1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Amps to suit M&K Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by megson, Jul 12, 2003.

1. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi

A lot of the AV magazines I read and dealers I have spoken to seem to suggest that certain companies AV amps particularly suit other companies speakers. Rotel Amps complementing B&W speakers being the one trotted out most frequently.

Has anyone got an opinion regarding AV amps that generally suit the sound produced by M&K speakers.

Thanks

Megson

2. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My immediate reaction is not true! While it's true that some speakers' idiosyncracies are mitigated by complementary idiosyncracies of certain electronics I'd say there is enough variation between different models from the same manufacturer to make such a generalisation invalid.

Not wanting to start any controversy or anything but the distribution of Rotel has now been taken over by B&W. It would be easier for a dealer if both brands together did provide a winning combination!

Regarding M&K in particular, they are (generally) low impedance power hungry so choose and amplifier which is relatively high end with lots of power in reserve and can handle difficult loads. Others will come with many conflicting suggestions ;) .

Charles.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Actually, regarding the Rotel/B&W thing, I heard something interesting from a Rotel rep a couple of years ago. Apparently B&W use Rotel amps in their powered speakers (power towers and subs). So it is possible that B&W took up distribution of Rotel kit because of the synergy the two companies share.

As far as M&K speakers go, from the few of times I've heard them, they are quite neutral. therefore any good quality, powerful, amp should do. I have heard them partnered to an Onkyo 989 amp and they were great. The Denon A11SR ran them fine but they were demonstrably less vivid. The Denon 3802 was completely out of their league and didn't have nearly the power required to drive them. I would think that M&K speakers really do need high end kit to drive them, certainly flagship integrateds seem to be the mark you should be looking at.

Russell

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    So will a Rotel 1075 present sufficient power to drive low impedance speakers such as m&k or do they idealy require more power ?

5. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Parasound HCA-2205 will be a good partner.

I used that combination a while back.

Adzman

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The 1075 will drive M&K's perfectly, being as it is, a better sounding amp than most AV flagship amps anyhow. I believe that THX1138 is now driving his M&K's with the Rotel 1075 to good effect.
    Something like the Parasound HCA-2205, as Adzman suggests, would be better (a lot better, actually) but not necessary. Speakers like M&K, KEF reference, Jamo Concert ranges need good amplification if you are going to listen at any kind of volume above average. I know of someone who damaged the tweeter in his Jamo Concert 8's and had to pay to get it replaced - and they are expensive tweeters - all becuse of inadequate amplification (and a little stupidity on his part, too).

Russell

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Spligsey - How much power does the Parasound produce and how much is it ?

I have a limited budget and was thinking of going for a 1075 to power my M&K 850 speakers. Will it not be good enough ?

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Thanks Russell just read your post after I posted my reply to Spligsey. I like my cinema loud and luckily the neighbours are a distance away. Will thre 1075 run out of puff after average volume ?

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not unless you have a huge room. I use a Denon AVC10SE to drive mine in an average sized living room and they can whip up quite a storm

10. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tiren my M&K S-150 with both Bryston adn KRELL amps (around 300W per channel) and I give KRELL slight edge.

You are not saying what M&K spakers you have in mind and if you've already purchased them.

Obvious quastion is if you are thinking of the larger M&K's why not sirisouly consider active (powerred) M&K and solve both the speaker and the amp problem in one go?

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Branxx - not sure what megson has but I have recently ordered the m&k 850's for the front three and m&k column surrounds for the rear channels.

I wish I could afford the active m&k's or get krell amps. That would sove all the problems :(

12. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rags,

I started with LCR-55 and Yamaha DSP-A1 and that was quite impressive. Your MCR-850 are excellent choice. Keep driving them hard.

13. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am currently powering 5 x M&K S85 with the Rotel 1075, using a 3801 as a proc.

I initially tried running them with just the 3801 but the sound produced was very lean and bright.

They really do need plenty of power. I find the Rotel an excellent match for the M&Ks.

There is obviously better amplification out there, but at what cost??? :rolleyes:

Get the Rotel guys, you won't regret it. ;)

SMP

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    IanJ, SMP, russraff & Branxx - cheers guys, you have provided me with sufficient reassurance - as soon as the M&K speakers arrive I will order the Rotel combo.

Cheers
    Rags

15. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    5 x 220W and £2500.

I used to drive my Dynaudios with a RMB-1075 and they're a similar load to the M&Ks. It did just fine ;)

D.

16. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

rags.

Keep an eye out for some used Parasound HCA-2205's.
    A short while ago, there were quite a few hovvering about.
    Prices seem to range from £1500 - £1800'ish.
    A few Sevenoaks outlets were offloading them.

Due to the new Parasound power amps being available, you might see a few 2205's!!!!!

Adzman

17. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Thanks will keep an eye out.

Also noted that Parasounds new series has an A52 amp listing at £1700 - rated at 225watts x 5 into 4 ohms (which the 850 m&k's are). Anyone heard this amp ?

Also I am concerned that although the 850's are 4 ohm speakers the M&K column surrounds are 8 ohm speakers - so the amp will put in 225watts to the fronts each and 125watts to the surrounds(similarly with the Rotel amp). Anyone experienced this kind of problem before ? I suppose I will have to tweak the levels using an SPL meter but M&K reassure me that this will not be a problem and the column surrounds blend seamlessly with the 850's. Any opinions or advice people can give would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rags

18. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    To clarify, the Parasound HCA-2205A (and HCA-2205AT) are rated at 225W into 8 ohms and 300W into 4 ohms.

D.

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have 4 ohm M&Ks at the front and cheap n cheerful Missions at the rear and don't have any problems

20. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    rags, i have the halo a52 with m&ks and it sounds very good to me!!!

21. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks everybody.

If I stretch my budget to the 850's I don't think that I will be able to afford to do them justice amplification wise.

Will probably set my sights a bit lower in the M&K range or even Dynaudios which I do like.

I suppose its always better to leave yourself something to aspire to!!

Megson

22. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    When talking about power requirements to do a speaker justice etc can we have some context please. i.e. room size. I'm not sure people grasp how important room size is in the equation.

Edit:

Example, the recommended amplification for a Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE in a medium size room is >80W, for a small size room its only >30W.

23. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Megson,

Does this mean that if you went ahead and purchased the 850s you wouldn't be able to afford the Rotel RMB-1075? If so, why don't you consider the (almost) identical RB-985? The spec is almost the same and I don't think you'd notice any audible difference between the two. I've seen these recently advertised for around £450 - £500, which is a saving of £350 over a new 1075.

Other than that, there's always the M&K 750s or the new 'K' series, which I've seen some very good deals on lately.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

SMP

**I've just noticed a RB-985 MkII for sale in these very classifieds for the bargain price of £350, if I were you Megson I'd be very interested in that! ;) **

24. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Megson,

If you can get yourself on a cheap flight to the USA (or ship em from there). All M&K speakers are cheap there in comparison - for list prices just substitute $'s for £'s. In addition US M&K dealers are willing to haggle as well !!!!!!!! I secured approx a 25% discount from the US list.

The three front 850's list at £1500 here and I got them for £724 and that includes local US sales tax. They come with a worldwide warranty as well. You will have to pay VAT and duty here though (potentially;) )

Then go buy whatever amp you want
    :D :D :D

Regards
    Rags