1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Amps too deep for most stands?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by guido, Feb 24, 2005.

1. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Been looking at HiFi stands for my new kit and was about to buy one when noticed the depth on all the ones interested in was too shallow for most AV Receivers! :eek:

Most HiFi racks seem to be 400/420mm deep that I have looked at.. e.g. Sonus Elite, Soundstyle XS105 etc. The only one I have found that is deeper is the Sound Organisation Z5 (500mm)... Most AV Amps see to be at least 430mm deep with the Marantz have been looking at 463mm!

Anyone any alternatives to these? (<£300).. in the same sort of style (PS. not Optimum.. and needs to be in black/graphite).

Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I found that too, so I cut a hole at the back of my rack and the amp sticks out the back. Improves the cooling no end, and makes fiddling with the plugs very easy. (it's amazing what you can do with a jigsaw in a few minutes)

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Guido
    what amp will be putting on the rack, I've got a XS105 and my Onkyo 989 (depth 451mm) fits fine on the bottom shelf with all 4 feet on the shelf, but as noted it does indeed stick out the back.

4. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ..almost certainly a Marantz... which seem to come up deepest at 463mm. Will have to see how far the feet are from the corners I guess.
    Am going to local Sevenoaks to look at Sound Org and Soundstyle racks this weekend... and also have a chat about AV Amps... am deciding between 5400OSE, 5500 or if I can find a 7400 at a decent price! :eek: Will have a look at Marantz feet placement whilst there too. The XS105 is nice and this along with Sonus Elite and Sound Org Z5 is my shortlist :)

5. theendisnye

theendisnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. mhifoe

mhifoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    AV Amp depth is definitely a problem, as I found out myself recently.
    However, things are not as bad as they seem if you have a bit of space behind your rack.

I have a Marantz SR7400 which has a specified depth of 463mm, but this figure includes the binding posts and volume control.

I've just checked the following with a tape measure.
    Case Depth: 420mm
    Feet Depth: 390mm

Therefore a 463mm Marantz amp will easily a 400mm deep rack if you have plenty of space behind it. My HiFi rack (old sound Soundstyle) is only 360mm deep but I have the Marantz on it. It does overhang at both the front and back though.

A some point in the future I may get a bigger shelf for it.

7. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    mhifoe... thanks for measuring your 7400 :thumbsup:

I went to my local Sevenoaks yesterday and have pretty much decided on the Sound Organisation Z5. Its £100 cheaper than equivilent racks from Soundstyle etc and I like it!!! I was a bit worried about the cantelever design, but it is very solid. It is deep and has a greater useable width too as no side supports, which will be useful as will need to get a couple of smaller components side by side.

Can get on the net £199 free delivery... but I think I'm going to buy from Sevenoaks even though £219 cos they are a very nice bunch of people who are always helpful :smashin:

Thanks again
    Guido