derek
    PS when I say 9.1 I'm merely referring to the number of speakers the 3803 can drive i.e. FrontL/R, Centre, Surround A L/R, Surround B L/R, Back L/R, subwoofer (line out). It doesn't offer true 9.1 decoding although I do find that using both surround outputs improves the effects.

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I was considering this the other day ...

I have a Rotel Processor and separate power amps. Can I put a standard digital delay line between the 2 components to get the same net result as an amp with built in master delay.

If so, would I need to put a delay on all 7 channels, or would it be sufficient just to put the delay on the centre (and possibly left and right too) because the problem is most evident with speach and most of that comes from the centre.

Has anyone tried this ...

I had a search on the internet and found the Beringer Shark multi-function unit (for around £70) which includes a digital delay and thought this would be perfect.

Any comments??

8. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer AX10 does not have a delay but the AX10i does, there may be an upgrade available for the AX10 but that is yet to be confirmed.

By speaker equilisation what I think I meant was: my understanding of Pioneer's MCCAC is that effectively each channel has some form of graphic equiliser available. This may help to smooth out the frequency response relative to a room. That may be an incorrect assumption but if it is correct then I was interested to know if the 8303 has a similar facility.

The idea of a seprate delay line seems a good one. I'm keen on the Pioneer series due to auto setup but think that the Denon master delay is also very important. I presume that it is best to purchase a sound pressure meter if you go down the Denon route.

Brendan