1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

av amps - why so many connections?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jimmy_b, Apr 3, 2005.

1. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am thinking of getting myself a surround channel amp. However, all I would connect to it would be my dvd player via a single digital cable and then the speaker connections. I don't need 5 sets of analogue ins and countless video connections/pass throughs. I just want an amp that decodes and amplifies. It seems such a waste to buy an amp with so many inputs/outputs that I simply wouldn't use.

So, are there are any av amps which simply concentrate on amplifying (rather than cramming in as many possible connections as the unit will allow)? In any price range.

Also, does anyone out there (apart from commercial users perhaps) who actually need all these extra connections!??

Cheers
    Jim

2. Mr Kennedy

Mr Kennedy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well you can add loads to it, Sky+ etc, A Radio output, Playstation, Xbox etc

I would never have enough of these just in case. And of course you want something that will at least be future proof for a good few years yet.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    usually too many phonos, not enough digital coax and optical, not enough video or component inputs.
    phono sockets cost 5p each or less, removing them from a £400 amp, is not gonna lower the price.

4. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments guys. But I still don't really understand....

HTGUN -
    I can see your point but I don't see how 5 sets of phonos really help here. Surely you still only need digital ins? Given that my set up would be sourced from a PC I'd only need one connection!!. Games - sound output from PC via soundcard's digital out. Internet radio - ditto. Digital music - ditto. DVD player in PC - ditto!

pjclark1 -
    I am fully with you on the "too many phonos" front but why does an amp need any video ins? Surely it's just for sound processing/amplification isn't it? What do you use video ins for??

Thanks
    Jimmy

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Errr, yes. (Well, need is perhaps too strong; you don't need a TV, DVD or amp etc. But.....)

DVD player
    Laserdisc Player
    Cassette deck
    Set Top Box
    VCR

all routed via the amp - both audio and (except the cassette deck) video.

Reason? My projector only has one SVideo input and doesn't reproduce sound.

Oh, and convenience.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think the important point is that jimmy_b is sourcing everything through his computer whilst the majority of us don't even if the computer is connected to the amplifier.

Why not just use a power amplifier and get your computer to do all of the decoding and volume control as well?

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The video ins are all for upconverting to feed my plasma screen
    that only has 2 inputs. Where else would I connect Sky, Dvd recorder, dvd player, xbox, divx player, etc
    After all, this is an "AV" forum, even if YOU only use the "A" bit.

8. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right, laser disc players etc. do not play a part in my little AV world. A power amp is a possibility but I am worried that I might lose quality by having the DtoA done in the PC. I assume that the DAC in a decent amp would be better than that of a soundcard but maybe I am wrong. Are there many 5 channel power amps anyway?
    I guess a dedicated stereo amp and a cheap second hand 5 channel might be the way forward but I would like to try and reduce the number of components I have.....

Cheers
    Jimmy

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I don't know of an amp to suit your needs, however if you need a new mobile phone this may suit...http://www.silverphone.co.uk ;) :D

10. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you sarcastic b*gger :)