AV amps & speakers???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by co, Feb 20, 2001.

1. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to buy my 1st home cinema system from scratch, the short list is down to the following-
    Arcam diva av amp & diva dvd player
    or Sony strd940 & a dvd to match(multi region+r+rw a must)or any other av/dvd set up Ive missed(must come in silver finish.I seem to be moving towards the Arcam set up as it looks good & they will go together, It also has less dsp type settings(disco,church etc)which I don`t like anyway,It also has seperate bass/treble control(does the sony?)I would like to know if the Arcam set up will be worth the extra money?
    (equal preference for surround & music)
    My short list for speakers are Mission fs2(5.1 set up), Mission m73/74 fronts & m series rest and lastly Kef 2005.
    The room is 4m x 4m & I would prefer small speakers if poss but I dont want to lose out on music.I will try for a home demo of the above but any help much appreciated.

2. RobG

RobG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd definitely recommend try before you buy - I bought an amp & speakers recently and I had a short list of recommended 'best buys'- none of which I ended up buying (although the Yamaha DSP-A5 is now a recommended 'best buy', but guessing at your budget your looking at around £500 for an amp so the Sony is a good bet).

Try to listen to as many combinations as you can - remember you're the one forking out vast amounts of money - most assistants are only too happy to play with the gear in their shops!

Rob

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it from your post, that you want stuff from only one manufacturer.

I imagine the Arcam will be quite a bit better than the sony, but to partner it I would have a look at more expensive speakers than you are at the moment.

Ie. Mission 770's/780's, B&W 600's/Cdm nt's, etc. Just get a copy of What-hifi? or something to get a shortlist going. Definately have a listen though, as rob said its your cash and you are the one who has to live with them long term.

If space really is a problem, how about having a high quality stereo pair for music, and keep the sub/sat systems for film, as they probably aren't going to cut it for music.

Jim

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    Re DVD player - "+r+rw a must" - avoid Sony. Most (all?) don't play CD-Rs.

Could I suggest you shortlist the DENON AVR3801 for your amplifier?