1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV Amps and HDTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Turbocharged5, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm starting to plan my progression to HD. As soon as the XBox 360 is release, like most people I am sure, I'll be looking to upgrade my current kit. Perhaps one of the Samsung DLP rear projector TV's - Samsung SP50L7HX? (I'm not to experienced with rear projectors but I don't fancy the burnin risks of a plasma and LCDs don't seem to cut the mustard when it comes to contrast).

Currently my TV works as a monitor with all sources switched through my AV Amp - Onkyo TX-SR701E.

Does upgrading to HD mean that I will need to upgrade my AV Amp as well?

Perhaps at best I can use the XBox as the HD source and everything else through the amp?

Cheers.

2. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    you will be ok there will be no need o upgrade your amp,all dvd players that have hdmi still have either optical or coax out,just carry on as normal :thumbsup:

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    If you are only using your amp for audio then future HD stuff should work fine via coax or optical with DD5.1 or DTS audio.

If you currently use your amp to route and switch video - either composite or s-video - then you won't be able to route HD signals in the same way, as these will be carried by HDMI (or in some cases also analogue component).

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HD itself will not necessarily mean a change to your amp (future amps are likely to do HDMI switching which may be beneficial) but a change to blu-ray/HD-DVD may. There certainly is no reason to rush out and change just yet, infact, I believe that it would be foolish to do just that. Some manufacturers (the manufacturer of my equipment certainly is) are holding back on what they will release to handle the additional codecs that HD disc media will bring simply because things are not 100% set in stone.

-Ian

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Passing the picture through the amp ensures that the audio and video are kept in synch.

6. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx everyone for responding.

To sum up then... Currently my AV Amp used to switch Audio and Video will no longer be able to switch video if I wish to use HD as it does not support the HDMI or DVI interface.

Thus for now, HD will have to go directly into the TV and the audio will be decoded via my AV Amp.

There may be some Audio/Video sync issues?

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    AFAIK there shouldn't be any major sync issues introduced this way.

The major AV sync issues are caused by displays like LCD, Plasma, DLP etc. that require frame-store techniques to de-interlace and otherwise process video and thus introduce a frame or two of delay. If the audio is not delayed similarly you can end up with sync issues (it is for this reason you can buy audio delays that let you compensate for display delays) It also causes problems in some broadcast environments that have moved to plasma or DLP/LCD projector based monitoring - as there can be as much as 3 frames of delay introduced in these... (Noticable, and annoying)

AV amps don't normally touch the video - whether HDMI, composite or S-video - they just pass it on. Even if they add OSD stuff to the composite or s-video feeds this doesn't introduce a major delay - they certainly don't have HD resolution frame stores so won't come close to adding a frame of delay?

8. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Amp (Onkyo TX-SR701E) supports component video - does this mean that I can break out the HDMI to component level and put this through the AMP?

I've just noticed that Onkyo have updated its range providing a TX-SR702E which now supports 3 wide band component - i.e. HD compatable.

Updated Onkyo 7.1 THX AV AMP with Wideband Component Video

Is Component Video not analogue unlike DVI and HDMI which is Digitial?

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello all

HD can be Analogue - via YUV 'Component' or RGBHV (usually from a PC).

HD can also be Digital - again YUV or RGB via a DVI or HDMI connector.

Digital HD can be copy Protected (HDCP) or non copy protected.

So a fair old range of signal and connectivity standards to worry about.

If you have a fairly new AV Receiver with YUV 'Component' Inputs and Outputs chances are it will have a wide enough signal bandwidth to cope with an analogue HD signal without introducing artefacts - your AV Receiver specs should include info on what its designed to carry on the YUV signal 'bus'.

If your happy with your AV Receiver and simply want to add the ability to switch Digital video sources (HD or SD) then something like a Zektor DVS5.1 video switcher may be what you require; see http://www.zektor.com/dvs51/index.html

There will be lots of products in the coming year or so that will try and combine support for Analogue and Digital video switching into one chassis - some will succeed others will probably fail.

Best regards

Joe

PS Burn In is a red herring re current Plasma Display technology!

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    No - HDMI is digital only, consumer (i.e. 3xPhono) component is analogue only. Any conversion from HDMI to component is against the terms of licensing the HDMI protocol AIUI.

DVI confuses the issue slightly, as some forms of the DVI connector can carry both digital AND analogue video...

Component video outputs and inputs on consumer gear are analogue - it is similar in concept to RGB analogue.

HDMI is digital only.

DVI is usually used as a digital input on displays, but PC DVI outputs also usually carry an analogue RGB output as well (so that PCs with DVI outputs can support VGA monitors without adding an extra connector)

11. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am too going this direction as I do not wish to have multiple wires running into my plasma screen.

I am planning to use a (digital) HDMI connection into the screen and want to get a decent AV receiver inbetween which can upconvert/upscale various input sources. Currently there is only the Philips DFR9000 which can do that, and I really don't know how well it can do its job. According to the specs it can upscale any-to-HDMI, which includes two HDMI inputs and two component inputs. Sufficient for my purposes.

As my time schedule is same as yours (Xbox 360 in November) I'll probably wait a few months to see whether other AV receivers will be available by that time - for the same price, that is, as I do not plan to spend €1000 or more on an AV receiver.

12. KS Rai

KS Rai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, er, Turbocharged 5...

FYI, your Onkyo TX-SR701E possesses HD-compatible 50MHz Component Video switching (2 inputs/1 output), perfectly fine for handling 720p/1080i HD output.

Also FYI, 1st generation Sky HD PVRs will offer HD via analogue component as well as HDMI outputs. How much ongoing programming will be available via the component outputs is an unknown but Sky officially maintains that all programming will initially be available via analogue component as well as HDMI.

See this link for further info...
    http://hd.sky.com/

What is fairly certain is that 2nd generation Sky HD PVRs will be HDMI-output equipped only. That being the case, if you want to keep using your current Onkyo receiver, I should purchase a 1st generation Sky HD PVR the moment it comes out. :smashin:

13. Turbocharged5

Turbocharged5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the advice everyone! :thumbsup:

14. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With HDMI supporting uncompressed multichannel audio, aren't we moving to an era where the player does the decoding - in which case the receiver doesn't need to know the codecs?