1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Amps for Music

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Timmah, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Timmah

Timmah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would a £700 AV amp like the Denon 2805 or Yamaha 1500 deal with 2 channel music when compared to an amp like my 7-8 year old Technics SU-A900MKII amp (about £400 when new)? Like the sound this amp produces and want to upgrade to home theatre amp but don't want to trade on musical ability...

2. mowbli

mowbli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Denon 3805 for £799 from Sevenoaks in Notts today, so shop around...'

I heard it with both vid and CD, sounds FANTASTIC!

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    If you don't want to compromise stereo playback ability then look no further than the Arcam AVR250 or AVR300, they are both far better than any of the Denon's for stereo and easily on a par for movies.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I would go with either the Arcams mentioned by Crusty (AVR250 - £1000 rrp, AVR300 - £1300 rrp), or the Marantz SR7500 (£699 rrp), also have a look at the SR8500 (£1000 rrp). Arcam and Marantz have the most muscial reputations in the circa £1K bracket and below.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I have a Yamaha 750SE and for the money the unit has very good stereo playback. I preferred this over the Denon 2805, mainly for its musical representation. The Yamaha models have a ‘Pure Direct’ mode which switch off all the video circuitry and display to give a ‘cleaner’ sound.

However, for your budget (double the price of the Yamaha 750SE) I would consider the new Marantz 7500 or Yamaha 1500. The Arcam’s are brilliant for music, although outside your price range. You maybe could also consider an ex-dem Arcam AVR-200?

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Dont discount Nad either they also make very musical receivers,You can get the t763 for around £799 try and get a demo before parting with your cash.Btw i used to have a technics hifi and find there stuff to be on the warm side which the nads also do.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    Ps also had a nad t752 so have heard both makes.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Oops, forgot NAD, yup, NADS are right up there for musicality too :D

8. Timmah

Timmah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys! :thumbsup:
    Kazman, the SR 7500 has caught my eye, did you compare it to any others before you bought it and what made you decide on the Marantz in the end? Also, has it got 2 zones with independant sources/vol for each?
    Cheers

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    My SR7500 arrives on Sat :), so I can answer all your questions then :D

I currently have an SR7400 which I have sold on, and I'm doing the exchange this weekend. The SR7500 is an evolution of the SR7400, so I ordered on the basis that I loved the SR7400 immensely :D and the extra features on the SR7500 tempted me.

It does have dual zone, but I do not know if the volume control is independant on each zone. I never used that functionality on the SR7400 unfortunately :(.

The SR7400 was a cracker though, and has enough power to drive the Quads easily. The SR7500 should be even better :D and it comes with improved movie performance WOOHOO!

EDIT: The SR7400 was actually the basis for the SR7500 and SR8500. In fact, bar a little power and some minor additions, the SR7500 is the SR8500 without the DVI switching. Tons of Fun can confirm this I believe.